Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My throttle is like a on/off switch. Its really hard to make the bike coast. Its a lot more noticable going thought the apex of a corner. If you try to coast it thought it will either accl. or decel.. Its really touchy. Is there anything I can do? Would adjusting the TPS help?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already have a TRE. It didnt help any, I am thinking about puting a 1/5 thottle conv. on, but I dont know it that would help or hurt it.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
You don't really want to coast through a turn anyway. You want your throttle cracked just a little in order to transfer weight to the rear tire. If you are coasting, that means that you are probably slowing down...putting weight on the front and loading the suspension unnecessarily. The bike is actually less stable that way...

My .02

·
Registered
971 Posts
I think a 1/5 throttle would make it worse, since you'll be applying more gas quicker. You'd have to be more precise with the throttle...

Where are you in the rev range when it's happening? Low, mid or high? And as Jessiah asked, which gears?

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
It all in the wrist. Trying twisting smoother. I had the same problem until I told myself to be smmmoooooooottthhhhh with the throttle helped. Mind you these also help. PCII + good map. GI Pro, and believe it or not a quick throttle.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The thing that makes me think something is wrong with your bike is my 10 is the smoothest bike I have ever ridden, even in 1st gear. My girls R6 is the worst I have rode in 1st gear with the on/off throttal thing. Its down right jerky if your not being really precise with it, you have to almost not let it close all the way.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Get a good custom map, and tell the tuner you want him to work on that on/off area!
Made a huge difference, but I still got to be very careful. Especially with the Rifleman 1/5 conversion in there.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Sound to me like you're TRE is not working properly.The problem you describe is completely fixed with a TRE.Which one do you have?Who installed it?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Naw guys.... hits TRE probably is working... When I have my TRE on I noticed I gotta watch my throttle control.. The torque and power grabs right away.

Dude do not get a quick throttle if you are experience what you mention. IMPROVE your riding skills and it will get better.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Naw guys.... hits TRE probably is working... When I have my TRE on I noticed I gotta watch my throttle control.. The torque and power grabs right away.

Dude do not get a quick throttle if you are experience what you mention. IMPROVE your riding skills and it will get better.
This is in correct info.The only reason to install a TRE is to remove abrupt on/off throttle response.There is little to no torque or horsepower gain.
He is right about 1/5 throttle.that would make the problem your having even more noticeable.

·
Registered
567 Posts
try unhooking your valve in the exhaust. i stayed away from the TRE cause i didnt want to soften my bike any. a lot of people said the throttle smoothed out some in the bottom and i didnt want that. i love the white knuckle ride of the 10. now when i unhooked the exhaust valve it did take away that on/off feel of the throttle. it helped smooth out the engine braking. i know what your talking about, your coming up to turns hot and start letting off the throttle to slow for the turn and the front end loads then when you start back into the throttle it comes on more than you want. unhook the exhaust and the throttle response will be softened some. you still get the exceleration but it is smoothed out on deceleration which will help your problem. it is a few mod and i havent changed mine back yet. if you dont like it just hook them back up. after that you will want to sell that TRE and put your 10's fangs back in.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'd say the fuelling is the worst part of the zx10r experience, I don't know anyone who rides smoother than me and I find the fuelling is like a light switch it's either off or on, you can't feed the throttle in gently, and if you hit a big bump it's like taking a ride on a kangaroo as you try to correct the throttle. My PowerCommander has made this better, but it hasn't cured the other problem, it won't hold constant throttle without surging. which is really irritating. Mine's the European model, I've fitted a pcIII with O2 eliminators, a US cat with innards removed (gotta love eBay) and Akrapovic carbon pipes with no baffles. It sounds glorious. I'm going to book it in for a custom map if it ever stops raining.

·
Registered
495 Posts
WOW, either alot of you guys are experiencing issues I do not have or.....your not ridding the bike right. The TRE is only supposed to eliminate the Timming retardation below roughly 5500 rpms, you would only feel this on accell. Maybe you guys are getting choppy throttal because you are ridding way too low in the rpms?:dontknow: Spirited ridding for me is always done 6500k and above. Is it drive train lash from a really tight chain? Something is wrong because this bike is the least choppy of any 20+ bikes I have ridden. And downshifting is as smooth as can be with the slipper clutch.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
My 06 is an on/off switch feeling as well. The TRE is supposed to take that out, which I do not have. I will check my situation after the tuning of the ecu to compare it too. Yes, some time on the ride getting used to throttle control is a benefit.

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
the 1/5th will make it feel worse I would think... it makes the throttle even shorter and more twichy...

try adjusting the idle up, I know this sounds stupid but what it does is starts the revs a bit higher, that way when you go from deaccel to accel you are already a bit higher in the band, instead of right on the bottom and it feels like you just wacked it.

lots of guys either set their idle pin so that the bike idles @ 1500-3000 RPM or if you are lucky and have a high idle lever (for the TL they call it a choke but on a fuel injected bike, there is no choke...) the choke/fast idle lever can be set to what ever RPM you want. Then when you want the extra revs, you can flip the choke/fast idle and you have a 2000-5000 idle...

hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts