Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a reason why most of them come pre-drilled for safety wire...

I had one installed on my Gen4 for a few thousand miles with no issues....until one day I noticed some oil on my bike. The cap had loosened up and a small bit of oil had seeped out as I was riding. I tightened it back up and kept riding. The next day I bought some safety wire pliers, a spool of wire, and it's been wired ever since.

I recently did some work on the bike that required me to remove the filler cap and I ended up not safety wiring it. Instead, I decided to put if off till the next day. I tightened the cap back on and figured it would be fine for 1 day of riding. Wrong.

Some friends and I were on a Sunday ride and opening it up down a long straight on our route. Not only did the cap loosen up, but it came out completely, and smashed through my friends windscreen! (he didn't even know until someone pointed it out after we stopped)

Anyways, I am very grateful that it happened where it did....on a long straight. Soon after it fell out, we stopped at an intersecting road to wait for the rest of the group. A friend parked behind me got my attention and pointed to my bike. I looked down and saw oil burning off my exhaust pipe, oil soaked on the rear tire, and oil all over my brand new Akra Ti link pipe! Frack!

A friend went back down the road and luckily found the gold cap laying on the yellow line in the middle of the road. We tightened it back on and zip tied it for good measure (it came loose after some more riding, but the zip tie kept it in place)

After the ride, first thing I did when I got back was reinstall OEM filler cap. I drilled a hole in it and safety wired it for good measure.

BLAH BLAH BLAH, cliff notes...be careful using alum filler caps, HIGHLY recommend using safety wire...it could save your life...lesson learned.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Honestly the more I hear and see with alloy fittings on bikes the more concerns I have,alluminium bolts going into my bikes frame and swing arm in less than 1 year have started to lock up!I hope ti does not have the same problem.Hey Dude horrible thought just crossed my mind and made the hair on my kneck stand up!just imagine IF that cap hit his visor

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
266 Posts
1) you better have paid for your buddy's windscreen
B. you added oil before continuing your ride?
III - I would use gasoline to remove the oil from the titanium. Don't use it on carbon fiber.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Dude horrible thought just crossed my mind and made the hair on my kneck stand up!just imagine IF that cap hit his visor
Trust me, I thought the same thing. I was lucky all around in this situation, and it will never happen again.

III - I would use gasoline to remove the oil from the titanium. Don't use it on carbon fiber.
I was willing to buy him a new screen but he didn't want me to.

I checked the oil level and I didn't really lose too much so I continued on. When I got back home I added the oil, which was hardly any at all.

Thanks for the tip, what about Diesel? Would that work as well?

·
Chairman of the Board
16,005 Posts
Already safety wired the track bike. Heading to the garage now to do the street bike. Never really considered it but better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
im sure he can make up his own mind when it comes to paying for his friends windscreen. and im sure the bike can stand to lose a bit of oil and still be drive-able. also i would use wd40 instead of gas, then orange clean to take off the wd. gas will remove the finish thats on the titanium from the factory. if there is any on them that is.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Damn that did some damage. Glad it did not hit him in the throat. I would try WD40 1st like mentioned above.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im sure he can make up his own mind when it comes to paying for his friends windscreen. and im sure the bike can stand to lose a bit of oil and still be drive-able. also i would use wd40 instead of gas, then orange clean to take off the wd. gas will remove the finish thats on the titanium from the factory. if there is any on them that is.
Agreed. Thanks for the tips!

Damn that did some damage. Glad it did not hit him in the throat. I would try WD40 1st like mentioned above.
I know, very lucky.

Thanks, will try it and see.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i had an aluminium oil fill cap on my gen4 and on a first ride i lost it so i drilled the oem and safety wired.glad you ok
So I'm not the only one...hopefully no windscreens or riders were harmed during the process!

Thanks

·
Registered
636 Posts
How exactly do you guys safety wire the oil cap? Mine has loosened but never came off.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How exactly do you guys safety wire the oil cap? Mine has loosened but never came off.
The oil filler cap I bought came with this little metal bracket you see in the picture. You could just drill a hole in that clutch cover bolt and get the same effect. I obviously went the easy route. Also, my Pro Bolt pre-drilled Ti oil drain plug is safety wired to a SS hose clamp that I attached at the base of my oil filter. They keep each other from loosening up.

Attachments

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's a photo of the oil drain plug and filter. Note: the oil has been cleaned off the pan once I realized how bad it looked after I took that photo, it's from when the oil leaked out.

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1393591445.899796.jpg

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
Here is a tip or a little bit of info.

1. Aluminum will "self weld" (the technical term is "galling") If the aluminum is very clean and it's an aluminum to aluminum contact, if any pressure or heat is applied, you will have a single piece. This is the every day condition or aluminum fastners. This also happens with stainless steel, and Titanium but as has been said, it has to be a very clean metal to metal contact... sooooo

2. always use assembly lube with installing aluminum into aluminum parts or titanium into titanium ... but the problem with assembly lube is that it is designed to stay fluid and slippery... forever. SOOOOOO

3. you need to lock wire any part that has been assembly lubed and isn't locked in some way.

damn that is some frickin luck, I took a rock off a cement truck in the visor a year ago, if I didn't have a full face helmet... I'd be dead or a veggi.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts