Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys does anybody know if its okay to remove the front sprocket with out the chain being installed ? and will it mess up the tranny gears any ?

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I wouldn't do it you can mess up the tranny. Best bet it chain on and a 2x4 in the rear wheel and bike in neutral.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
hey guys does anybody know if its okay to remove the front sprocket with out the chain being installed ? and will it mess up the tranny gears any ?
not recommended that's alot of torque on the internals.

bloo

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
I wouldn't do it you can mess up the tranny. Best bet it chain on and a 2x4 in the rear wheel and bike in neutral.
+1.. I stuck a broom stick in the rear wheel while up on a rear stand and a couple hits from an impact gun took the sprocket off no problems. There's alot of good advice in other threads about "how to remove front sprocket". Make sure you flatten the entire lock washer flat all the way around 1st with a flat head and hammer or it'll never come off. Don't do it while in gear you could fracture input shaft or screw up a gear.

·
Registered
502 Posts
neverendingmods;1565844Make sure you flatten the entire lock washer flat all the way around 1st with a flat head and hammer or it'll never come off. [/QUOTE said:
and it may look like its flatten all the way around, but i would do a once over after your done cuz one lil spot not being totally flat and it aint ever comin off.....suuuuucks when that happens

·
Registered
971 Posts
Take it to a local dealer and ask them to do a quick loosen. Flatten the washer and it's about a minute of their time.

·
Registered
971 Posts
:lol: i do all my work myself.
I don't have a compressor, never mind a rattle gun. Hence the suggestion to take it to the dealer. I don't like the idea of putting that much strain on one half of the chain, which one does when locking the rear wheel and using long bars to try and crack the nut.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
I bought a bad ass plug in electric craftsman impact gun. No need for a compressor and airlines. Nows a good time around xmas to get 1 cheap, well cheaper than normal. The snapon cordless is bad ass too.. They come in handy alot.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I bought a bad ass plug in electric craftsman impact gun. No need for a compressor and airlines. Nows a good time around xmas to get 1 cheap, well cheaper than normal. The snapon cordless is bad ass too.. They come in handy alot.
did the electric one actually take it off??

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
did the electric one actually take it off??
Hell yeah. It's no joke. It's a big craftsman plug in electric. Off the top of my head it's rated at 450+ftlbs of tq. May be over that too. The one I bought was a discontinued model on sale for $50 off 2 yrs ago. It's a 8.5amp motor. It's big and heavy but worth the effort and hasn't let me down yet.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Sears has this Dewalt corded on sale right now which is stronger than their current craftsman one. Craftsman/sears really went toward the cordless which I don't like because of the battery needing to be fully charged. Snapon makes the best/most powerful cordless impact gun. Costs like $450 though.
Here's the Dewalt link. It's $170

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00926516000P?mv=rr

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thats wat i have in my shop and it does the trick every time :mrgreen:

·
Registered
98 Posts
The electric impact wrenches are as strong as a good air version.

I took my sprocket off using an air impact gun- I just held the rear wheel by hand- no problems. You have MUCH more leverage holding the tire.. won't work with a hand wrench though :D

-Dave

1 - 18 of 18 Posts