Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't done a thing to my chain except adjust the tightness on it yesterday. It has about 1800 miles on it.

What do you guys do to yours? Clean first, then re-lubricate? What products do you use? Let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I try to lube mine when ever I can remember/arsed to do it. Usually I just give it a squirt from the lube can.
Clean chain very rarely.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I use WD-40 to blast it clean. (You can also buy a spray can of chain cleaner at most bike shops). Then wipe it down good and apply chain lube. DON'T OVER-DO IT WITH THE LUBE.....you'll be flinging it for days. I highly recommend this procedure about every 500 miles. Your chain/sprockets will last a loooong time if you keep it cleaned/lubed/adjusted.:thumbsup:

Keep in mind that you should replace the chain AND sprockets at the same time. This can be an expensive ordeal if you don't take care of your chain.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
After you clean the chain, ride around for about 5 minutes to heat the chain up. Then park and lube the chain while it it hot. This will melt the wax and get it in every spot of the chain. Let the bike sit to let the chain cool down and cake on the chain. I use this stuff. No fling and comes on clear. You can get it at lowes for a few bucks.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/dupont-teflon-chain-lube.htm

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I use this stuff. No fling and comes on clear. You can get it at lowes for a few bucks.
Thanks for the tip! I'm headed out now to get a can at Lowes:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Thanks for the tip! I'm headed out now to get a can at Lowes:thumbsup:
Welcome. Using the above method, my chain on my 2006 zx6r lasted over 18k miles and when I sold her, both sprockets and chain were still good.

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
After you clean the chain, ride around for about 5 minutes to heat the chain up. Then park and lube the chain while it it hot. This will melt the wax and get it in every spot of the chain. Let the bike sit to let the chain cool down and cake on the chain. I use this stuff. No fling and comes on clear. You can get it at lowes for a few bucks.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/dupont-teflon-chain-lube.htm
This is good advise. Exactly what I do except I use chain wax.

Only thing I would add is, when you put on the lube, dont spray it on top of the chain, but on the inside. That way, it will sling through the chain, not off of it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've never cleaned the chain on my 636, the rain washes it clean, but I lube it almost daily with a low fling dry lube, and it's currently on 22,900 miles.

I've had a new Tsubaki gold chain and sprocket set waiting to be fitted for the last 3,000 miles, but it doesn't need it yet.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great info guys. The owner's manual says use a 90W oil, is that not what you're using? Sounds like you guys are going to the bike store for "chain lube"..

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
I dont know about the other stuff. From my experience, this is the best stuff ive used.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
No matter what product(s) you use, chain maintenance is often the most overlooked item. I've seen waaaay too many rusty chains in my time. As I said before, you should always change chains & sprockets together and that ain't cheap. Plus, a neglected chain could potentially snap and instantly put you into a whole lotta S**T....I've seen that before. It happens so fast there's hardly the time to take corrective action.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I dont know about the other stuff. From my experience, this is the best stuff ive used.
I have a can of that as well. I use it as my backup if I run out of the dupont teflon wax.

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,372 Posts
yes do what they said above just always clean before you regrease
good video on it
http://www.superstreetbike.com/vide...d_grease_the_chain_on_a_motorcycle/index.html
Excellent Vid, that is exactly what I do. But I also strongly suggest you ride it at least 5-10 min before you clean it, when it's hot it will clean better. You can also buy the Scrung Brush that is made specificaly for motorcycle chains. Google it.

After cleaning the chain which I do once or twice a year. Ride around again for 5 - 10 min then lube it. Always lube a chain that is warm or after just being ridden. I also use the Motul Chain cleaner and Bel Rey lube. For me it doesn't fling off and I lube it WAY more than the guy in the vid does. I would do it at least once or twice a month depending on how much you ride. but every 500 miles is good. You can easily get over 20,000 miles off your chian if you follow these simple steps. Unless you're tracking it or stunting it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Watched the video, got the chain cleaner and wax, and now it's good as new. Man, that thing was DIRTY. Not lettin' THAT happen again. Thanks guys.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts