Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the rear axle nut size on the 2016(gen5) zx10r? Is it 27mm? Google wants to keep it a secret. And as far as a cotter pin, can I just use the ones I have purchased from auto-zone.

Also I've noticed that fairly consistently after going for a ride and parking, about 10 to 15 minutes later I hear a loud POP! noise. Its not your normal engine cooling down "crinkles", it is a very loud POP sound. Like plastic breaking, or metal snapping. The POP only occurs once while the bike cools down, but it seems to happen after every single time I have ridden the bike.

BTW, this bike is crazy fast - I new my old cbr600rr was getting slow (needs new air filter, chain/sprockets, spark plugs, etc - basic tune up), but holy sh*t. Full power mode, TC2, and it's wheeling through 3rd, and 4th gears. I was on tc3 the other day, and the rear wheel started spinning. It's like learning how to ride all over again leaps and bounds faster than a stock 600cc.

Anyways, any idea on the rear axle nut size, and wtf is that loud popping noise I keep hearing after turning the bike off?

·
Registered
271 Posts
What is the rear axle nut size on the 2016(gen5) zx10r? Is it 27mm? Google wants to keep it a secret. And as far as a cotter pin, can I just use the ones I have purchased from auto-zone.

Also I've noticed that fairly consistently after going for a ride and parking, about 10 to 15 minutes later I hear a loud POP! noise. Its not your normal engine cooling down "crinkles", it is a very loud POP sound. Like plastic breaking, or metal snapping. The POP only occurs once while the bike cools down, but it seems to happen after every single time I have ridden the bike.

BTW, this bike is crazy fast - I new my old cbr600rr was getting slow (needs new air filter, chain/sprockets, spark plugs, etc - basic tune up), but holy sh*t. Full power mode, TC2, and it's wheeling through 3rd, and 4th gears. I was on tc3 the other day, and the rear wheel started spinning. It's like learning how to ride all over again leaps and bounds faster than a stock 600cc.

Anyways, any idea on the rear axle nut size, and wtf is that loud popping noise I keep hearing after turning the bike off?
On the nut size I'm not sure. There is a service manual PDF floating around on one of these threads.

The popping noise could just be some plastics cooling and contracting near the motor. Do you live in a fairly cold area? More of a temperature difference would make more contraction/expansion.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the nut size I'm not sure. There is a service manual PDF floating around on one of these threads.

The popping noise could just be some plastics cooling and contracting near the motor. Do you live in a fairly cold area? More of a temperature difference would make more contraction/expansion.
I have the service manual and it doesn't specify the size of the nut or socket, just torque. And yeah, I'm sure the noise is from the expansion/contraction during heating and cooling, but i'm curious as to what, and if anyone else has experienced this on their gen5 zx10r.

The bike is parked in a heated garage after riding, but I've also heard it while leaving it outside in warm temps 75+ degrees(F). If it helps at all, after one ride, I went to go clean my rims, and pushed on my front wheel to straighten it a little, and it popped. Sounded like it came from the headers or there about, scared the crap out of me - very loud.

·
Registered
450 Posts
for rear axle nut ,use a 32mm socket for front sprocket nut 27 mm socket , rear axle can use 1.25 inch socket too'

the noise is the exhaust cooling off ,there is some expanding when gets hot and when it cools down it do make noise , that is normal

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
I would surmise that the popping noise is the exhaust cooling off as mentioned earlier

·
Registered
17 Posts

Wheelies and spin on TC2? sounds like I'm riding a completely different bike.... I can't do anything I would call a wheelie unless TC is off, and I'm dropping the clutch in first or second. And in terms of spinning the rear... with a hot RS10 with decent tread left, I can't get the rear to get untidy at all with TC3 or above. Probably the same for TC2, but I'm usually TC3 or TC off... In fact, just last week, I set out to try and see how silly I could be in TC3, and felt power interruption well before any loss of grip when pulling out of corners with decent lean, high revs and stupid use of the throttle. Its like hitting a rev limiter.

And wheelies in 3rd and 4th? the hell? I find all the new generation litre in-line 4's are too 'exponential' in terms of their gearing and power delivery to do a decent wheelie off power. Yes the front will lift on the zx10 from power in first if you have it pinned, but its a gradual climb, and by the time its high enough to quickshift to second without dropping the front, you are already doing silly speeds/running out of road... Only way I'm getting it up on this bike is TC off, second gear, 6-7k, and dump the clutch with 75%-ish throttle. Less needed in first, but the extra running room in second lets you run out the gear and quick shift into third when you want to to come back down... With TC even at 1, I can repeat the same thing and wont get more than ~10cm lift. TC2 or 3 in 3rd of 4th on power?? Forget about it! I would probably have to launch off a jump at 200kmph!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wheelies and spin on TC2? sounds like I'm riding a completely different bike.... I can't do anything I would call a wheelie unless TC is off, and I'm dropping the clutch in first or second. And in terms of spinning the rear... with a hot RS10 with decent tread left, I can't get the rear to get untidy at all with TC3 or above. Probably the same for TC2, but I'm usually TC3 or TC off... In fact, just last week, I set out to try and see how silly I could be in TC3, and felt power interruption well before any loss of grip when pulling out of corners with decent lean, high revs and stupid use of the throttle. Its like hitting a rev limiter.

And wheelies in 3rd and 4th? the hell? I find all the new generation litre in-line 4's are too 'exponential' in terms of their gearing and power delivery to do a decent wheelie off power. Yes the front will lift on the zx10 from power in first if you have it pinned, but its a gradual climb, and by the time its high enough to quickshift to second without dropping the front, you are already doing silly speeds/running out of road... Only way I'm getting it up on this bike is TC off, second gear, 6-7k, and dump the clutch with 75%-ish throttle. Less needed in first, but the extra running room in second lets you run out the gear and quick shift into third when you want to to come back down... With TC even at 1, I can repeat the same thing and wont get more than ~10cm lift. TC2 or 3 in 3rd of 4th on power?? Forget about it! I would probably have to launch off a jump at 200kmph!
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to embellish at all. I am fully aware there are a lot of good riders on this forum and in gen5 specifically who are very familiar with their bikes, stock or not.

When I say wheelie in 3rd and 4th in tc2, I mean pinning it in 3rd (not chopping) at about 7 or 8k rpm, and the wheel came up a little almost to 4th, and when I shifted into 4th it came up again (using kqs) - scared me so I cut the throttle, and got a little front wheel shake when I came back down. When the wheel spun in tc3, the road was still a little damp and I was going i'm guessing about 60mph - again pinning the throttle - made the rear snake a little and catch when I cut the throttle - recipe for a high side.

Was I 12-oclocking, no... That should be fairly obvious since I was in tc2 and tc3. Point is, my cbr would never power wheelie except in first with stock gearing. Going to take some time getting used to - I'm not a stunter nor do I "practice" wheelies.

Anyways, pretty sure I was in tc2, although maybe I was in tc1 for the little lift in the front wheel. I was definitely in tc3 when the rear broke traction. Full power mode for all.

Bottom line, this bike is fast as hell - compared to my 600.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to embellish at all. I am fully aware there are a lot of good riders on this forum and in gen5 specifically who are very familiar with their bikes, stock or not.

When I say wheelie in 3rd and 4th in tc2, I mean pinning it in 3rd (not chopping) at about 7 or 8k rpm, and the wheel came up a little almost to 4th, and when I shifted into 4th it came up again (using kqs) - scared me so I cut the throttle, and got a little front wheel shake when I came back down. When the wheel spun in tc3, the road was still a little damp and I was going i'm guessing about 60mph - again pinning the throttle - made the rear snake a little and catch when I cut the throttle - recipe for a high side.

Was I 12-oclocking, no... That should be fairly obvious since I was in tc2 and tc3. Point is, my cbr would never power wheelie except in first with stock gearing. Going to take some time getting used to - I'm not a stunter nor do I "practice" wheelies.

Anyways, pretty sure I was in tc2, although maybe I was in tc1 for the little lift in the front wheel. I was definitely in tc3 when the rear broke traction. Full power mode for all.

Bottom line, this bike is fast as hell - compared to my 600.
Sorry mate, just re-read my post and it does read like a bit of an attack. Was trying to get across that I find it frustratingly hard to do anything silly on the newer in-line 4 sports bikes these days. As you say, they are designed to go fast and they do that really well, but I do miss the older generation GSXR, fireblade etc. etc. The gearing and power delivery was much more suited to playing silly buggers on the street. Maybe one day I'll be able to pick-up a new zx-10r, flick a switch which gives me v-twin like power delivery for the street (superduke 1290-ish maybe?) with no electronics, and then switch it back for the days at the track... Or maybe I'll just run two bikes again... hmmm...

·
Registered
966 Posts

You gotta just pin it and hang on, she'll pull the tire with tc on but you gotta let the bike work. If you chop throttle or let out a little it seems to mess with the electronics. I've learned to just hammer it and let the tc sort it out or just shut tc off and modulate throttle myself.. can't really do both imo

·
Registered
481 Posts
Woolich ECU Flash, TC Off, -1 +2 gearing & Rifleman Insert = this thing is crazy fast and will wheelie in about any gear without clutching up. :helmet:

Reactions: michael4012

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Woolich ECU Flash, TC Off, -1 +2 gearing & Rifleman Insert = this thing is crazy fast and will wheelie in about any gear without clutching up. :helmet:
I'm not trying to push any agenda here, and if I break any posting rules, I apologize.

Watch the last minute or so of the video beginning at 13:00. I have literally said the exact same thing, hahaha

Granted his is not a gen5, but the experience is the same.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BTW, I think the popping is because I over torqued by oil drain bolt. I went 2 clicks at 10 ft/lbs. I'll re-torque it when I get a chance.

·
Registered
59 Posts
BTW, I think the popping is because I over torqued by oil drain bolt. I went 2 clicks at 10 ft/lbs. I'll re-torque it when I get a chance.

I doubt that would cause your popping sound. Most likely the answer is above (exhaust cooling). To be honest my brand new bike does it too (24 miles) and I'm sure most/all of them do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I doubt that would cause your popping sound. Most likely the answer is above (exhaust cooling). To be honest my brand new bike does it too (24 miles) and I'm sure most/all of them do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I seriously hope the most likely answer is as you and others have stated ... the exhaust. I also initially thought exhaust, but I tell you the "pop" is incredibly loud, and happens only once, anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes after the bike is shutdown. If this was normal for most/all of the 2016's to do it I would assume there would be a lot of chatter on the internet about it. My CBR never did that.

I keep thinking about the scenario of me changing my oil next month, and only half the drain bolt comes out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just a shot in the dark here but, could the pop noise you are hearing possibly the gas fill "cap" releasing pressure. I know when I turn the bike off and it begins to cool I hear a whistle sometimes a small pop and have narrowed it down to the release of pressure from the gas tank. Maybe you're just hearing a louder pop from a warmer environment and rapidly cooling down? Maybe a weld in the exhaust system isn't fully closed and when cooling down it "snaps" back into place? All just things off the top of my head.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just a shot in the dark here but, could the pop noise you are hearing possibly the gas fill "cap" releasing pressure. I know when I turn the bike off and it begins to cool I hear a whistle sometimes a small pop and have narrowed it down to the release of pressure from the gas tank. Maybe you're just hearing a louder pop from a warmer environment and rapidly cooling down? Maybe a weld in the exhaust system isn't fully closed and when cooling down it "snaps" back into place? All just things off the top of my head.
The pop is very very loud. Like a small firecracker or like those little bang snaps but even louder. Scares the crap out of me. It's even done it after sitting for a day when I barely touched the left hand grip while walking past the bike (although it wasn't as loud).

I'll have to just sit next to my bike with my cellphone and see if I can capture the noise after my next ride.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just realized that after my last ride, my bike didn't make the loud pop noise. Hmmm. Maybe I know what was causing it now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is my second 17 ZX10, first was stolen after a year. Came across this tried doing a search and my new one also does the loud pop well after riding it. First one never did it and this one hasn't done it until I laid it down. I am also curious to what it is. My bike sits in my living room so I always hear it and it drives me nuts now

·
Registered
146 Posts
This is my second 17 ZX10, first was stolen after a year. Came across this tried doing a search and my new one also does the loud pop well after riding it. First one never did it and this one hasn't done it until I laid it down. I am also curious to what it is. My bike sits in my living room so I always hear it and it drives me nuts now
Still running stock exhaust with cat? I ask because my bike did this when I first got it, but after installing new slip on and removing the cat, it hasn't done it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts