Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so it looks like the tail section with subframe and sidepanels from the second gen onto the 1st gen is a straight bolt on. Now who can tell me if they know for sure that the upper/mids/lowers would be bolt on as well?

I'm assuming that in order to do this I would need the 06-07 ram air tube and upper fairing stay and obviously the 06-07 fairings.

okay before everyone and their mom starts flaming me for trying to change my fairings to the 06-07 style realize this

I dont like having integrated turn signals because thats just one more reason to get pulled over. Id prefer the OEM tail section off the 06-07 because the turn signals are integrated stock into the tail and I can just have my friend Gregg from Gregg's Customs throw a rear facing Licensce plate light on the tail section. Then all i would really need to do is throw a rear red reflector on the bottom of the plate and Ive got no more reasons to be pulled over which we all know is really really nice.

Next my stock headlights on my first gen just absolutely SUCKKKKKKKKKKKK! I ride my 10-R a lot and I ride it a lot at night and I just hate how much it sucks trying to see anything on the road 100 feet ahead of me or anything at all when i am leaned over taking a turn. I love the projectors on the 06-07's so I can throw a set of HID ballasts in and have some acceptable headlights.

So now that we have my explanation out of the way

PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR OPINIONS ABOUT MY SWAP AND PLEASE ONLY RESPONSES THAT HAVE USEFUL INFORMATION PERTAINING TO THIS SWAP

I HAVE SEEN GARTHS SWAP AND THAT IS NOT WHAY I AM TALKING ABOUT I AM LOOKING FOR SOMETHING WITH OEM FAIRINGS WITH HEADLIGHTS AND OEM MOUNTING BRACKETS NOT RACE FAIRINGS =]

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I do know that. I spent at least 30 or 40 hours over the last month using the search on this site over topics like this and have seen how consistently people stray from the OP's thread and start either bashing them, giving opinions, sharing story's etc.. I'm not interested in any of that, just the answer to if the 06-07 zx-10R upper, mid, and lower fairings will bolt on the 04-05 zx-10r without any serious modification.

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Did you try an ASE cert mech?
PS, this is a public forum and opinions will flood your thread, Good luck

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you try an ASE cert mech?
dude STFU. This has nothing to do with my mechanical abilities. THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I PUT IN CAP LOCKS LETTER the stuff I did. Get the hell out of my thread unless you have an answer or advice that pertains to my questions it is really as simple as that. I dont need your horseshit posts or remarks. Got it? Its douche bags like you that stir up shit in threads and cause 15 page mayhems.

·
Registered
23,742 Posts
Yes I do know that. I spent at least 30 or 40 hours over the last month using the search on this site over topics like this and have seen how consistently people stray from the OP's thread and start either bashing them, giving opinions, sharing story's etc.. I'm not interested in any of that, just the answer to if the 06-07 zx-10R upper, mid, and lower fairings will bolt on the 04-05 zx-10r without any serious modification.
If garth had to do modification and if it was serious(what you think is serious) than most likely you have your answer.

Everything starts from the RAM Air tube and those 2 gens are different. If you did all that search time and found no answers that is probably because it can't be done without any serious modification. This is the site that will most likely have that answer if possible. :wink:

I think the tanks can be swapped though. :lol:

:welcome:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If garth had to do modification and if it was serious(what you think is serious) than most likely you have your answer.

Everything starts from the RAM Air tube and those 2 gens are different. If you did all that search time and found no answers that is probably because it can't be done without any serious modification. This is the site that will most likely have that answer if possible. :wink:

I think the tanks can be swapped though. :lol:

:welcome:
Wow hey thanks for having a nice informative answer! I actually did find quite a few different posts on the gas tanks. seems they are identical expect for the fuel ca and on the 06-07 tanks something intrudes out a half an inch that doesn't clear the air box, but i guess you can take a hammer to the bottom of the tank and make it work. As for the fairings, I really just don't know if anyone has tried. I mean lets think about it the frames are identical, the forks don't have a crazy angle change that wouldn't clear the new upper. I just don't see why with the new ram air tube and upper fairing stay connecting to that that it wouldn't not work you know? hopefully I can get a hold of someone locally with a second gens bike for a day and give it a shot!

as for Garths bike I don't think any major modification other than all the pain the in the ass work you have to do getting race body work to fit anyway was needed.

We'll see though, I just ordered a Brand new OEM 2006-2007 green zx-10 tail and side plates, hotbodies under tail, used (but straight) 06-07 OEM sub frame, battery tray, like 18 different OEM sub frame/tail section/tail light/turn signals/side plate mounting bolts, 2006-2007 driver and passenger seats, 2006-2007 OEM seat cowl, and last but not least 2005 OEM ZX-10R tail section stickers.

Looks like everything should all be here before the end of this coming week so I'll keep everyone updated with pictures, Im going to modify my Akrapovic 1st gen pipe to a high mount with this set up and I think it will look dope!

·
Registered
23,742 Posts
Wow hey thanks for having a nice informative answer! I actually did find quite a few different posts on the gas tanks. seems they are identical expect for the fuel ca and on the 06-07 tanks something intrudes out a half an inch that doesn't clear the air box, but i guess you can take a hammer to the bottom of the tank and make it work. As for the fairings, I really just don't know if anyone has tried. I mean lets think about it the frames are identical, the forks don't have a crazy angle change that wouldn't clear the new upper. I just don't see why with the new ram air tube and upper fairing stay connecting to that that it wouldn't not work you know? hopefully I can get a hold of someone locally with a second gens bike for a day and give it a shot!

as for Garths bike I don't think any major modification other than all the pain the in the ass work you have to do getting race body work to fit anyway was needed.

We'll see though, I just ordered a Brand new OEM 2006-2007 green zx-10 tail and side plates, hotbodies under tail, used (but straight) 06-07 OEM sub frame, battery tray, like 18 different OEM sub frame/tail section/tail light/turn signals/side plate mounting bolts, 2006-2007 driver and passenger seats, 2006-2007 OEM seat cowl, and last but not least 2005 OEM ZX-10R tail section stickers.

Looks like everything should all be here before the end of this coming week so I'll keep everyone updated with pictures, Im going to modify my Akrapovic 1st gen pipe to a high mount with this set up and I think it will look dope!
Well we have a few looong time members that have both Gens. I think that question came up before and they would have answered if it looked like it was close. Remember the 1st and 2nd Gen might look close but they have a different rake and trail meaning the front ends and even the back end is not the same so I would expect fairing swaps would be a major problem.

If you get something working though please post up many like the Idea of fairing swaps.

bloo

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I'm thinking I just going to spend the 200 bucks on the ram air tube and upper fairing stay new, and pick up one of those cheap eBay sets and see what it takes to mount them. If it all bolts up then Ill buy a headlight and just run those.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
If i remember correctly the frames are not identical, the engine was placed at a different angle (more forward) but i don't know if this affects the fairing mounting points. The geometry was also less sharp by half or one degree. You need to relocate the water reservoir to the other side. The tanks also are not a direct fit, but with some fab can be swapped. As bloo said, you need to start from the ram air.

·
Registered
13 Posts
dude STFU. This has nothing to do with my mechanical abilities. THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I PUT IN CAP LOCKS LETTER the stuff I did. Get the hell out of my thread unless you have an answer or advice that pertains to my questions it is really as simple as that. I dont need your horseshit posts or remarks. Got it? Its douche bags like you that stir up shit in threads and cause 15 page mayhems.
lmfao wtf? :heyyou:

·
Caedite Eos Novit Enim Do
2,461 Posts
uhhhh wouldn't it be easier just to buy an 06/07 zx-10R? unless your highly experienced @ fab work and have the appropriate tools & patience (which by some of your reply's, YOU DONT) these projects never go as planned. also just a word of advise, you coming off as a d-head prob wont get you to far on here, good day mate!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts