Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How u all going ? What tyre press are u all running on the q3 for fast road riding? I have been using sportsmarts and they are best run at low psi .very stiff tyre anyway i got the q3 to to see how it compares with the spoortsmart the sportsmart is the best tyre I've used bye a fair bit in terms of stability. grip.tip in. and longetivity hopefully the q3 is as good .

·
Registered
269 Posts
34 front 36 rear.
I was suggested I could drop 2 psi but I still prefer the above
Track 30 cold front 28 rear

·
Registered
360 Posts
This is from 8541Hawk
superhawk forum member

With tire pressure the only way to get the proper pressure is to check them cold and then hot. You are looking for a 10% rise in pressure, so 40 psi cold/would be 44 psi hot, as an example.

If you get more than a 10% rise, you are overheating the tires and wearing them out at a very fast rate for no real gain.

If you have a less than 10% rise you will not get the traction the tire is capable of producing.

Also if you tend to run higher pressures (on the street) you also tend to get longer tire life.

I bought a key chain pressure monitor so I didn't have to measure cold.. jump off when hot and measure quick.. PITA! but that's your call.. You will also find different tires heat differently and morning to afternoon changes temp again.. it's an art not a science.. I supose nitrogen may help in this situation..

zx10r
man. says front/ rear 36/42.. starting point.

Can't find the one I bought.. didn't pay nearly this price.. but to give you an idea
http://www.tpms.ca/MOTO-TRACK-2-PURCHASE.html?gclid=CKbY2qbh4LsCFVBgMgodrgkAHg

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I find the dunlops like lower psi 32 f 32r or even a touch lower especially the sportsmarts very stiff tyre and also depends on what riding u are doing .

·
The Pace
7,013 Posts
Unlike the powers I find the q3's don't care what's in them. 30/30 but if I put more or less simply doesn't matter. This is why I like them. Second remaining reason is that the front V's slower than powers.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
It’s good to see you guys quoting 32/32 cold or even less. setting higher PSIs doesn’t give the tires a chance to flatten out and take the proper shape on the road.

Question for the track-day riders: say you set your tires at 32/32 (or lower if you like) in the early morning just before going out for your first laps. Now jump ahead 3 ½ hrs and you are about to go back out after lunch and the desert air has warmed up 20 deg or so. Do you reset your PSI at 32/32 again or are you now choosing a different pressure based on the warmer track temp?
Also if you come back into the pits after some hot laps and check your pressure, what is the amount of PSI increase you like to see over your cold settings, + 4psi ?

·
Chairman of the Board
16,056 Posts
It’s good to see you guys quoting 32/32 cold or even less. setting higher PSIs doesn’t give the tires a chance to flatten out and take the proper shape on the road.

Question for the track-day riders: say you set your tires at 32/32 (or lower if you like) in the early morning just before going out for your first laps. Now jump ahead 3 ½ hrs and you are about to go back out after lunch and the desert air has warmed up 20 deg or so. Do you reset your PSI at 32/32 again or are you now choosing a different pressure based on the warmer track temp?
Also if you come back into the pits after some hot laps and check your pressure, what is the amount of PSI increase you like to see over your cold settings, + 4psi ?
I usually over inflate mine when I leave the house then after Im all set up and done with the riders meeting I lower them to proper temp. I usually chek em hot after the second session then again cold after lunch as you mentioned. Ive always used 10% as far as increase, so at 32/30 I look for 35/33 hot. Im not one of the fast guys and I dont have a digital guage so I get as close as I can and then go have fun.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,047 Posts

I set my tire pressures at the track - usually around 8:30 for a 9 am session.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
tires

O.G. and Tech, what cold pressure did you start with?
For track day I just put 30f 28r then put them on warmers. Once the warmers were up to temp. I adjusted back down to 30-28 as the pressure usually rises about 4 to 6 lbs. I always recheck the tires at noon after the morning sessions and usually have to drop another pound to get back to 30-28. Here in Arizona track temps get into the 170s in May we checked with a heat gun. My tires usually come off the warmers about 165 170 degrees. After a session the tire is at 145 degrees even with track temps in the 170s. So like some one has mentioned they like to operate in the 145 range.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
those are good replies, good info. thnx

·
Registered
59 Posts
Unlike the powers I find the q3's don't care what's in them. 30/30 but if I put more or less simply doesn't matter. This is why I like them. Second remaining reason is that the front V's slower than powers.
Sounds about right. Q3's have a harder carcass than the power 3's so they hold their shape better but I try to aim for about 4psi difference from cold to hot on the track.

·
The Pace
7,013 Posts
Sounds about right. Q3's have a harder carcass than the power 3's so they hold their shape better but I try to aim for about 4psi difference from cold to hot on the track.
Yeah the q3 front have to slam the flick compared to the pp3 or 2ct or reg pp. Never had q3's on track so I would watch. Think way low would work but I would start them at 25 each and run some laps to see what. Then adjust from there. Wouldn't worry about warmers, just let a lap warm them up.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Used the Q3s the last two track days love them. 30-28 off the warmers worked awesome. You don't need warmers but I like being able to go harder right out of the box. IMHO they gave more feel and feed back than the Q2s not a lot better but enough so you notice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts