Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Question for Akro Ti owners...POSSIBLY SOLVED>>>

Hi guys,

I recently installed an EVOII on my bike and yesterday I took the can off to put some anti seize grease on it and noticed the carbon fiber clamp that wraps around the can left some marks on it...which is ok but the problem is, when I put it back on I realized that the pipe somehow moved back and forth because when I adjusted it, the marks are visible, instead of being covered by the clamp. So now I'm thinking that this time around is going to scratch the finish even more.
Anybody qith the same problem?
Any suggestions?

thanks a lot,

racer155

·
Registered
235 Posts
Same thing happened to me when I had the evo2 on my 05 gsxr. It was on a tit can tho, and it left marks. My racefit hanger is digging into the carbon as well, nothing you can do about it i guess unless you have a rubber sleeve between them i suppose. I didn't mind after awhile.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Same thing happened to me when I had the evo2 on my 05 gsxr. It was on a tit can tho, and it left marks. My racefit hanger is digging into the carbon as well, nothing you can do about it i guess unless you have a rubber sleeve between them i suppose. I didn't mind after awhile.

Thanks!...mine is a Ti can as well. I don't mind the marks if they stayed under the clamp....I'm pissed because it sems there was movement there and whe putting the clamp back on....the scratches are visible...oh well...I'll look for those rubber strips, should have done it before I guess...

racer155

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hi guys,

...which is ok but the problem is, when I put it back on I realized that the pipe somehow moved back and forth because when I adjusted it, the marks are visible, instead of being covered by the clamp. So now I'm thinking that this time around is going to scratch the finish even more.
acer155
:eek2: Oh sh#t ! !

Glad you warned me, as I didn´t even ride once with my brand new ti evo.
Have to say that did not experience that with my previous akra hex carbon muffler..

I think that a sleeve can be made out of thin eva foam (1-2 mm)
If the sleeve is thick, when tightening the clamp can be forced to the point of breaking and/or dent the muffler...

The thin eva foam can usually be get from a school supplies shop

·
Registered
609 Posts
I've had an akra ti can on my ZRX for years. I need to remove it whenever the oil filter is changed.

I've noticed the marks under the carbon clamp, and decided to clean up the can while it was off. All marks polished right out with little effort. Yes they come back, but not visible until you remove the clamp.

Can't say yours will polish out as there could be something different going on.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I finally had the time to take care of this little problem.
Before I go on, I found out what the problem is: the can and the mid pipe feel like one piece, right?....well, the clamp doesn't really clamp shit...it just holds the can (and mid pipe) at the right height!! so when I ride the fucking thing is bouncing and rubbing against the clamp.

That rubbing caused what you see in the 1st pic....marks under the clamp and outside the clamp's "footprint".

Pic #2: went to my local shop and got an old rubber piece...the one that goes over the engine to keep heat away from the tank...I think it won't melt.

Pic #3: I cut a strip to the clamp's width (I couldn't do the clamp in one strip because the matt wasn't long enough, so I made it out of two pieces)

Pic #4: marked the inner shape with a xacto knife.

Pic #5 cut it the best I could.

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pic #6: shows the "rough cut"

Pic #7: using regular bicycle patch glue, placed the rubber strip in place.

Pic #8: this is how the clamp looks finished. I also used fine sand paper to smooth out the rubber's rough edges.

Pic #9: clamp is back on.

Pic #10: the gap you see here was created by the added rubber so I first replaced the Akro bolt by a longer allen one and now I have to go to the hardware shop and find a spacer to fill the gap so the clamp doesn't crack.

I'll post results after I get to ride it. I think it'll take care of the problem.

Hope it helps, in case you run into the same problem!

racer155

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another possible solution revolves around the original butterfly mount and the Akro's O2 sensor plug.....
I looked at it and it's possible with the right bracket, which I don't have right now....my only concern is the weight of the mid pipe and can hanging from such low anchor...any ideas or comments on this?
In my case I'm screwed now because even if I could do it, the can is already marked and it would look bad but with a new can it'd be a different story.

Here's the pic of the butterfly mount and O2 sensor plug:

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts