Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, this is my first post here and I was hoping I could get some basic info about buying a 2nd gen. I've been riding for 13 years and started with a ZX6R, went to the R1 for a bit and now I want to buy a ZX10R.

I've seen a few bikes that I really like but have high mileage on them. (30,000 plus). Is this cause for concern for any of you? For example, I found one with 36k in good condition, clean title/etc, for $2k less than those with a lot less miles so thought I should ask.

Also, I did use the search function, but couldn't really find anything specific about things I should look out for with the 2nd gen (for example, I know with the 1st gen there were frame issues). Anybody have info I should look out for, or links so I can read up on them myself?

Thanks!

p.s.: sorry if this is in the wrong section but thought I'd start out here.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,721 Posts
Welcome to da party!

The Gen 2 is the redheaded bastard cousin of the ZX-10R series. It is either loved or hated, but mostly just under appreciated. It looks good, has a stout motor with good midrange, and it pretty comfy. It's a bit heavier, but more easy to ride. It will still get the job down quite nicely. For the price these can be had for, they are a great buy. I loved mine.

There's nothing to be overly concerned about in regards to them. The front brakes suck, but it's a simple and cheap upgrade to bolt on new calipers up front. The frames are not as prone to cracking as the earlier bikes so that's not a big deal. More than a few of them have suffered from cracked valve retainers, however. If buying a higher mileage bike, I'd definitely check those out. At the 30,000 mile mark it should be on it's second valve inspection, so checking the retainers in there should be just part of the inspection. Stators burning up would be something else to take note of. But if it hasn't happened at this point, it's not likely.

Just normal bike stuff to look for in most cases. Been down? Been maintained? Etc, etc.

Reactions: gazx10

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
we had a gen 1 and gen 2. sold the gen 1, still have the 2. like everything about this bike, runs strong and been bulletproof.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts