Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening gents. Today I pulled my filter for the first time to clean. There was a little more to it than I had envisioned and want to take advantage of the access to this area before I put it back together tomorrow. Is there any tips or tricks anyone can suggest that I can do while the bike is torn down? I would appreciate any advise. The bike is an 09 with about 3k mikes. Thanks. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
That becomes an easy task once you do it a couple times.

Theres not much else to be done in the airbox. Take a quick look at your upper injectors to see if they are clean. They should be fine. As far as maintenance goes, your done.

If you wanted to pull your secondary flies out, now would be the time.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That becomes an easy task once you do it a couple times.

Theres not much else to be done in the airbox. Take a quick look at your upper injectors to see if they are clean. They should be fine. As far as maintenance goes, your done.

If you wanted to pull your secondary flies out, now would be the time.
I think I'll just wipe it down and put her back together later. I don't think I am going to do the secondaries given all I have read on here and elsewhere. Thanks for the advice and take care.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Umm, well, those philip head screws retaining the airbox lid, pissed me off.

I found socket head sheet metal screws that fit. And the socket head screws hold the stubby wrench, no slip.

As for cleaning the filter, I trust your not talking stock filter.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Umm, well, those philip head screws retaining the airbox lid, pissed me off.

I found socket head sheet metal screws that fit. And the socket head screws hold the stubby wrench, no slip.

As for cleaning the filter, I trust your not talking stock filter.

BMC...you must equate post counts with commom sense. :lol:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I put it back together this morning and took it for a test ride. Right away I noticed a slight difference with it's handling. It oddly seems to handle a tad bit better especially on low speed turns. I attribute this to the steering damper bolts being removed while getting to the filter. Usually when you (or should I say "I") put something back together and there is a change of some sort it's usually BAD but with this I am quite happy with how it handles around town. I just don't have no idea what specifically caused it :dontknow:. I just hope it doen't end up biting me in the a$$ once I get on the highway. I don't really care for high speed cornering to begin with but in turn I do value my safety. Has anyone else have this happen or think I should be concerned with this change?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
BMC...you must equate post counts with commom sense. :lol:
Actually....I don't have to do anything.

You may (or may not) give accurate information, though.

Just in case You might consider elaborating...What is removing Steering damper bolts? Did you put them back? Is the damper somehow different than before?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Actually....I don't have to do anything.

For the love of God! This was an observation...not a request or command. First off, if I was telling or commanding you to do something I wouldn't have used this little laughing smiley face guy on the end of my sentence :)lol:like this one). That would not have made no sense at all. Also, It might have sounded something like this if I was demanding something from you..."Hey fuck face, you better equate common sense with post counts if you ever respond to anything I ever post again". Do you see the difference? Can you see how counter productive that would have been for me? I can't see how someone could misinterpret that unless they chose to. I am about as friendly as they come and never try to intentionally be an asshole to anyone on here.

You may (or may not) give accurate information,

If I did not give enough info for you to help....then don't! You could have easily asked me to elaborate on something if I was unclear.

What is removing Steering damper bolts?

They are 2 allen head bolts that connect the steering damper unit and the tank to the frame of the motorcycle. You must remove them to get to the air filter. You also have to reinstall them so your steering damper is secured to the frame. This is not an option.

Did you put them back?
Yes

Is the damper somehow different than before?
Not to my eye but it handles a bit different like I said. If something was visibly different or looked wrong I would have mentioned it in my post.

By the way, BMC is a brand of reuseable air filter similar to K&N air filters. They very popular throughout the motorcycle community. I hope this is enough information for you but if I left some critical info out then please let me know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts