Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey i was thinking about ordering a set of vortex clipons. what i was unusure about was will everything mount up to the bars the same as the stock ones like the mastercylinder.

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
Heres the possible problem,

Go look at your stock clip ons and you will see the bar attaches at the fork tube almost to the center of the fork tube, slightly off center.

Vortex and other aftermarket clip ons attach to the outer circumference of the fork tube. So, it is very possible there will be clearance problems with the instrument cluster on the left side and on the right side as well going lock to lock.

Go turn your forks completely to the right and see how close the clip on comes, then imagine one that attaches to the outer circumference of the fork tube versus more to the center.

To me it looks like it will be a problem. Cant say for a FACT, I have bought some, but have not installed them.

It appears to me there will be clearance problems, maybe.

Then of course you have to drill holes to locate the pin that secures the control housing. No problems there, but will need to be done.

It does appear though you can raise aftermarket clip ons up to flush under the triple clamp, where the stock ones cannot. This might be helpful.

JJ

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Scroll down and check out these clip ons. I love these things. I saw a set on a 6R this past summer and was amazed at the quality. Plus they are adjustable. Looked easy to move them around. I'd give these some consideration. I can't remember the brand for the life of me though.

http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46382

·
Registered
540 Posts
Vortex

I have Vortex clip-ons on my bike. The fit and finish is nice. There isn't much to them.
They sit about 10mm or so below the top clamp. I don't notice it. I had to modify the reservoir holder because the old setup attached to the original clip on but it works. I didn't drill any holes to mount the switches the force from screwing them down holds them in place. But then again the tabs on my throttle were already broken off from a previous get off:mrgreen:. Here are a few pics.

:beer:

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have the Gilles clip-ons and highly recommend them, they offer great adjustablity and the fit and finish is second to non, also the bars are easily changed if you crash.
Very little mods needed to install them.

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
I have Vortex clip-ons on my bike. The fit and finish is nice. There isn't much to them.
They sit about 10mm or so below the top clamp. I don't notice it. I had to modify the reservoir holder because the old setup attached to the original clip on but it works. I didn't drill any holes to mount the switches the force from screwing them down holds them in place. But then again the tabs on my throttle were already broken off from a previous get off:mrgreen:. Here are a few pics.

Are you able to turn the bars completely lock to lock and no clearance problems hitting the gauges? If so I am going to mount mine up as I have the black Vortex also.

JJ

·
Registered
540 Posts
Are you able to turn the bars completely lock to lock and no clearance problems hitting the gauges? If so I am going to mount mine up as I have the black Vortex also.

JJ
Yes, w/o problem. Plus if there were any clearance issues you could always adjust them slightly, which you could do with the stockers also.

But to answer the next question, The benefit is really if you crash. With the stock clip-ons when you go down they don't give, meaning they may dig and do more damage to your bike causing it to flip or bend something else, fork tube, etc. With the clip on the bar is made of a lighter aluminum in most cases and they will snap off. This is usually better because they aren't hanging out like anchors to grab on to something you don't want them to. Plus the bars are replaceable. They generally run about 15 bucks a piece.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I don't think they are that much longer, I just think the grips are pushed farther out. Measure the stock ones, mine are at my buddy's house. The Vortex bar measures 11.5" end-end.

With regards to leverage, I know where you are going with that. I wanted a wider bar as well because my 06' felt very resistant to turn-in sometimes. I can tell you the single best thing I have done so far to improve turn-in was (goes off topic)shim the rear shock about ~6mm. Basically the width if two washers I got from Lowes. Inside Diameter = ~18mm

·
Registered
30 Posts
How do you like those Vortex clipons?

How do you like those Vortex clipons?

I have a set on the way. Any tips on installation?

Why didn't you slide them all the way up to the underside of the triple clamp?

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I don't think they are that much longer, I just think the grips are pushed farther out. Measure the stock ones, mine are at my buddy's house. The Vortex bar measures 11.5" end-end.

With regards to leverage, I know where you are going with that. I wanted a wider bar as well because my 06' felt very resistant to turn-in sometimes. I can tell you the single best thing I have done so far to improve turn-in was (goes off topic)shim the rear shock about ~6mm. Basically the width if two washers I got from Lowes. Inside Diameter = ~18mm

:eek:t: I have done this already, but with a 2.5mm washer added. Did improve the turn in. considering dropping the front 2mm later.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts