Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here is my deal.

I'm gonna get a Zizzer-10r. Why, plain and simple...in SoCal, R's, Gixxer's and CBR's rule the roost....the Zizzer is a distant 4th. So basically, the dealers are sitting on tons of 07 and 08 leftovers. They are averaging at least 1K below above mention models.

Anyways, hard times are forcing dealers to get rid of inventory (this goes for all brands, probably all over the country).

I'm looking at a grand difference between the 07 and 08. My question to the ZX-10r experts here, whats the Pros/Cons between the two year models?

To me, looks are a mute point.... I personally think ALL sport bikes look great (some are in a different category...ie Duc999).

And both year models have killer engines...so both will easily add points to my record or get me in jail again.

My concerns are, reliability, handling, user-friendliness, year related isses.

Please offer any inputs.

Thanks guys.

I have worked near Kawi's US HQ for many many years...just never have had the pleasure of owning one. (funny thing is, I live near Yammi US HQ...go figure!!!)

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
The 08 is faster and better looking than the slow and not so pretty 07.

·
Registered
615 Posts
:lol::crackup:

I don't know about all that....but If I could do it all over again, I would have waited a little longer so that I could have bought an 08.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
I'd say pick which bike you like the most, regardless of money. I go by feel, the 06/07 second gen. feels so big to me compared to my 08/09 zx10r. The power is a little better on the 08 model but technically the 07 weighs less.(if you dont believe me on the weight check go see it for your selves) Either way if money is tight get a 07 but if its not a big deal pick up a 08. What ever floats your boat, either way they both say kawasaki.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
get the 08. and since when in so cal are 10r's a distant fourth? when i am riding the mountain there is always more fast guys on kawi's than any other make. obviously most slow and dangerous riders are mounted on on something factory color blue and white.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Well nothing looks as good as Duc, well maybe the MV but I say go with the 08. Mine is a great bike and fits me well. (5'10)My only real bitch is the buzzyness in the handle bars on longer rides. My 999 NEVER felt like that and my GSXR was not as bad as the kawi. If I was to buy a used bike I would get a 06 GSXR1000. My last one I had for a year and it was a great bike and was a bit more comfy then this one. I'm going to get slamed on this but the GSXR was a better over all bike IMO.

·
5,932 Posts
haha, had a 08cbr1000rr and 08gsxr1000 last year and my honda was great for the track and mid-range, where my gsxr was my strip bike, dropped and lowered. But I hated my honda so I got rid of it, and shortly after sold my gsxr to a friend. I loved my gsxr dont get me wrong but I just couldnt handle that bike the way I'd like to, sounds weird but the bike was shit intell you had the rpm's in the high 8000's on it. So I sold her and just rode the 954rr for a little and bought a 09 zx10r which puts my gsxr and honda to shame, I cant agree with you on the gsxr thing, my kawasaki is a totally different and nicer bike all around then my suzuki last year.

·
Registered
23,742 Posts
haha, had a 08cbr1000rr and 08gsxr1000 last year and my honda was great for the track and mid-range, where my gsxr was my strip bike, dropped and lowered. But I hated my honda so I got rid of it, and shortly after sold my gsxr to a friend. I loved my gsxr dont get me wrong but I just couldnt handle that bike the way I'd like to, sounds weird but the bike was shit intell you had the rpm's in the high 8000's on it. So I sold her and just rode the 954rr for a little and bought a 09 zx10r which puts my gsxr and honda to shame, I cant agree with you on the gsxr thing, my kawasaki is a totally different and nicer bike all around then my suzuki last year.
I have already been in battles on the Top End of the Strip with ZX14s, Busas when they are at their Power Peak and trying get away against my Old 10R....I never worry about 1K Gixxers THEY ARE NO BETTER. :headshake:wink::lol:

PS...anyone that knows a 1st Gen knows it ALSO WAKES UP AT 8000RPMS where you should be in a dragrace. :wink:

·
5,932 Posts
yeah never owned a 1st gen, this is my third kawasaki over the years. I was a big honda fan for a minute but I doubt I go back to anything other then kawasaki for a while. Yeah my suzuki was crap, even with gearing. I should say at least 8000rpms if not more, I usually launch at about 8-9200rpms, no need for anymore in my mind if you know how to play with the clutch right. I wouldnt worry about any 08gsxrs though, my 09zx10 is def. a faster bike stock, and with my mods so far it moves the suzuki to the trash for good haha

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I think you get a gen 3 if you can afford one you can't go wrong with either one just like jasonc32amg

·
Registered
356 Posts
The best thing about the 08 vs. the 07/05 is the 08 handles way better and has wayyyy better brakes.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Ok, bub. Bring your bug-looking '08 against me and my '06, either on the street or the track and we'll see about slow. You just don't know...

Either way you go, there are no cons, it's still a Kawi 10R. Go with what you prefer.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Gen 1 , Gen 2 or Gen 3,, you can't go wrong. I have a Gen 2 and love it to death, but I would love to have a Gen 3 and would never turn down a Gen 1.

I hope that helps you pick which one you want :lol:

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I love my 07, I'm 6'5 265 so I like the larger appearance. It fits me better, I've got race baffles, cat eliminator, pc3 with a undynoed map and I'm -1+1. I race my buddy on his 06 gixxer with cams and a bunch of other garbage(he's 180) we go from 2nd at 50 mph to 150mph. I always jump on him and by the end I'm only at most 1 bike behind. Going off our size and mod differences I'm pretty happy about that and I'd say that proves the 07 ain't slow. I like the 08 and I'd love to own one AS WELL, but my 07 is awesome, I'm 15000 miles into it and it gets better every ride, and there's plenty of parts to make it look how you want. Good luck man

·
Registered
536 Posts
My take on the two. Ridden both, on and off the track.

07-felt way to low to the ground, stock brakes were horrible, In fact after ridding it on the track I said I was never going to own a zx10r.

08- I rode every other 1k (except honda) I didn't like them at all. Figured I would go ahead and see what the new gen of zx10r had to offer. Stock felt much better, I am a little over 6'4 and the rear sets stock coming from my 954 felt so tall. The bike felt tall. It seemed like a huge improvement over the 06/07.

BUT then again, if you get a chance go ride each of them, every one is different.

·
5,932 Posts
I couldnt agree more with that statement, everything with me is about feel. I have had the chance to ride a couple different 2nd gens. and they felt horrible compared to a 08 in just about every aspect of the bike.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I couldnt agree more with that statement, everything with me is about feel. I have had the chance to ride a couple different 2nd gens. and they felt horrible compared to a 08 in just about every aspect of the bike.

Well, they do say the 08/09 is an easier bike for a bad rider to ride good on.:crackup: I'm just kidding. I plan on selling my 07 6 and getting an 08 or 09, I can't wait, it's got to new better bike, its been totally redesigned and other than yamaha, these companys don't usually make their bikes worse. I'd get the 08 but for the price the 07 is awesome, just pick up some new calipers

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have / had both the 06/07 model and the 08/09 model and here is what I felt is the difference:

06/07 ZX10R

Pros:
1. Looks: Personally I loved the looks as I had the 05 ZX6R and it was the basis for the 06/07 10R (looks wise). It came with limited edition Akrapovic exhausts which was a major selling point to get past those ugly stocks. (I still have mine as decoration in my living room after I left my 06/07 10R!!!). Some die hard 04/05 10R fans hated the "bulbous" 06/07 version - it wasn't aggressive enough and looked pudgy in the looks department. So it's a very personal thing. I had mine in titanium silver and absolutely loved it.

2. Comfort: By comparison it is a more comfy bike than the 04/05 and the 08/09. The 04/05 was criticised for being too stiff and uncomfy so they softned the 2nd gen up a bit.

3. Handling: Now this is a tricky one. My first one was stolen just after I broke it in, so I never got a chance to push it to its limits, but the second one I had got pushed real good at Brands Hatch and Nurburgring tracks. In both cases I had a bad case of chatter coming in hard into the turns. It would start with hard braking and later on would come on even at the onset of braking. I was never able to solve this problem as I was not very good with suspension settings at the time and sinse it only happened braking from speeds of 200kph+ into hard corners, no mechanic was ever able to recreat it to understand the problem properly. Other than that I found it a very good bike and very stable and constant mid corner, and accelerated beautifully out of the corners. Speed damper was enough for me to handle any wobbles as well. The chasis always felt solid and never showed any signs of over stress and never felt too stiff in the turns either.

4. Gearing: I prefered the gearing on the 2nd gen...second gear had more snap, torque and response to it.

5. Power: Always the strongest point of any gen 10R

6. Dials, speedo, bits and pieces, construction, etc.: Gorgeous speedo, best in the class IMO (maybe KTM RC8, or 1198S is better, maybe), juicy yoke, forks, suspension dials, swing arm etc. Very high quality construction. IMO a class above Rs, Gsxrs, and Blades!

Cons:
1. Braking: This may have been the cause of the chatter coming into the corners and sinse then I have not heard good things about the 2nd gen brakes. Brakes also faded markedly through a track day...from 2 finger braking to full ham handed braking by 2pm! Lost a lot of confidence.

2. Tires: Stock Dunlops are crap...wear down too quick, and feel a bit vague diving into turns for me.

08/09 ZX10R

Pros:
1. Looks: a return to 1st gen inspired looks pleased a lot of kwak lovers...not me...but eventually I came around to love it. I was upset titanium silver was gone as a colour option too, and hated the new exhuast with a crazy zeal!!! But I picked it up in black, got a stubby GP style M4 exhaust and a sexy undertail to cure that problem. It may involve a little spending depending on your taste. But the M4 is well priced!! Black also hid the slightly "cross eyed owl" look of the front head lights some complained of. In green its a bit more pronounced. But of of the things I loved over the previous gen was the sweet line from the swing arm up through the sexy beefy frame!

2. Handling: Felt amazing right out of the box, diving very well into the turns but a tad unsteady on hard hard braking. But once I had it set up to my weight (200lbs, up from the stock 145 lbs setup), It felt hard to turn if riding it softly but a huge inprovement when braking hard and turning under hard braking into a corner. Keep in mind I asked it to be set up for the track regardless of the feel on the street. That being said, the new setup also made the very bumpy roads in my town seem less harsh! It felt very rigid stock, but was improved greatly with the new set up, though I also didnt mind it too much before. But now I just have to be more bossy with it when I'm coming into a turn...if I go in to softly it tends to run wide. Anyways this can all be adjusted. Handling is improved from previous version and I get a lot of feedback from the back end when I get a bit of tire spin up...I also know whats happening back there. Front feels solid all the time. The ride is noticebly less comfy though! It feels more aggressive and chizzled compared to the 2nd gen. I took the 2nd gen to Venice from London with the wife on the back (stopping every hour to shake out the numb hands and feet). I'm not sure I could do the same with this one. The seat for one is quite rigid, but I think the pillion seat is a tad better. Riding position is also more race orientated...higher foot pegs I feel.

3. Brakes are much much improved! I haven't experienced anywhere near as much fading. I even noticed fading on the 2nd gen on long commutes in the city on hot days (30C+). Don't notice that anymore! Plently of stopping power...I feel better than my buddy's 1198s Brembos IMO.

4. Finish and parts: Amazing parts, speedo, suspension settings, yoke etc. Amazing finish and attention to detail as previous versions...again best in class.

5. Power: again, it's what kwak lovers have come to love and the others make excuses for not having (ahem cross plank, ahem 200 extra cc and S spec upgrades- ahem 1198S). Smooth delivery, smooth power...no torque spikes or boggy patches in the powerband. Drives sensibly under 5000rpm (tame), and fierce over 6000rpm. Almost like 2 bikes, depending on my mood I ride as I wish. If you keep it under 6000rpm with short shifts the smooth clutch helps you battle traffic jams with little fatique or grief and keep fuel consumption down. The choice is yours. This was true for the 2nd gen also by the way.

6. Uniqueness: around these parts (Toronto) more Blades, R1s, old Gsxrs and DUKES!!! on the road than 10Rs. Makes me feel like a connoisseur, not a pose jockey!

7. Price: Extreeeeeeeeeeeme value for money!!!

8. Tires: Stock Perelli corsa 3s are my fav!!! no need to dump money on new tires right out of the box!

Cons:
1. Gearing: I don't like the weaker feel of 2nd gear compared to the previous gen. But a clutch blip can solve this easily.

2. Aerodynamics are slightly, slightly less as effective of the previous bulbous styling. Mostly felt on the chest and shoulders...not legs.

All around the latest gen is better though I have a deep deep fondness for the 2nd gen. Once you have ridden the 3rd gen you will notice the difference and most likely styling will be your biggest issue. But that being said, you shouldnt find anything lacking with the 2nd gen, unless you hit that problem with the brakes I mentioned...which I am uncertain if that was noticed by all 2nd gen riders.

I have had a chance to ride all its competition and for the price it is theeeeee best by far. If equally priced with the rest I would say it is up to riding and aesthetics preference. IMO if it were priced the same as the rest I would get the 3rd gen 10R hands down! If the 1198s were also priced the same I might even take the 10R over that, cause well if the Duke were priced the same it would lose its "Ferrari" status and just be a fiddly, difficult, uncomfy, under powered, and common V-twin with a little torquey fun factor but not much else. If I could get an 1198S on some secret "only for me special price, the same as the rest" then only this could sway me away from the 10R on sheer sex and poser value alone...though deep down I would prefer the ride of the 10R better!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts