Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post I would like to thank everyone for the information I have gained from the many posts I have read. I have a 08 zx10 that I am using for track days only. The suspension is stock at this point. I ran a day and a half due to rain at Mid-Ohio last Auguest on Q3's with 0 miles on them. The tires felt great even on a drying track. My first question is how many track days can I get out of a set of tires running at a intermediat pace. I am heading out to Barber first week of April should I bring anther set of tires if so would it be beneficial to go to slicks? Any imput is greatly appreciated. Cheers.:eek:ccasion14:

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,808 Posts
If you're truly running at intermediate pace and depending on bike setup and track conditions, you'll be lucky to get 2 days out of a rear Q3. Slicks will likely be the same or a bit worse. Depending on the compound. And usually require tire warmers to get the most out of them. You'll be running faster on those though, all things considered.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
264 Posts
I run slicks in advanced and I get 3 track days at best out of them and you do need warmers for them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. Let me go one step further I purchased warmers for this season and this will be my first trip using them sounds like I will need to replace at least my rear so in your opinion's should I go with slicks or stay with the Q3's. If I go with slicks what is the best to run?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Thank you. Let me go one step further I purchased warmers for this season and this will be my first trip using them sounds like I will need to replace at least my rear so in your opinion's should I go with slicks or stay with the Q3's. If I go with slicks what is the best to run?
I really liked the Pirelli slicks SC2 good grip and feel. The rear would last only 2 track days and their freakin expensive like near four bills a set. You should be able to get the Q3s for under 300 a set.

·
Registered
264 Posts
You'll get many opinions on who's are the best. It all comes down to personal preference. I've ran Bridgestone's and Dunlop's with good results on both. You have to run lower pressures with the Dunlop's.

·
Registered
206 Posts
2 and 3 days for a Q3??!!??

Check your tire pressures and or suspension. Something is WRONG with your bike.

I've put 4 race practice trackdays on a set, and a few races. Still got half life. Saving them for my street bike (restoring a 93 ZX7) now that I'm on 211s and slicks.

They'll last a damn long time if you take care of them. I can get more life out of Q3's than any other tire. I switched off because I was spinning the rear occasionally in races. Nothing worrisome, but I wanted to see if it could be eliminated with different tires. It can. Of course, better throttle control would work too.

You can hold a pretty blistering pace even on super shitty tires if you have a good throttle hand.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
With Dunlop slicks, a rear I can get around 70 laps with flipping it and the fronts will last twice that easily. Go with a UK made front and US rear for cost effectiveness.

You could alway try a DOT race tire instead.
The front's last even longer than that. No one knows how long exactly..... I go through 6 US rears to 1 UK front and that's just because that's crazy... not because the tire is actually falling off.

70 laps out of a rear sounds about right (as longs as you're fast enough to keep it hot!)

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
2 and 3 days for a Q3??!!??

Check your tire pressures and or suspension. Something is WRONG with your bike.

I've put 4 race practice trackdays on a set, and a few races. Still got half life. Saving them for my street bike (restoring a 93 ZX7) now that I'm on 211s and slicks.

They'll last a damn long time if you take care of them. I can get more life out of Q3's than any other tire. I switched off because I was spinning the rear occasionally in races. Nothing worrisome, but I wanted to see if it could be eliminated with different tires. It can. Of course, better throttle control would work too.

You can hold a pretty blistering pace even on super shitty tires if you have a good throttle hand.
Your drive off the corners will suffer terribly though.

The front's last even longer than that. No one knows how long exactly..... I go through 6 US rears to 1 UK front and that's just because that's crazy... not because the tire is actually falling off.

70 laps out of a rear sounds about right (as longs as you're fast enough to keep it hot!)
I'm pretty sure I saw sparks coming off your front tire, probably the cords showing through. 6:1?!! Your crazy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts