168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I turn out (softest) both compression and rebound? :badteeth:

Or just leave factory settings?

Thank you :thumbsup:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hey guy, sorry I goofed lol . The other settings are something you should adjust by tiny amounts,then ride,adjust,ride. First remove all weight from the forks.Take measurement. sit on bike ,take measurement.adjust for approx 25- 30 mm of movement.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Sag is not impacted by rebound or compression settings. You do need to "bounce" the bike a little to make sure you are getting an accurate reading and some believe softening the settings help get a better reading, but it is not needed. It's not going to hurt either way.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Sag is not impacted by rebound or compression settings. You do need to "bounce" the bike a little to make sure you are getting an accurate reading and some believe softening the settings help get a better reading, but it is not needed. It's not going to hurt either way.
Very true. Do not worry about your Comp or Rebound settings, worry only about your preload adjustment. You will probably notice while setting up your bike that you will not get "perfect" static sag #'s AND rider sag #'s. you will be able to get one or the other. Don't sweat it, just get it as close as you can and ride it.

good luck

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guy, sorry I goofed lol . The other settings are something you should adjust by tiny amounts,then ride,adjust,ride. First remove all weight from the forks.Take measurement. sit on bike ,take measurement.adjust for approx 25- 30 mm of movement.
Hahaha cheers man. :thumbsup:

Ok guys, thanks. The stock 2005 rear shock is very stiff for my weight.. Time to invest on some Penske's I think.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Another thing you can do which i do is dynamic average, measure initial travel(wheel extended) then sit on it with your gear.

Have someone hold you straight and one person taking the measurement. The person measuring should compress the shock and slowly let it up then measure.

Then the person measuring should lift the subframe extending the the shock then letting it down slowly, all this with you still on the bike.

Average the compressed measurement and the lifted measurement and subtract from the initial travel measurement.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Another thing you can do which i do is dynamic average, measure initial travel(wheel extended) then sit on it with your gear.

Have someone hold you straight and one person taking the measurement. The person measuring should compress the shock and slowly let it up then measure.

Then the person measuring should lift the subframe extending the the shock then letting it down slowly, all this with you still on the bike.

Average the compressed measurement and the lifted measurement and subtract from the initial travel measurement.
Your talking about measureing the stiction within the suspension. This is a great idea, but if your looking for a basic sag setup for street riding or the occasional track day, you will be very close without it.

Max Mcallister from traxxion dynamics preaches this type of setup BTW

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

L1 - [(L2 + L3) / 2] ?

This is exactly what I'm planning to do.

Cheers! :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
781 Posts
yessir! be sure to have your gear on looking like a wierdo hahaha. I always get laughed at by my boys when i ask them for help(none of them ride or if they do they are squids)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
yessir! be sure to have your gear on looking like a wierdo hahaha. I always get laughed at by my boys when i ask them for help(none of them ride or if they do they are squids)
Yeah lulz. Actually, I rocked up to a meeting point for a ride last Sunday. Forgetting mye tool kit at home, I asked my mate if he could lend me a flat head screw driver so I can soften the compression on my rear shock. One of my friend said "You keep fiddling with your suspension on all your bikes, just sell it dude and get a new one" I said "Son, you're an idiot and that's why you'll never EVER catch me on the bends" while tappin his shoulder smilin' :crackup:

Everyone leathered up and he was the only one there wearing shorts and tshirt on that meet with his fully stunted F4i with unscathed 12 bars and crash cage. Big ass chicken strips too. :crackup:

Btw, thanks again for the tip Mr. B22. :mrgreen:

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Your talking about measureing the stiction within the suspension. This is a great idea, but if your looking for a basic sag setup for street riding or the occasional track day, you will be very close without it.

Max Mcallister from traxxion dynamics preaches this type of setup BTW
stock component stiction could be up to 10-12mm in the forks and most of the time the rear had 0 to 3mm I would definitely take it into account on the forks! and just check your rear + how much stiction you have is a good idea if you have something wrong with the front or read end!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Hahaha cheers man. :thumbsup:

Ok guys, thanks. The stock 2005 rear shock is very stiff for my weight.. Time to invest on some Penske's I think.

Umm, by the posts so far, it sounds like you are not clear on what's doing what.

The 05 came cranked up on the pre-load, to cope with two people on the bike, (or a lard ass that shouldn't be on a race replica).

When You adjust the pre-load (or called sag) to your weight with all gear on, I'd be amazed if you are so light, the spring is too stiff.

How are you using your bike?

Have you searched for the suspension set-up article that Sport Rider did a few years ago? It's on this site (somewhere).

·
Registered
781 Posts
Umm, by the posts so far, it sounds like you are not clear on what's doing what.

The 05 came cranked up on the pre-load, to cope with two people on the bike, (or a lard ass that shouldn't be on a race replica).

When You adjust the pre-load (or called sag) to your weight with all gear on, I'd be amazed if you are so light, the spring is too stiff.

Have you searched for the suspension set-up article that Sport Rider did a few years ago? It's on this site (somewhere).
Did you set your own numbers or use the ones they provide in the articles?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I set the sag front and back at 30mm. For the extended side of the 30mm, I have the wheel off the ground, for the other end of the 30mm, I'm sitting on the bike with my full gear on.

The compression / rebound settings were first as the bike came, and after some ride to check, tried the suggested by Sport rider settings (they give suggested settings in their bike reviews) and then I tried adjustments from that.

I returned to the Sport Rider recommended settings, because I didn't find improvements over them.

Right now I'm waiting for reports to come in on the new Showa BPF forks on the 09 ZX-6. Just for giggles, I'd like to try the 09 ZX-6 suspension on my 05 ZX-10.

I'm light weight, and ride rough mountain tight twisties, and it could work great (maybe).

·
Registered
781 Posts
I set the sag front and back at 30mm. For the extended side of the 30mm, I have the wheel off the ground, for the other end of the 30mm, I'm sitting on the bike with my full gear on.

The compression / rebound settings were first as the bike came, and after some ride to check, tried the suggested by Sport rider settings (they give suggested settings in their bike reviews) and then I tried adjustments from that.

I returned to the Sport Rider recommended settings, because I didn't find improvements over them.

Right now I'm waiting for reports to come in on the new Showa BPF forks on the 09 ZX-6. Just for giggles, I'd like to try the 09 ZX-6 suspension on my 05 ZX-10.

I'm light weight, and ride rough mountain tight twisties, and it could work great (maybe).
You should try loosening preload up front... general rule is to have less preload up front.:thumbsup: What is the extended side of 30mm btw?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)

I weigh 70kgs with gear on if that matters. :badteeth:

And the stock shocks being a pain in the ass to adjust doesn't help :badteeth:

Kawi also didn't give me C-spanners. :badteeth:

I ride the twisties pretty hard. I don't ride the bike around town. :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts