Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im wanting to lower the rear on my gen1 a lil more. i have the 3 hole links right now and i have the bolt in the 2nd hole "2in drop". my question is how many of you guys are runnin the 3 hole lowering links with the bolt in the 3rd hole and have anybody experience any undertail rubage or cracked oil pans from being so low ? any info anybody can share will be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
I pretty sure neverending mods had his at 3" drop and was scraping a lot, but moved to 1.5" drop and was good. I can attempt to figure out how much of a drop you can go by adjusting the height of mine, gonna take me a couple days though.

·
Registered
862 Posts
We have my buddies gen1 set at -3" w 8" Bolton extensions. Links are two hole (-1 & -3 according to manufacturer) and they are on the lowest setting. Drags his lower fairing a lot, and cracked the rear of the oil pan going down the highway this past summer. Going over a bridge there was a little height diff between the road and bridge. Front tire popped up a little and came down right on the rear of the oil pan. Put a huge crack in it and lost most of the oil immediately. He was real lucky cause it covered the rear tire in oil. Still set at the same height, just has to be a lot more careful.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I pretty sure neverending mods had his at 3" drop and was scraping a lot, but moved to 1.5" drop and was good. I can attempt to figure out how much of a drop you can go by adjusting the height of mine, gonna take me a couple days though.
yea i have mine set at 2inch drop and its ride fine even 2 up sometimes but wanted to go lower without f*cking up anything. hopefully neverending will see this post and chime in.

We have my buddies gen1 set at -3" w 8" Bolton extensions. Links are two hole (-1 & -3 according to manufacturer) and they are on the lowest setting. Drags his lower fairing a lot, and cracked the rear of the oil pan going down the highway this past summer. Going over a bridge there was a little height diff between the road and bridge. Front tire popped up a little and came down right on the rear of the oil pan. Put a huge crack in it and lost most of the oil immediately. He was real lucky cause it covered the rear tire in oil. Still set at the same height, just has to be a lot more careful.
wow i bet that was a scary experience :eyecrazy: i new the oil pans/header sit pretty low on these bikes from the factory so i was kinda worried if it would scrape or mess up anything bc i dont wanna mess my baby up from being so low but thx for the info.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Like I said, give me a couple days. Ill take some measurements and such, ride around and see how long I can be without scraping.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Depends on how long ur links are... i have mine in the 3rd hole(lol) and its perfect...what ever you go with just make sure u dont rub anything...it WILL cost u ET and MPH..

Good luck!!
Go Fast!!

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Mine was lowered 3" in the rear and 1" in the front and haven't hit the oil pan. I did hit the headers and dented 2 head pipes. I have to stand up and walk the bike over speed bumps and to get into my driveway. My lowers are hammered though.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
i actually just learned something yesterday lol, how low I am can scrap over a bump. slow speed and a steep bump, but I scraped yesterday over a bump I never had on before.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine was lowered 3" in the rear and 1" in the front and haven't hit the oil pan. I did hit the headers and dented 2 head pipes. I have to stand up and walk the bike over speed bumps and to get into my driveway. My lowers are hammered though.
hey if you got a pic of your bike lowered could you post it bc i would like to see how your bike sits lowered 3in in the rear. the links i have are made by diamond power sports the specs on them are stock, 2in and 4in drop.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Here you go. I can't go out and take pics of it right now because it has a 3rd gen arm now.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,228 Posts

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
If that doesn't get it low enough since you're extended, schnitz sells an adjustable linkage.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Sorry I missed this for awhile. On the street I was scraping like mad everywhere at -3" in rear. I broke off the plastics push pins off my underbelly plastics and ground down my header flanges where the mid pipe meets header. I raised it to -1.5" and is perfect. I also have my front forks dropped -1.5" in the triples.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Sorry I missed this for awhile. On the street I was scraping like mad everywhere at -3" in rear. I broke off the plastics push pins off my underbelly plastics and ground down my header flanges where the mid pipe meets header. I raised it to -1.5" and is perfect. I also have my front forks dropped -1.5" in the triples.
do you have any issue smacking your fender or anything or how did you compensate that? I want to lower the front more but I dont want to bottom it out and hit the fender/radiator/upper fairing. I dropped it 11mm right now, and 1.5" is 38mm I think?

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Only on the hardest front wheel slamming down have I hit the fender(front). That was a rare panic throttle chop almost going over when I hit a crest in the road. Had no choice but hit the back brake ir would went over and just lightly had fender hit under headlight. No damage but had a scuff I had to buff off fender. Otherwise it has been fine for many many miles of road use.
if you drop the rear and don't drop the front close to same amount bike will handle like shit. Plus if rear is lower than front there will be high speed, full throttle head shake BAD. Even with a good damper. I tried without lowering front and man was bike unstable!

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Picture of my tubes dropped down in triples.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts