Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly is a pre-amp? Is it just like pedal or something that attaches the pickups or what? I notice that alot of proffesional guys use mesa-boogie pre-amps but I havent found any. (or a dealer for mesa-boogie for that matter) Anywho any info would help. Thanks!

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
A preamp basically amplifies a weak guitar signal before they are fed to additional (usually more powerful) amplifier circuits.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Hey I got one too. just bought a guitar and want to learn how to play... Got the DVD but Im lost should i take lessons or just keep trying the DVD? If so what would that be under in the phone book?

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
sczx10r said:
Hey I got one too. just bought a guitar and want to learn how to play... Got the DVD but Im lost should i take lessons or just keep trying the DVD? If so what would that be under in the phone book?
You'll find varying opinions on this, but it is my recommendation that you learn the basic chord shapes and get comfortable playing them before going to an instructor....you can find the correct way to play them in any chord book....IMO, would be a waste of money to pay someone to show you that stuff. Also, if you can find some guys near you that play, you'de be amazed at what you can learn just by watching.

·
Registered
956 Posts
chickenhead said:
What exactly is a pre-amp? Is it just like pedal or something that attaches the pickups or what? I notice that alot of proffesional guys use mesa-boogie pre-amps but I havent found any. (or a dealer for mesa-boogie for that matter) Anywho any info would help. Thanks!
I gots me a couple of boogies actually. I use a Mesa TriAxis/2:90 rack set up live. The Triaxis is a preamp and the 2:90 is the Power amp. Usually a preamp/power amp set up is more flexible than say a head or a combo amp. It allows the user to have multiple "channels" over say a head which would give you at best 4, as is the case with the Mesa Road King. At home for practicing/annoying the neighbors I use a Mesa MK IV combo. Shoot me a PM if ya got any questions or anything, Id be more than happy to help ya out. :eek:ccasion1
Here is a pic you can see my rack behind me the TriAxis 2:90 are the bottom 2 pieces in the rack.

Attachments

·
Registered
956 Posts
answer to your question.......

BadAzzGuitarPlyr said:
A preamp basically amplifies a weak guitar signal before they are fed to additional (usually more powerful) amplifier circuits.
:+1: :iamwithst :mrgreen: B.A.G.P. hit the nail on the head :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
sczx10r said:
How do you stop a guitar player from playing?

Put music in front of him :badteeth:

It's a lot like motorcycles, if you “only” teach yourself and/or have friends show you what they know... it's likely you'll only go so far and inherit a lot of bad habits along the way.

Question:
How good do you want to be?

I'd say explore the guitar using the DVD's and friends, but look for a properly trained instructor that is a real musician (classically trained – a real student) and has the ability to lead you towards a goal. Remember, with the guitar, you should never play a song "your way" until you can play the whole song "their way" (the way of the songwriter/performer that is).

**I'm probably coming from a different direction than most. My parents gave me my first guitar in 1983 (a knock off Les Paul @ 12 years old!) and I feel I consistently hit brick walls over the next 10 to 15 years, because I didn't know the difference between being a “player” and a “musician.” If you try to become a musician (and I don’t mean building your own recording studio or making this an obsession), the more enjoyable music will be for you overall… and you’ll truly understand where the guitar fits and doesn’t.

http://www.circusnuts.com/FirstGuitar.JPG

I found a highly qualified teacher many years ago using this site.
http://www.gbase.com/

IMHO, you picked the best instrument f’sho :thumbsup:

HTH
Phil

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
Yeah, i totally agree he should get an instructor if he decides he wants to be serious about it....I just think its a waste of money to get someone to explain the simple things....however i may not know what im talking about, lol....it just came easy to me, but i can see how it might not to some people....

Also, dont let yourself get frustrated with it if you cant get the hang of it, find someone to show you and explain it to you....dont give up before you really give it a try, as it can be very frustrating at first...

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks alot guys. So this isnt something I really need to just play around the house? Its not something Im really serious about but I would like to get better. Where do you find them boogies at? Do you have a local dealer or did you order them?

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
chickenhead said:
Thanks alot guys. So this isnt something I really need to just play around the house? Its not something Im really serious about but I would like to get better. Where do you find them boogies at? Do you have a local dealer or did you order them?
You wont find very many Boogie amps around your local music shop, most of the larger stores have em though... and i cant think of an online store that carries em...I have no experience personally with them, too pricey for me :badteeth:
Some other brands are Fender, Marshall, Fender, Line 6, Fender....Im partial to Fender myself, but also love the Line 6 line....Here are a couple links you can use to compare if you like

www.fender.com
www.mesaboogie.com
http://www.marshallamps.com
http://www.line6.com

a site that i buy alot of my stuff from, and never had any complaints

www.musiciansfriend.com

·
Registered
956 Posts
chickenhead said:
A good starter amp would be a Line 6 Flextone or Spider. You cant go wrong with any Fender either. Crates are fairly inexpensive, but I dont care for the sound of them. Boogies are pretty expensive but their sound is phenomonal I.M.O. But it is what sounds best to YOU!!

You can get Mesa/Boogie`s at any Guitar Center. They are a national chain who is owned my musicians friend. I got mine at a store over in dayton, but it is a smaller mom & pop type music store. The cool thing about Boogie amps are that you will pay the same price anywhere you go. They are fair market priced. Expensive? yes but I love them. B.A.G.P. mentioned Marshalls, Fenders, & Line 6 in a reply and you cannot go wrong with any of those either.

As for getting better the best advice I can give you is practice practice practice. You will get out of the guitar what you put into it. Its not somthing that will happen over night but it will come with patience. Ive been playing since I was in the 4th grade, and I am 35 now and I still learn something new everytime I pick it up. I have played in bands since I was 18 and I just absolutley love peforming for a packed house. A book on chords and scales would be a great investment. That way you can progress at your own pace. Most music stores do offer lessons if you wanted to go that route. I am self taught. I learned by watching everyone I knew or would go see. So its pretty much just a matter of personal preference. Hope this helps and if ya got any more questions dont hesitate to ask!! :eek:ccasion1
L.B.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We have a guitar center in jackson where i got my amp ( a marshall mg15 micro stack..ehh its so so) and they told me they didnt carry boogies? I taught myself to play and have playin for about a year so I kinda know my way around, but I mostly use tabs. Guess its bout time to get on a chorus book

·
Registered
956 Posts
Really? thats odd I have one in Indy and one in Cincy and they both carry boogies. Hell I dunno maybe its a midwest thing. :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
By-Tor said:
You guys picked the wrong instrument...........

Bass is king!!!!!!!
nah nah, see a band play live.....when the drummer does his thing the audience goes for a beer, when the bass player does his they go for another one....when the guitar player struts his stuff the audience goes wild...and guitar players always get all the nice chicks:mrgreen:

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
burgerkin said:
nah nah, see a band play live.....when the drummer does his thing the audience goes for a beer, when the bass player does his they go for another one....when the guitar player struts his stuff the audience goes wild...and guitar players always get all the nice chicks:mrgreen:

Aint it the truth.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I play the drums... neighbors love me... :fu2:
I also have the woodwind and the brasswind (worlds largest music store) in my backyard.. (5 minutes away) they make Guitar center seem like a second hand store...lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts