Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something I've though about recently. The statement black is no colours and white is all the colours I think is flawed. If that's the case wtf is clear.

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
lol mind fuck? Its not a color in the sense of light and darkness, but in the case of color pigments it is. If u mix the 3 primary colors u wont get jet black, but ull get a blackish color, but u cant mix any color paint to get white, except in the light spectrum a color reflects the wavelengths in the NM range that our retinal cones respond to.

If that makes sense lol, I kept brain shitting while trying to respond

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
black is no color in a sense that if you shine a full spectrum light on a black object, i will not reflect any light. thats why it appears black. White color appears white for the exact opposite reason - it reflects all the light. Clear is something that does not reflect light (relatively speaking).

You can only see objects or colors because of their ability to reflect light.

·
Registered
409 Posts
"Clear by definition neither reflects nor emits any portion of the visible light spectrum so no, clear is not a color. It transmits light. A prism is clear. White light passing through it is broken into the classic rainbow spectrum. Those colors are a characteristic of the light and not the clear prism. Change the spectral composition of the light and the color mix of the "rainbow" changes. Change (color) the prism and it is no longer clear."

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Ima just say :+1: to whats been said. Black is the absorbtion of all colors being emitted, and not transmitting any to your eye. White is the reflection of all colors, transmitting it all back to your eye. Clear is no color, clear is a medium that light can travel through.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Ima just say :+1: to whats been said. Black is the absorbtion of all colors being emitted, and not transmitting any to your eye. White is the reflection of all colors, transmitting it all back to your eye. Clear is no color, clear is a medium that light can travel through.
I agree with this. Clear is a medium (solid, liquid, etc.) with little or no reflective properties.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts

·
Does not drive into smoke
2,156 Posts
One thing is how the human eye and brain perceives given image. In that context, both black and white can be considered colors. I don't know how physics defines colors (and if it defines them at all), since most of the electromagnetic spectrum is invisible, and hence has no color at all.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
One thing is how the human eye and brain perceives given image. In that context, both black and white can be considered colors. I don't know how physics defines colors (and if it defines them at all), since most of the electromagnetic spectrum is invisible, and hence has no color at all.
Its defined by wavelength. Each color corresponds to particular amount of energy contained in the wave. The part we are concerned with is the visible light portion, which makes up a very small section of the spectrum. I always forget, but I believe red is the most energetic and has the shortest wavelength, and Violet is the opposite, least energy and longest wavelength. This is all in terms of the visible spectrum though. Infra-Red light has more energy and a shorter wavelength that Visible Red and Ultra-Violet has less a longer wavelength.

Someone correct me if Im wrong, Ive been out of Physics for 2 years now.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Its defined by wavelength. Each color corresponds to particular amount of energy contained in the wave. The part we are concerned with is the visible light portion, which makes up a very small section of the spectrum. I always forget, but I believe red is the most energetic and has the shortest wavelength, and Violet is the opposite, least energy and longest wavelength. This is all in terms of the visible spectrum though. Infra-Red light has more energy and a shorter wavelength that Visible Red and Ultra-Violet has less a longer wavelength.

Someone correct me if Im wrong, Ive been out of Physics for 2 years now.
This is correct except that blue has the longest wavelength and therefore dissipates less rapidly causing it to reflect more throughout the atmosphere, which is why the sky appears blue. There are only a few colors in the visible spectrum. All other colors are actually mixed or multiple wavelengths.

·
2,156 Posts
Its defined by wavelength. Each color corresponds to particular amount of energy contained in the wave.
Colors are inseparably tied to how we see things. It's more like certain colors correspond to light withing some range of wavelengths, but not all colors do, since you can mix them to generate new ones.

I don't even know if each "perceived color" can be uniquely decomposed into a combination of "base colors", i.e. colors that do correspond to a wavelength.

·
2,156 Posts
This is correct except that blue has the longest wavelength and therefore dissipates less rapidly causing it to reflect more throughout the atmosphere, which is why the sky appears blue.
Blue actually has almost the shortest wavelength among the visible colors, only violet has shorter. Human eye does not perceive violet as well as blue, hence the sky looks blue.

Here's more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh_scattering

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
This is correct except that blue has the longest wavelength and therefore dissipates less rapidly causing it to reflect more throughout the atmosphere, which is why the sky appears blue. There are only a few colors in the visible spectrum. All other colors are actually mixed or multiple wavelengths.
Blue carries the most energy!!! think about it (thats how i remembered it)... TV remote controls.. they use infrared (just below red) wavelength and they are pretty safe for humans (because ether carry less energy). Blue is on the other end of spectrum. So when you go to ultraviolet, thats when things begin to get interesting. Frequency and wavelength are inversely related. Frequency times wavelength equals 300,000km/sec - a.k.a. speed of light. Frequency and energy are directly related. So higher frequency mean higher energy means shorter wavelength.

·
2,156 Posts
I just wanted to sound intelligent.lol
V² - ½ ( V is to the squal to be in the resent acting one-half the particle is equare of the work done-half then stant acceleration a. We call on displacement acceleration, the acceleration of its speed a. Let us choose this way: The partic energy of then K = m V² - ½ m a x = 0 and at time this the constant force of the symbol K, the square v ) t. The t. Here of the represultant acting one is its speed the t.

:badteeth:

http://thinkzone.wlonk.com/Gibber/Gibber.htm

·
Chairman of the Board
16,050 Posts
All I know is orange is the FASTEST wavelength there by causing orange bikes also to be the fastest. :badteeth: J/K guys. Nice discussion you have going here.

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,371 Posts
I've heard those with blue eyes see colors a bit different or lighter than those with brown eyes. Can anyone confirm this?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts