Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about getting a 4 wheeler for quite a while but now I am starting to get serious about getting one. I dont know much about them so I have been looking to friends and other sources for information and advice. I am not looking to spend more than $2,000, just something to play around on. Ive got the 10 so most of my time will be spent on it. There are 2 four wheelers that I am currently looking at, so for those of you who know about them here is my question. What would be the better choice, a 99 Honda Recon 250 w/ winch (I dont really care about the winch anyhow) and it also needs tires. It is in immaculate shape and runs and shifts perfect. Price is $1200.00. The other choice is a 96 Honda Fourtrax 300 2WD w/ brand new ITP Mudlite tires and is in just as good of shape as the Recon if not better. Price is $1800 but I am going to offer $1700. I am leanin towards the Fourtrax but the only thing hindering me on it is the model year but everyone I have talked to says the Fourtrax's are bullet proof. Any advice or info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
4trax for sure. Why aren't you looking toward more of a sport model?

Tread

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, we ride in some water and a little mud so I wanted a utility four wheeler, just a little easier when there is no clutch handle to pull. Whatever I get will sit at a friends house, he lives on about 200 acres of land and he has a Honda Foreman 500 and also a Raptor 700R so if I ever get the urge, the Raptor is always there. It does pretty good in the creeks but not really meant to be used that way imo.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a '01 KVF prarie 400 4x4 (kawi), and we go mudding hard core on them. and when i get stuck the winch is great and a good offroad tool! as well when my buddies get stuck. it is freacken cool having a ATV. and abou the your question go with the honda 300. you will need the power. my friend has one but its a '00, and that thing has been to hell and back, and runs good and stong.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Honda air cooled motors are bullet proof. I'd go for the 300 over the recon. However if your getting a 2wd 300 I'd go for a 300ex. It is geared low enough and is a good creek quad and trail quad. However if you are doing some serious creek ridin I'd save alittle more coin and get a 4x4. I've had an 02 Raptor w/686 kit, 05 Honda 450r w/480 kit, and now a Kawi Prairie 700. By far the Prairie is the most fun for me.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Honda's are bulletproof for sure. A 2wd working fourwheeler won't go that well once you get in the mud or water. If you were getting a two-wheel drive get a sport model, 300 ex or 400 ex.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
One thing about the sport quads is in deep water (3 ft or more) they will float. So the big holes that the 4x4s go under you can get off and "shopping cart" yours across. We call it shopping carting cause you get off and walk behind it as it floats, holding onto the rear grab bar like your pushing a shopping cart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts