Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From this thread...

http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77785

So, pull it I did! Friday, Aug. 7th I picked up my brand new '08 Candy Plasma Blue ZX-10R for $7999 locally. IMHO, you can't beat that with a stick!
So after almost a week and a half and lots of riding and breaking in, here's my take. I'm coming from a modded '95 GPZ1100 so my thoughts are sometimes relative to that, and I've never ridden a true sportbike before this. I'm 27 years old, 5'8", and 160 lbs (about 180 geared up).
If you don't want to read my long review, skip to the (low-res so far) pic instead. :)

First impression- Okay, throttle is controllable, but touchy. Ouch my wrists and hands hurt. This sucks. Of course I was being easy on the throttle so I didn't have thoughts on power, other than that the torque was not lacking from the 1100, which is GOOD.

Ergonomics - Well it is a race bike, afterall. I got what I expected here. Helibars or the like are DEFINITELY on the short list. #1 pain was in my wrists and hands, but after a 260 mile ride yesterday (combination of highway and moderately curvy country roads), my #1 pain was by far in my neck (OUCH OUCH OUCH), and #2 was my hands/wrists, #3 was a sharp pain in my right ankle which isn't used to being cramped up like that, #4 was my butt from that rock hard seat.
I had to take plenty of Motrin afterward to stop moving around like I was 70 years further down the road.
If I'm going to be happy with this bike, I need higher clip-ons and a softer seat (the new 08-09 Corbin) at minimum. I think I'll be okay eventually.

Suspension - Stock settings are still set, I need to experiment. I did soften the fork rebound and compression two clicks for the ride yesterday though, it helped smooth things up a little.
Overall, I love the adjustability and I think it'll feel great once I get it dialed in for me, though it's still a rough ride. Again, it is a racebike...

Handling - I'm still getting used to it, but it feels very precise and wants to go where I point it, though it doesn't seem to want to fall in quite as easily as the GPZ1100, oddly enough. I think that's because that bike has Metzeler M3's and they have a much pointier profile than these Bridgestones. When these wear out I'll go with a pointier tire I think. I'm not lacking confidence with the grip so far, though.
Of course I'll be able to push it harder once I set up the suspension for me and get even more miles on it, and a trackday or two is a must. :thumbsup:

Power - HOLY HELL. As in, I saw a flash of heaven and a flash of hell all in the same instant. :eyecrazy:
I opened it up for the first time yesterday, and upon returning home I promptly dis-assembled the entire bike looking for the hyper-drive that kicks in beginning at 6000rpm, but I can't seem to locate it. Does anyone know where they installed that thing?
First time was in second gear on a long, straight, empty road. I half expected to flip over, but it stayed down. I just ended up having to un-glue my eyeballs and brain from the back of my helmet after I slowed back down. JEEZUM, WHAT A RUSH!
I then went for first gear, from 70mph. About .2 seconds and 10mph or so later, it came up so I let off quick, then giggled like a drunken schoolgirl. I can honestly say that I never thought I'd ever be on one wheel at 80mph until yesterday. :lol: This thing will rip to any illegal speed at any given instant. Definitely requires tons of respect, which I've been giving and will continue to give it.
Realistically, this would still be a fast bike if it redlined at 6000rpm!
I like the low-end torque. Sometimes it feels softer than the 1100, sometimes stronger. Weird. It's very comparable overall, and not lacking one bit.

Appearance - Some love it, some hate it. I personally love it. To me the front looks like a cross-eyed cat, but very aggressive at the same time. I like it. The exhaust can leaves something to be desired, just because I feel that it's out of place on this bike. I like this style on the Z1000, though.
That Candy Plasma Blue... yummy sweetness. It had me from day one in 2006 (saw it on the ZX-14), and plays no small part in my getting hooked on this bike. My only complaint is that there isn't nearly enough of it. In fact, I'm going to paint more of it this beautiful color. I like the smooth one-color look of bodywork, and I think this will look darn good like that. I'm going to paint my project '85 750 Turbo the same color.

My future improvements - Some mentioned already, and in no particular order...
1) Helibars or equivalent (more research needed for which)
2) Corbin seat
3) frame sliders (Champs I think)
4) homemade rear fender eliminator
5) slip-on... haven't decided which, but I don't need more power, just want sound, looks, weight reduction. The stock exhaust is too quiet for me (though I don't like them deafeningly loud either)
6) Paint - More Candy Plasma Blue please!

That's about all I can think of with my limited experience thus far. All and all, I love this bike, it just needs slightly less 'race' for the street for me. If it hurts a lot to ride, I won't enjoy riding it.

Here's a lake in PA that we stopped at, unfortunately I didn't think about bringing the real camera. DOH! So this is from my cell phone (don't you hate that?) It's better than nothing, though. :dontknow: I'll have real pics before too long.

My GPZ1100 is for sale for $1500 btw, if anyone wants a good, though older, sport touring bike. Still fast, and WAY more comfortable than a 10R. :)
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/1326486589.html

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
nice write up... yeah the more miles you put on it the better it gets I just turned mine over to 7000 miles the other day... still love it everytime i ride it... get ya some new grips that will help out alot for the hands...

·
Registered
308 Posts
I would not be to quick to change seats. Actually firmer can be better on longer rides. Your butt just needs to get used to it. The wrist and neck pain is to be expected. That too will get better with time. Make sure you are not bending your wrists while riding. Adjust controls if needed. Make sure you are using core muscles to support your upper body and not using your arms and wrists. There should not be much weight on your wrists. Squeeze the tank with your knees and use core muscles. Do a search on exhaust and get rid of that trash can back there. Last but not least, be careful how much blue you put on that thing. It will slow it down.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice and thoughts guys.

The seat wasn't bothering me too badly, but compared to my GPZ1100, which has a soft seat, this one was a lot worse. I can ride the 1100 all day long. Of course if I don't like the Corbin in all riding situations, I can just swap back to the stocker real quick.

I have tried to use all the core muscles to hold me up, but it causes me lower back pain if I do it for more than a very short time. I have chronic mild lower back pain, this flares it up. On the other hand, getting used to that may help strengthen the proper muscles to ease my chronic pain, I don't know.
I do know that my arms need to be relatively relaxed to better my cornering, so that makes sense, just doesn't feel right (yet?).

I did adjust the brake and clutch levers to the maximum lower positions while still clearing everything lock to lock. The way I bought it had them much too high and I felt almost like I had to pull the levers 'down' when using them. With the way it is now it's very usable and doesn't bother me much, but if there was more clearance I feel that they could go down a tad more to be perfect. This is even with my elbows down low, so it's not that I'm just too angled. It's just personal preference I guess.

On the blue making it slower, nah. More blue makes it faster! After cut & buffing the paint it'll be smoother all around, thus much more aerodynamic! :thumbsup:
Seriously though, I could care less about the extra 1 pound more paint will add. :)

As far as exhaust, I'm torn. I don't need more than a slip-on so I don't need to get rid of the 'boom box', but I want to paint that cover blue and I noticed that it gets REALLY hot, so I think I want to get (or weld up) a mid-pipe that keeps that cover, and will keep it cooler. However, I don't want the bike to be too loud and I think it will be if I do both.
On top of that, I really don't much like the looks of most of the aftermarket pipes. What happened to simple looking medium sized oval cans? The 1100 has a Micron system and the can looks nice, clean, and has the PERFECT sound IMHO (not too loud, not too soft even though it's all straight through, but that's because it doesn't flow nearly as much air as this bike).

I was set on the Micron GP Sidewinder because I like the looks and sound, but it's pricey and now that I've heard it called a "whale penis" I'll never be able to look at it again without that imagery, so it's out. :/
I kinda like the Competition Werkes race muffler but I feel that it'll be way too loud. That's the one I'm going to put on my '85 750 Turbo (custom exhaust), which has a turbo to quiet it down some.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
:thumbsup: Great comment about seeing heaven and hell at the same time.

·
Registered
230 Posts
That blue is a nice lookin bike for sure:thumbsup:
As you ride the bike more the muscles you are useing will get stronger and it will become less uncomfortable. I found that riding it around "slow" in the lower rpm range during the break-in period was the hardest on my wrists. Now that you can open it up a little the pull of the bike and a little wind holding you up will make it more enjoyable. And as stated already keep you stomach muscles tight and use that core strength.

"I saw a flash of Heaven and a flash of hell in the same instant":lol: dude thats awsome!

Don't you love how the power comes on at 6000rpm then REALLY f#%*ing comes on at 8000rmp all the way up till you have a spiritual epiphony.

·
Registered
641 Posts
ok, i bought my bike '08 3 months ago and have some additional thoughts for you.

Starting out, I think you'll find a hotbodies MGP growler exhaust like the one in my avatar very satisfying both in price and in sound. I got mine from www.motorcycle-superstore.com for $249 shipped. They have a different promotion right now, so it'd be $269, but then you'd get a credit for $40 off your next purchase. THe cat and especially the boom box do a great job of silencing the exhaust note. I will say that if you ever plan on changing the mid-pipe however, you wil want a longer canister. Without the boom box, a smaller canister won't get things quiet enough IMO. I personally find my exhaust still a bit too quiet, but better to err on that side of things =)

Also, I recommend a -1/+2 gearing change, after which you'll want a speedohealer as your speedo WILL be 20% off! And even 14% off with just a -1 front sprocket change. Check into an X-TRE to get rid of the timing retard restriction which I have. And if you're a wheelie fiend or aggresive rider, I'd recommend having your steering damper re-valved by Dan Kyle. Cost just under $100 and gets your OEM Ohlins performing like a real one.

That should be it. All my suggestions address the weak points of the bike. After that, you can just ride it like me, or keep on going on the quest for more power or customization.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Good write up. For the more blue, try the ProGrip blue wheel tape. It really makes the blue pop IMO. When that motor breaks in, I think around 2000, HOLD ON!!!!!!!! Congrats on the purchase.

·
Registered
241 Posts
lmfao

great review btw on the exhaust i would deffinatly fo with dual two brothers if you are not looking for an increase in power if i had a recorder or something i would let you hear mine. It sounds clean clear and monsterous. Perhaps a quick little phone call is required. When i fire my bike up next to stretched busas and stretched decked out r1s and gsxrs everyone shuts up and looks .I have never been more satisfied with an exhaust system in my life otherwise great review and a very sexy bike if i do say so myself, lots of luck with her, and WELCOME!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
nice, what did the dealer hit you up for out the door after all the fees?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I noticed your looking for some HELI bars, some guys have actually flipped the clip-ons upside down and gotten the same effect for free. There is a link on here somewhere for it, wish I had saved it to offer up for ya! Congrats on the bike, it only gets better after break in.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Again, thanks for the advice and thoughts.

Yep, heaven and hell both! I just call it as I see it. :thumbsup: The acceleration is truly mind numbing. I can't imagine it being faster!
My GPZ1100 is definitely fast, but it's only fast, I think it would keep up with the 10R until 8000rpm.
The 10R splits open the space-time continuum after 8000.

I think I will get more used to the position, riding to work yesterday didn't seem to bother me as badly as before. Time will tell.

I think the Growler sounds kinda cool, but I'm not sure if that's the sound I'm going for (I've only heard it on Youtube, but that's close enough I think). The volume should be about right I think. What I'm going to do first is pull off the stock can and run it like that just to see how loud that is. That'll give me more of an idea of what I want to install before or after that.

No thanks on the gearing change, I feel that the factory gearing is perfect. From reading up before I got it I was expecting to have to slip the clutch like mad to pull off in first, but I find it mostly effortless. The torque takes care of it very well. I'm coming from a bike that's 150lbs heavier, mind you.
I'm really not currently interested in power mods, I don't see the need or usefulness in more. ;)

On the damper, that's something I forgot to mention in the OP. I've never experienced one before, and always wondered how it would affect normal steering effort. I've played with mine, and it's like I thought it'd be. At full soft it feels like there isn't anything there, but at full hard it requires much more effort to turn, which I don't like. That's not good considering that everyone says it still does nothing for the head shake at full-tilt (which I haven't seen yet). I think it needs to have more high-speed damping, but less low-speed damping (speed of damper movement, not the bike). Does re-valving take care of both of these?

Definitely on the rimstripes! Though, I was thinking of Tapeworks, I've heard better things about them, and there recommended blue seems to match the stock very well. I plan on doing this soon also, until I can paint the wheels too. :thumbsup:
That's all I want, a full blue body and wheels, but everything else will stay black. I don't think it will be overdone at all.

I don't care for the Two Brothers exhaust at all... just not my preference.

Cross-eyed cat was the first thing I thought of when I saw the '08! I think cross-eyed cats look kinda neat so that works for me. :thumbsup:

Not sure if 'out the door' counts tag/title/tax? I don't think it does, but I'll give the before and after T/T/T.
$8,892 after dealer fees, but $9,793 total after everything Maryland officially rapes me with as well, which is a lot.

Flipping the clip-ons upside-down? Hmm, I'll have to search for that thread. Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Welcome to the land of Gen 3, it is awesome. On setting up the suspension don't just look it up on the internet. I put almost a whole day in with my brother helping to get it just right. Awesome bike congrats

·
Registered
641 Posts
Well if you can leave the OEM gearing alone than you're a better man than me. I did feel like a lot of clutch slippage was necessary. My initial impressions were a lot like yours. But very quickly, as soon as I cam down to earth, I realized some of the bike "flaws". You really can't go wrong with a 16t front sprocket for $20. If you didn't like it, you could swap it right back out. Make sure you have access to an air gun though! The X-TRE was less noticeable to me off the bat, but does make a difference, and does not make the bike unrideable or anything. Don't let the 'Growler' name scare you. Again, running it in concert with the boom box, it's actually too quiet for me. When I put added the Akrapovoc link pipe to the growler however, it was too loud for me. So I took off the link pipe and put the boom box back on. The steering damper in stock form was something I talked myself into living with for a few weeks until I got a nasty headshake going about 100. I promptly took it off and sent it away for a revalve. Your speedo is currently 6% off at the moment. Certainly liveable, but with any gear change, you will want to get a speedo healer. So, I guess figure in $110 with the $20 sprocket price. And if you don't do the work yourself on both, things could go upwards of $200.

I'm just reiterating what I posted the other day. Certainly glad you like the bike in it's stock form. I'm just recommending you withhold judgement until you've had a little more seat time. I need to go back and read my post on my first impressions =)

Oh, and the rear suspension I found to be way too harsh for my 150lb body. I went an additional half turn out or so on both the low and high speed compression damping on the rear shock, and might have taken a bit out of the rebound as well, can't remember. But anyway, dialing out some compression damping in the rear changed my mind about the bike's suspension. I was thinking I wasn't going to be able to keep it at first since I have back trouble. I also dailed out a click or two in front softening it up just a bit. I'm not getting the knee down anymore at this stage in my life, so I'm not going to be doing any suspension work. I'm mostly a straightliner going back and forth to see my wife for lunch, or cruising along the coast. My twisty rides at most are about 6/10th's pace.

·
Cross-Eyed Cat
339 Posts
Cross-eyed cat was the first thing I thought of when I saw the '08! I think cross-eyed cats look kinda neat so that works for me. :thumbsup:
Yeah...me too, take a look at the line above my avatar...
<<<----------------------

1 - 20 of 33 Posts