Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
I am Alan from Argentina and I lowered my 2013 Gen 4 Front end.
The problem I had, is that the Forks Under Holder, specificly the lower bolt, does not get tight because the forks are thinner in the lower zone.

I will upload some pictures so you can understand whata I am saying. Sory for my bad english haha.

The question is: The persons who lowered it, how do they did it?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi all.
I am Alan from Argentina and I lowered my 2013 Gen 4 Front end.
The problem I had, is that the Forks Under Holder, specificly the lower bolt, does not get tight because the forks are thinner in the lower zone.

I will upload some pictures so you can understand whata I am saying. Sory for my bad english haha.

The question is: The persons who lowered it, how do they did it?

Thanks in advance.
Pics below

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,708 Posts
Yes, you can not lower it that much be sliding the forks up into the triple tree like that. You can lower it some that way, but not as much as you've done. The reason being that the fork are a different diameter as you've found out. The other reason is the first bump you hit the forks will compress and smash the front fender into the front fairing. At best, you'll brake some plastic pieces. Worst case is you lock up the front tire and crash. :headshake: If you are drag racing, then you should be strapping the front lower. If you're lowering it because you have short legs or think it looks good, then you need to get blocks for the soles of your boots and stop thinking that looks good. Or look at shortening/narrowing the seat instead. It's dangerous the way you have it right now.

You should not lower it outside of the wider portion of the fork.

Reactions: 07_ZX10R

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you lower the rear too?
Not yet. I will check how it goes this way and if I need, I will buy the rear lowering link.
There is one adjustable that I can buy here in Argentina.
Yes, you can not lower it that much be sliding the forks up into the triple tree like that. You can lower it some that way, but not as much as you've done. The reason being that the fork are a different diameter as you've found out. The other reason is the first bump you hit the forks will compress and smash the front fender into the front fairing. At best, you'll brake some plastic pieces. Worst case is you lock up the front tire and crash. :headshake: If you are drag racing, then you should be strapping the front lower. If you're lowering it because you have short legs or think it looks good, then you need to get blocks for the soles of your boots and stop thinking that looks good. Or look at shortening/narrowing the seat instead. It's dangerous the way you have it right now.

You should not lower it outside of the wider portion of the fork.
Thanks for the comment.
I saw some bikes in the forum that are lowered the same way, that why I am asking how do they did it.

About front fender, braking as hard as possible, the front fender did not touch the front fairing. I turn the compression/extension registers 1 turn clockwise to make it a little bit harder.

I will wait to others who have done it to check how do they did it.

Thanks for the comments guys!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
As others have mentioned you can't lower the front end that far. As Skydork mentioned you will hit the fender. In addition your tire is going to slam into your radiator causing more damage. While you are correct some bikes are lowered, they are not lowered to that extreme.

What exactly are you going to be using the bike for? This might gives us more direction on how to help you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As others have mentioned you can't lower the front end that far. As Skydork mentioned you will hit the fender. In addition your tire is going to slam into your radiator causing more damage. While you are correct some bikes are lowered, they are not lowered to that extreme.

What exactly are you going to be using the bike for? This might gives us more direction on how to help you.
I know that I can shorten the springs inside the forks, but here in Argentina is not so easy to get some short springs. We have to send it from the Usa or Europe and it is very expensive.

It is for street riding and some drag racing too, I tried hard braking many times and the front fender does not touch the front fairing.

Keep waiting for other points of view.

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I know that I can shorten the springs inside the forks, but here in Argentina is not so easy to get some short springs. We have to send it from the Usa or Europe and it is very expensive.

It is for street riding and some drag racing too, I tried hard braking many times and the front fender does not touch the front fairing.

Keep waiting for other points of view.

Thanks again
I run a suspension shop and do this every day. I see this kind of stuff all the time and I'm telling you, you will run into issues. But it seems you are looking for a specific answer, so I wish you the best of luck on getting that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I run a suspension shop and do this every day. I see this kind of stuff all the time and I'm telling you, you will run into issues. But it seems you are looking for a specific answer, so I wish you the best of luck on getting that.
I know the issues I can have in the futuro.
My only concern is to know if the others did the same way or not.
Maybe the make some parts to put between the fork and the holder.

Thanks a lot for the answers, I am saying it really

·
Registered
769 Posts
+2 for Skydork's comment. Re-shape the seat and make it narrower so you can put your feet down more easily and you won't have to lower it so much.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I know the issues I can have in the futuro.
My only concern is to know if the others did the same way or not.
Maybe the make some parts to put between the fork and the holder.

Thanks a lot for the answers, I am saying it really
Nobody i know that drag races, even competitively lowers their front end so aggressively that isn't a dedicated, drag race only machine.

Two of my friends who are active drag racers have done it, but their bikes do not go on the street anymore. When they streeted them they did not raise the forks so much. And regardless, high or low forks, they still used a jam-kit to prevent excessive load transfer to the rear.

See progress pics for evidence. Bikes have not been streeted in a long time (last street ride was around 2016 for blue and white busa - before he removed front brake rotor and raised forks more than 15-20mm)

You're a fool if you think lowering this much is safe for the street. May as-well remove your front brakes and just speed up the process.:2bitchslap:

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for comments.
I only want to clarify that I DO NOT thinks this is safer than stock.

My problem is that in drag racing the front comes up and I can not push as hard as I want.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ahh, well yeah. You're doing wrong anyway
I will try to get some short springs to change the OEM ones so I have not to displace the front forks.

I will give it a try. If I dont like it or I have some toubles, I will go back to stock configuration.

I appreciate your help!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts