Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not the kind you find on a dog. I have an '04 with 19k miles and it had developed a semi loud ticking noise. I knew it was past due for a valve clearance check but I wanted to do the intake cam and head gasket. I found one exhaust valve out of std. (it was .23 instead of .22) but that was all. When I took the head off everything looked normal just some mild carbon buildup that I cleaned up with a soft metal brush.
When I put it back together I checked the clearances and swaped shims to get them in std. It is set in the stock timing position and runs fine but the tick is still there only it is a little louder now at startup and low rpm's. Not much but a little. It sounds almost like an exhaust leak but I'm not sure if it is. I did reuse the exhaust gaskets but the sound was there before and when I took it apart there were no signs of a leak around the header. The tick does get a little quieter when the bike warms up but it's still there and bugging the crap out of me.
This isn't my first Kawi either and I know they make extra mechanical noises. My ZRX had a tick also but it never had any issues either. I don't want to tear it down again, but I don't want to grenade it either. Any advice or ways to check for particular ticks would be helpful. TIA.
Mitchel.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
All our bikes tick like crazy. Mine did when it was brand new out of the crate and still does now. I have the intake cam as well and it does tick a little louder but not much. I have my clearances set close to the tight limit for the best performance but I check my valves every 7500 or after a track day.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I don't know about the 04/05, but my second gen had a cam chain tensioner that was a little sticky, and it ticked pretty good. I had an SV650 that REALLY ticked because of this, but I never messed with it (first bike and all... and it's still tickin' away with 50K miles on it, hehe) ;) when I finally brought it into the dealer for them to reset the tensioner (it was still under warrenty then), they were scared to even ride/run it. Aparently it was a lot louder tick with the earplugs out. :)

Anyway, the cam chain tensioner is relatively easy to reset. After another 12K miles or so, my tick is started to come back again. Took the tensioner out, cleaned it up stabbed it back in and it goes away. :)

Have you checked/removed the tensioner recently? If so, have you thoroughly cleaned it? If that isn't it, get yourself a stethescope (sp?) and go noise hunting. A piece of 3/4" or bigger rubber hose works great for this. It'll help you narrow down where it's comming from. :)

G'luck

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
sounds like an exhaust leak to me. spend the 15 buck before you drive yourself crazy. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
did u guy miss the thread about rollin it in gear backwards and lettin the clutch out to tighten the cam chain tensioner.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies guys. Spaz I did remove the tensioner but it looked good and I did reset it. All my clearances were on the tight end also. I may put in new exhaust gaskets but i'll try rolling it backwards in gear to tighten it; although this didn't help when I tried it before. I haven't tried te rubber hose trick, but I will to see if this helps pinpoint the source.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
G'luck finding it... it is starting to sound like an exhaust leak then. :) With the bottom fairing off it's pretty easy to scope out the entire length of the pipe and check for little black leak spots. Usually once you get behind the cat (ot the exhaust servo valve if you still have that functioning like stock) it woun't "tic" so much as just leak, but that is what it is.

I've never had the "back it up" trick work for a cam chain tensioner. On mine it would act like it was stuck between 'clicks'. Sometimes you could just loosen the bolts just a mm, tap it with a mallet and re torque the bolts and be good to go. I never recommend this to other people, because you can do some pretty serious damage if you loosen the bolts too much and retighten them.

Until you find out the general area where the noise is comming from, though, were just chasing ghosts. :) I'd whip the middle & lower fairings off real quick, prop up the tank, and go at it with the rubber hose 'till you can narrow it down. :)

g'luck!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again I'll be lookng for the sound later this week and will post on it if I find anything abnormal.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 05 started making a good ticking 2 weeks ago. Was a valve retainer. You double check those too? If you have one that is bad your valve will slap a bit and could fall into the motor.....mine was seconds away from dropping.

$1000.00 to have it done by a shop.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
...if they charged you a thousand dollars to fix just a valve retainer/keeper, you got had. Unless they made the new one from inconel.... or the valve was buggered up and they had to take the head off. :( I've never seen a retainer go bad, but I've seen keepers sneak out a few times. It would definately be a bad day if the valve dropped around 12K RPM or so.... :puke:

Did you ever get to the bottom of yer noise?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Might be a dumb question, but ticking that's valve related is linear to RPM's right? That is, rev it up, ticking increases frequency as well? And its very noticable? I've got a weird little tick that can't be valves.... not affecting performance at all and not always consistent.

B

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven't had a chance to look for it yet. The middle fairing is off so when I get a chance it should be easy. Too many things to do between the family and work. Maybe tommorrow I'll have a chance, I hope. The tick is RPM related and it gets quieter after the bike warms up.
bddavis33, I'm not sure about your noise. Could just be something loose, that rattles intermittently.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I fixed the tick. I'm just not sure which thing that I did fixed it. I changed the oil (probably not the fix, but needed done). I also put in new exhaust gaskets, I hadn't realised how flat the old ones were. I also loosened the tensioner a few turns until it clisked and then retightened it. Ticking sound is now gone though, so I'm happy. Not totally impressed with the cam and gasket though, maybe I need a new map to go with the new mods. I need to take it to my dyno, the dragstip to see if it really made a difference.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Hell....I thought this might be about someone thinking that they are gonna get lime disease or something!

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Good stuff man. :) Sounds like the tensioner trick or the exhaust gaskets did it for you. Mine had exactly the same symptom (RPM related tick that would quiet down after warm up) and 'adjusting' the tensioner fixed it.

Mapping the new cam will help, but playing with your timing will take further advantage of that. I don't know if you have an ignition module, but playing with the timing can do wonderful things with new cams. :)

Take it easy

·
Registered
352 Posts
I was gonna suggest re-setting your tensioner, but it looks like you did it and solved your problem. Need to do that occasionally, and I think Kawi still makes the manual kit tensioner if you don't like the stock piece.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts