Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I got some Alth full floating rotors and galfer pads, I just put them on and when I spin the wheel there is a grinding noise at certain points where the wheel spins and you can feel friction. Is this because the rotors are full floating or did I do something wrong? I dont know how I could of screwed this up :dontknow: and the calipers are zx14 Nissins if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance for any help guys!!

P.S. I'm going riding tomorrow so I need these guys up and running tonight!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Your supposed to have less friction/resistance with full floaters. I wouldnt worry about it unless you have more resistance than your original stock set up. You might wanna clean your calipers as well for good measure.

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well there is definitely more resistance, it sounds like there is sand/rocks in there grinding on the rotors as I spin the wheel!! Would cleaning the calipers stop that?

·
Registered
270 Posts
If they truly float like Brembo, not Galfer, it may be due to the way the rotors are "set" on the buttons. Was the flange mating surface (hub) perfectly clean? None of the factory "loctite" under there? Does the wheel make a complete rotation if you spin it? If all the above checks out, (triple check your work), take it for a careful ride for a couple miles. Use the brakes like a check-out street ride. Bring the bike back and see if the dragging is still present.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
I would make sure that all mating surfaces are clean. I have the Alth's front and rear and have noticed no such noise. I am guessing the problem will present itself...go back and double check your setup.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
well there is definitely more resistance, it sounds like there is sand/rocks in there grinding on the rotors as I spin the wheel!! Would cleaning the calipers stop that?
cleaning the piston in the calipers is a safe way to prevents the brakes hanging on the rotors. Im not saying that its going to fix your problem because it could be something else. Caliper cleaning takes an hour to do so. However i dont see how you could screw this job up in the first place.:eek:ccasion1

One more thought came to mind... did you take the pads out of the caliper and get them mixed up??? I always make sure the pads go in the same exact spot/location as they were. Uneven pads can give you problems.:eek:ccasion1

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put the the pads in exactly how they came out, all the parts are lightly used and I got them from a buddy who marked where the pads came out so I know they went in the same. I'm not sure how I screwed this up either it's not the first time I've done this. Also when I clean the calipers do I disassemble the caliper? And can't the pistons pop out?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I put the the pads in exactly how they came out, all the parts are lightly used and I got them from a buddy who marked where the pads came out so I know they went in the same. I'm not sure how I screwed this up either it's not the first time I've done this. Also when I clean the calipers do I disassemble the caliper? And can't the pistons pop out?
Yes you gotta take the pads out and then you extract the piston by pumping the lever. Do one caliper at a time obviously.Dont push the piston out too far... You will see black gunk on the piston. The only disassembling that you need to do is take the pads out.

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool thanks man! I'll give that a shot, flthy1 said one of the clips that are on top of the pads is in there wrong and it's rubbing ok the top of the rotor so I'll check that out too when I get home

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Check the clips that sit at the top of the pads. One or more could not be seated properly and dragging on the top of the rotor. Really the only thing that could be grinding unless you dropped the rotors in some sand or something.

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well flthy was right, 2 of the clips were in the wrong spot and were rubbing on the top of the rotors. It took about 3 minutes to fix the problem and got to put some miles on them today and they worked great!! Thanks for all the help guys

1 - 16 of 16 Posts