Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to create another oil filter thread, but this looks like new information. I copied this from another site. Seems the manufacture claims to NOT use the PureOne filter in a bike. Personally I never paid much attention to Bob the idiot guy.
:popcorn:

I tried to get a Purolator PureOne filter for my 7fiddy but, could not find one at Advance Auto.
I decided to contact Purolator directly to see which one I need and this was their response.

Hi Brad,

Thank you for your interest in our Purolator PureOne filtration products. I would like to take the time and explain why the PureOne filter's are NOT recommended for motorcycles. According to a couple of websites, the Purolator PureOne filter is the best filter for motorcycles, however, these filter's are designed for only cars and have never been tested on motorcycles. In this scenario, these filters will not have a warranty. I've read a few sites about this situation and have read the statement "not responsible for damage to your bike", this should make you leery of using one. One motorcycle mechanic summed it up by stating the PureOne filter is so restrictive that the oil pump on a bike may not be able to handle the pressure. We do have a line of motorcycle filter's at manufactured by Purolator that are the equivalent to the OE (original equipment).

The recommended filter for your bike at this time is the ML16816. You may find this part at Pep Boys, participating Advance Auto Parts or by going to Amazon.com in which you may sometimes get 2 for one.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know should you have any further questions.
Katrina S. Hull

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
One motorcycle mechanic summed it up by stating the PureOne filter is so restrictive that the oil pump on a bike may not be able to handle the pressure.
If there is insufficient oil pressure in the system the oil pressure numbers would be low. This is not the case on the ZX-10R as the oil pressure is within factory spec.

I'm using the pureONE filter, and know a lot of people who do without issue. If you're worried pick up the ML16816, as they mentioned because they're similar in pricing. I am not sure if they have the same filter media as the PureONE or the conventional Purolator filter. I know the PureONE filter media is supposed to be one of the best out there.

Also, using the shorter of the two recommended PureONE filter might be better if you're worried about insufficient oil pressure. Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To help interpret (as least from my understanding), bikes (including the ZX10) run much lower oil pressures than autos which may use 2-3 times higher psi. The filter media used in the pureone filter was designed for these higher pressures and are too restrictive for low psi engines like bikes.

You would never know about a restriction in the filter media, as the oil would bypass the filter either via the filter's valve (assuming it has one), or the valve built into the engine for this very reason.

I've never used their filters and could care less, but if a manufacture told me their product should not be used for an application, I would listen to them.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Whoa... Now this is good info! Gonna have to look into it. I've been running Pure One filters for a combined total of 25k+ miles between three bikes and never saw a low pressure light but it would suck if the filter was in bypass for most of those miles... :badteeth:

Gonna cut my next filter open and check the media.

But I use the larger of the two filters for more surface area which would equal less resistance to flow vs more Rspec99. If each sq inch of media flows x amount, more media would flow more oil.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
hmmm, well, let us know what you find out. i've used the pureone filter now for 25,000 miles on my 04 10R, and the last 2500 miles on my 03 RC51. never seen a low oil pressure light and it was full of oil when i changed the filter.

heck, older guy had 70,000 miles on his 04 10R without issue.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
FYI, the purolator PL14610/14612 car filter's bypass opens at 14-18psi, the motorcycle specific one is 9-12psi.

The ZX-10R spec oil pressure is supposed to be between 22-33psi @ 4,000 rpm.

I am not sure what the stock ZX-10R Toyo-Roki filter opens at, but I read that on one tested for a Gixxer, it opened at 17psi which was almost exactly what the Purolator car filter opened at.

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
I've also used the Pure One filter on my bike for 21,000 miles now and she has no problems.

·
Registered
685 Posts
All the research I have done so far agrees with what RSpec99 says. These filters meet or exceed the specs of the factory/OEM filters.

On several sites, I have seen guys using PureOne filters exclusively on bikes with 20k+ miles. I have not read of one oil/oil filter related failure in the days of research that I have done. The only issues I have found are related to Harley's which must have either marginal or lower pressure oiling systems. Not sure if any Harley owners use these filters though.

I used these filter exclusively on my first bike for about 15-20k miles, my second bike for 16k miles, and so far, have just about 8k miles on my 10R with no problems to report. My Z1000 dyno'd 133hp which is normal for that bike, my 12R dyno'd 174hp which is normal for that bike. Haven't dyno'd the 10R yet.

My conclusion is that of some of the other forums' members. Someone, somewhere, may have used a PureOne filter and destroyed their engine and Purolator is using that statement to discourage the use of the filters on motorcycles for liability reasons. YMMV... :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
Purolator's statement is probably because the filter does not *exactly* match the OEM specifications.

I would suggest using the larger (longer) of the two filters ... same flow through more filtration area will have less pressure drop across it.

Higher bypass pressure will only be a problem if your filter is actually clogged, and if that's the case, you've got other problems.

Like many others, I've been using the PureOne (the longer one) since the first oil and filter change. 55,000 km on it now, no issues.

·
Registered
685 Posts
go away crazi! Your 10 will dyno PoooooO!
:lol::lol: :crackup:

I don't care if it dyno's pooo... As long as it keeps scaring the pooo out of me when I crack the throttle! Whats been up mang!:hello:

·
Registered
781 Posts
:lol::lol: :crackup:

I don't care if it dyno's pooo... As long as it keeps scaring the pooo out of me when I crack the throttle! Whats been up mang!:hello:

:zx_blue:+ Feds zx-10= :spankbw: * :gay: = :rockwoot:

·
Registered
685 Posts
I miss you! Crazy baltimore "Ridin" days. How are we still on two feet?
:thumbsup: Blessings from the man upstairs! :wink: That was a crazy ride!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 22 Posts