Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has 1200 KMs ( 8K Miles ) of pure track time, THe valve train seems to be noisier than before. How often do you do valve work ? ( track only bikes )

While I'm in there, suggest some performance mods that actually deliver?

I have a 06 with a muzzy pipe PC and Ignition module. Map tuned up with a wideband commander.

I hear a clicking noise when I beat it up a bit.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
seems like you almost answer your maint question..lol...if you can hear the valves you might want to give them a check...as far as performance mods that work...one suggestion is to gear your bike towards the tracks you ride on....its a cheap, inexpensive, and effective mod....i change out my rear sprocket depending on which track i'm riding at...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
My bike has 1200 KMs ( 8K Miles ) of pure track time, THe valve train seems to be noisier than before. How often do you do valve work ? ( track only bikes )

While I'm in there, suggest some performance mods that actually deliver?

I have a 06 with a muzzy pipe PC and Ignition module. Map tuned up with a wideband commander.

I hear a clicking noise when I beat it up a bit.
Your bike done 1,200km = 750 miles or 12,000km = 7,500 miles?? On a regular road bike valve check / adjustments is done 24,000kms / 15,000 miles. However you use yours as a track bike, therefore is subject to alot of abuse and stress. So it is probably a good idea to have a look at your valve clearances. I abuse mine alot and tend to do my checks and servicing about twice as much as the service book recommends. This is mostly for piece of mind, so that I don't get a shit day at the track. :beer:

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Most deffinately valve checks more often, CCT adjustment, FI throttle body sync along with basic maintenance that should be done.
Performance wise consider a thin head gasket & cam degree for a minor boost.

BD

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Your bike done 1,200km = 750 miles or 12,000km = 7,500 miles?? On a regular road bike valve check / adjustments is done 24,000kms / 15,000 miles. However you use yours as a track bike, therefore is subject to alot of abuse and stress. So it is probably a good idea to have a look at your valve clearances. I abuse mine alot and tend to do my checks and servicing about twice as much as the service book recommends. This is mostly for piece of mind, so that I don't get a shit day at the track. :beer:
Sry that was a typo. I meant 800 Miles or more accuratly 750 Miles.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I have decided to go with the thinner head gasket and a race intake cam. They will do the Vavle, CCT and TB tuning

why would IO need new plugs already ?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Ok, let me get this straight... it's a trackbike only correct?

What are your goals on the track? Go faster or just go play and have fun?

If you care about going faster you need to put those HP mods on the shelf and worry about suspension and tires. Period. You're on a ZX-10R for shit's sake.... why are you looking for more HP? Oh, the gearing suggestion is a good one too. It's cheap/easy and can have a significant effect on how your bike works on the track.

Now, don't ge me wrong, HP is fun.... big fun.... but it's NOT the first thing you need to worry about to get around the track quicker.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ok, let me get this straight... it's a trackbike only correct?

What are your goals on the track? Go faster or just go play and have fun?

If you care about going faster you need to put those HP mods on the shelf and worry about suspension and tires. Period. You're on a ZX-10R for shit's sake.... why are you looking for more HP? Oh, the gearing suggestion is a good one too. It's cheap/easy and can have a significant effect on how your bike works on the track.

Now, don't ge me wrong, HP is fun.... big fun.... but it's NOT the first thing you need to worry about to get around the track quicker.
The suspension swap was the very first mod I did and I run Diablo supercorsas,

I agree that the bike has enough power for most riders.

I figure that I might as well swap out the Intake cam while I have the bike taken apart.

·
Registered
571 Posts
The suspension swap was the very first mod I did and I run Diablo supercorsas,

I agree that the bike has enough power for most riders.

I figure that I might as well swap out the Intake cam while I have the bike taken apart.
What's done to the suspension?

How about your gearing?

Enough power for 'most' riders.... that's funny.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What's done to the suspension?

How about your gearing?

Enough power for 'most' riders.... that's funny.
Stock gearing,

Ohlins rear and re sprung and revavled forks, Most riders includes me but I wont turn down some more fo sho.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Stock gearing,

Ohlins rear and re sprung and revavled forks, Most riders includes me but I wont turn down some more fo sho.
Woah................ stock gearing?:heyyou: Play with the gearing on that thing and you will not believe how it'll wake the bike up. Seriously. Imho, it's the cheapest/best track mod you can do. The '06/'07 10R is geared really, really, REALLY tall stock. I've run my gearing as short as 16/44 (Stock is 17/40 I think?) and the bike is a friggin BEAST geared like that. It's really fun but very hard to ride around the track quickly while on only the back wheel.:badteeth: :dontknow:

Cool, sounds like you're heading in the right direction suspension wise. Just make sure you've got everything adjusted properly for you.

I hear ya on the power thing.... too much is never enough. :mrgreen:

:eek:ccasion1

1 - 15 of 15 Posts