Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have an EK 525 gold chain. i'd like to go 2 up more on the back (+3, currently at +1) will i need to add links or can i get away with using this chain as it is now? my wheelbase is slightly longer right now, with the axle being a little farther back than halfway on the adjuster.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
going 2 up might make it tight.... if its more than half you might be able to get away with it but you can try and see and if it doesn't then just wait till the chain stretches a lil more..... I think you might be safe though with out adding links.

where in orlando are ya from?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks. ill give it a shot. ill probably order the sprocket tonight. i live in the southside. by 417 and john young

in case i need links tho, i cannot find regular clip on style links for an EK 525 chain. i wonder if i buy any 525 chain from another brand and just cut links off, will that work. there's a slightly used RK one for real cheap right now on ebay

anyone out there add links that can provide some info lemme know

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
On most Jap bikes you can 2 teeth with a standard length chain, however Kawasaki is an exception. You can only add 1 tooth and use the standard chain. U already have added 1 tooth and that is still ok. U need to add a couple more links to the chain to accomodate another 2 teeth u plan to add.
Check below.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ator0437/gc/

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so how do i go about adding links? and can i use RK 525 links on my EK chain?

they sell these screw on type style links for my chain which i dont want. all im looking for is regular clip on style, that i'll have riveted at the local shop

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
so how do i go about adding links? and can i use RK 525 links on my EK chain?

they sell these screw on type style links for my chain which i dont want. all im looking for is regular clip on style, that i'll have riveted at the local shop
Best to order a fresh chain with the length you need, Never mix 'n' match your chain. Check with the site sponsors, they should be able to sort you out.
Alternatively You can order a 16t front sprocket and a 41 rear sprocket still use the standard length chain. Which will be able to give the pumpkin a run for it money..:thumbsup:

·
Ex Postwhore
4,688 Posts
And as far as adding links you only want to go with rivet style links. Any other kind is just not safe and it might not hold. Just wait until you need a new chain so you can get new sprockets and chain at the same time so its all right the first time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts