Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just ordered both the akro slip on and link pipe. i'm wondering when i strap them on i'm not going to hurt anything if i don't get a tune right? yes, i understand that to get their full potential i would need a tune but i just want to make sure if i run it without one i'm not going to blow it up! any help would be appreciated! thanks!

Joe

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
Slap that rascal on there and go bubba.......it won't be too off If it is at all with just adding a slipon. it sure won't hurt anything except maybe your gas mileage.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks! i can't wait for them to arrive. i got the CF slip-on because my bike is all black! it's going to look much nicer than the giant tube they call an exhaust on it right now! i'm so excited!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also, the link pipe removes the cat from under the bike. don't know if that's going to make any difference?

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
also, the link pipe removes the cat from under the bike. don't know if that's going to make any difference?

I think the cat is in the headers. You are removing the Boom Box.

That said you are gonna feel a nice weight savings. Lowend will suffer a little but up top will be improved; until you get it tuned of course.

Congrats I will be doing the same:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
119 Posts
All the link pipe does is remove the boom box. The catalysts are in the headers so it should still run fine. Performance gains will be minimal and some low end performance will be lost but it will sound much better. I have just fitted an akra slip on without the link pipe and it sounds fairly similar to stock and runs similar to stock without any re tuning. The Link pipe will mainly change the note as the boom box acts as a resonator. The most restrictive part of the exhaust is the catalytic converters so back pressure will still be present unless you gut them.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I just did the same thing, replace the stock muffler with the Akra and link pipe. The cats are in the headers, I haven't had any problems so far. The lower end does seem a little laggy but other than that I can't find any problems. It sounds great, and the weight savings from removing that tumor of the stock exhaust is great. I will in the future get a PCV for it when I put more mods on the bike (money availability being key).

·
Registered
641 Posts
Yeah, you may want to get it tuned for optimum performance. Akra's site shows a nice gain down low and up top with just a slip. Adding the link pipe nets a nice 3-4 lb ft tq gain avg around 5800-8800 RPM or so on their charts. I threw a link pipe on my bike with a MGP growler and it did seem really boggy down low. But, I could feel the extra tq in the midrange for sure. I took it off and put the boom box back on though cause with my growler, it was too loud. Because you're getting the Akra canister slip-on, it won't be too loud, but just right. Enjoy.

BTW, stock exhaust can 9lbs, boom box 5.5 lbs.
Akra slip prob 3.5-4lbs, link pipe 2.5 lbs

weight savings of about 8 lbs total =)

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
You will notice a power increase with the link pipe, and it will be louder. You will also drop about 5 lbs off the bike as the boom box is heavy as hell.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh man you guys are making me chew my nails waiting for the snail mail to show up! i'm not sure i like the idea of losing power down low because it's already lacking alittle (in my opinion) but a tune will come later this summer so i would assume the tune could fix the power issue down low right? sorry first slip on i've ever bought for a bike!

·
Registered
228 Posts
What most people refer as tuned usually mean getting a Powercommander (or equivalent) and remapping your air/fuel mix. There are maps that are on this site that you can download, you just need to find one that matches the mods that are on the bike. You can also take your bike to a shop that has a Dyno and they can make a custom map for your bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts