Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Does the ECU have Lambda ?

Cant find much info on it.
No it doesnt have any provisions for a Lambda. Do you have one let me know what I can do to help.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I have the kit ECU and as HKMP7 said, I don't think there is a provision for a lambda.

I am still looking for the tuning link (cable), and the software for my ZX-10R, as I am still using the PC3 as a piggyback. It's just that I have a hard time justifying paying so much for the cable!

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
whats a lambda and how much better is the race ecu that stock? sorry to thread jack but i tried searching "race ecu" but only "race" related stuff popped up

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
The lambda being referred is basically the provision for an O2 sensor input. Some ECU's, for example the ones used in modern cars are closed loop fuel injection, meaning that the O2 sensor measures the air fuel mixture realtime and adjusts accordingly. With emissions controls and standards, bikes will all be closed-loop EFI systems in the not so distant future I think. I think the suggestion is whether the race ECU can receive an input from an O2 sensor and operate in a self-calibration closed loop mode.

The Race ECU allows programmability and adjustments to just about every electronically governed engine parameter, including fueling and ignition timing. It can also do away with many of the "street" bike systems of the bike such as control of the secondary throttle plates, the timing retard in the lower gears, exhaust valve servo removal, and increasing the rev limiter.

I was at a dyno day a couple years back, and a local sponsored racer swapped his regular ECU with a race ECU and ran back to back runs. Now the race ECU was unmapped and unprogrammed. Back to back dyno runs yielded a 4-5hp difference. On his ZX6RR he picked up a phenomenal 9hp!

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
My ZX10R already have the Lambda as standard! Currently removed and fitted lambda eliminators. To stop the FI light tripping. If you are using an ECU for race track purposes. U do not need the Lambda sensors. Unless your bike will be subject to CO2 testing.....

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The reason I asked is because I want to go closed loop , but I dont want a bike full of piggy back units controlling the DFI , I would have liked one ECM , I also dont have the room for several units as I am in the process of modifying the fuel system and I need the space for the pumps and filter.

Thanks for the input guys.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
ahha cool. thanks. how much to those puppies run well over a grand i assume?

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My ZX10R already have the Lambda as standard! Currently removed and fitted lambda eliminators. To stop the FI light tripping. If you are using an ECU for race track purposes. U do not need the Lambda sensors. Unless your bike will be subject to CO2 testing.....
I guess the stock ECU Lambda control would be out of range with a PC connected and thats why it throws the light ?

Thats why I wondered wether the Race ECU had programmable Lambda control , guess not...bummer. but for race purposes I would want it closed loop control , I have my reasons.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Bazzaz performance has a new closed loop system fully programmable coming out maybe look into that!
Ya I saw that, and with the option of traction control too? Hmmm... If Suzuki wasn't running traction control before this year, I wonder how Bazzaz came out with one so quickly? :lol:

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep , I was trying to get some feedback from any Bazzaz users, none of yet and I dont fancy being the Guinea Pig.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Traction control is a relatively easy function, what is difficult is the constant programming for varying conditions, we were running 10 TC maps until they banned it and every event we would have to reprogram to suit the track.

I would just like the closed loop option with programming capabilities, looks like it would be around $700 - $1000 for that option.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I guess the stock ECU Lambda control would be out of range with a PC connected and thats why it throws the light ?

Thats why I wondered wether the Race ECU had programmable Lambda control , guess not...bummer. but for race purposes I would want it closed loop control , I have my reasons.
Ok I understand now where you coming from. The lambda on the standard 10work within a fairly narrow parameter. When you install a PC, the lambda still has an effect on the custom and tends to lean it out but only in a given certain parameters. I can't seem to recall at the moment what those are. But it usually around at constant throttle. To take full advantage of a PC the lambda need to be disconnected / removed from system. When this happens, only then the FI light is tripped. The eliminators purpose is trick the ECU into thinking all is well. And thus no FI light. I had to fit a set after I destroyed my Akra EVO full race system and could not bear the $$$ to buy another set. So went cheap and got the Boz which has no facility for Lambda sensors.
You can still have closed loop without the lambda sensors. Right??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts