Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mythical Mod of Yore
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...as many of you know, my woman wrecked my girl and I have decided to give painting her a whirl...so far I'm truly amazed at the results I've gotten from a rattle can. But I have a few questions for the artists out there who really know what they're dong...
  • along some of the edges of the plastic (most noticably on the front fender) when I wet sanded the clearcoat with 2000 grit paper the paint gave way to the previous color. The spots are very small. Is it likely that I just didn't prime/paint enough in those areas? Is there a secret to doing edges? Now that I have cleared it what's the best way to cover over the bare areas?
  • I'm assuming that the more coats of clear that you lay down the deeper the final finish. On one piece that I've cleared, sanded, polished and waxed I'd like the shine to be a little deeper. Can I just strip off the wax and lay down more clear or would I have to sand down to the base coat (or deeper) first?
  • I know that a lot of clear coats discolor in the presence of fuel and other chemicals...and I'm sure that the stuff I'm using off the shelf isn't the best in the world. Colorite has a multi-stage clear available in an aerosol that they claim is the shit for using where fuel will be present. I'm considering getting this if and when I paint the fuel tank. Any comments on the quality?
Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Sounds like you need more clear coat.If you are sanding it with 2000 grit paper to just polish it you dont need to get on the edges with the sandpaper anyway.All you need to sand polish are the larger areas,edges are sharp therefore they take the blunt of the sanding and polishing causing the paint to wear off the highest point.Sometimes I actually tape the edges to prevent this from happening.I aint no pro and I suck with words but I hope I helped!:mrgreen:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sounds like you need more clear coat.If you are sanding it with 2000 grit paper to just polish it you dont need to get on the edges with the sandpaper anyway.All you need to sand polish are the larger areas,edges are sharp therefore they take the blunt of the sanding and polishing causing the paint to wear off the highest point.Sometimes I actually tape the edges to prevent this from happening.I aint no pro and I suck with words but I hope I helped!:mrgreen:
like nczx-10r said when your wet sanding stay away from the edges-to cover up the spots you sanded through your gonna have to re-spray you color with maybe an airbrush and respray the clear-now to get that deep gloss you want you just need more polishing time with finer compound-i've found that some times i may live with a few small imperfections so as not to break that freshly applied gloss-many very light coats of clear will build to a nice deep finish-when do'in you final polish use a white soft cloth and keep checking it for your color if you see it on the cloth stop so ya go though to your primer-hope this helps:smile:

·
Registered
132 Posts
oh, by the way you can use all sorts of rattle cans and shoot some urethan over it to make it a nice hard finish that resists fuel-i'm no pro but i've painted my own bikes many times

1 - 6 of 6 Posts