Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious how do you guys position your right hand so that the brake lever is always covered with 2 or more fingers and the wrist isn't too far rearward that you inadvertently roll on the throttle. Initially I adjusted the lever so that it was parallel to the ground but I have found and read that this would put a lot of stress on the wrist. So I rotated the lever down to its original position and adjusted the lever to the second or so position so my short fingers can reach. Would some aftermarket levers help? Do most aftermarket levers provide better ergonomics than oem?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well first off (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) but that is a bad habit to get into. i.e. covering the break while you ride. If you were to attend a motorcycle riding class the instructor would let you know that you are doing just that.... covering the break.
I can only assume that this is a not good to do because you may accidently twist the throttle while you are going for the break.
Again if this is wrong let me know so I can fix myself.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Well first off (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) but that is a bad habit to get into. i.e. covering the break while you ride. If you were to attend a motorcycle riding class the instructor would let you know that you are doing just that.... covering the break.
I can only assume that this is a not good to do because you may accidently twist the throttle while you are going for the break.
Again if this is wrong let me know so I can fix myself.
I remember specifically back in the day that's what they told me, and it is the word i pass onto other squids...

howeva i second-guess myself on it sometimes, when i see some guys racin' pretty hard (obviously more experienced than me) who are keeping at least a couple fingers on the brake... :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I remember specifically back in the day that's what they told me, and it is the word i pass onto other squids...

howeva i second-guess myself on it sometimes, when i see some guys racin' pretty hard (obviously more experienced than me) who are keeping at least a couple fingers on the brake... :dontknow:
I never cover the brake.

I have the lever rotated down a little just to help make sure i close the throttle completely whenever i do get on the binders.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
True. But i still don't cover the brake on the street, i may slow down a little and be cautious around intersections but i think covering the brake is a bad idea. A panic reaction could result in bad things like grabbing too much front brake.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I figured that if you cover the front brake with 2 fingers then your reaction time in a panic situation is quicker and your less likely to yank on the front brake lever.

·
Registered
754 Posts
True. But i still don't cover the brake on the street, i may slow down a little and be cautious around intersections but i think covering the brake is a bad idea. A panic reaction could result in bad things like grabbing too much front brake.
That is what we teach in the MSF classes - to NOT cover the front brake. Last thing we want (although it happens) is someone panics and grabs a fistful of front brake and washes out the front end.

That said, however, I have read quite a few advanced riding techniques - especially for the street - that talk about the reduction in reaction time should you need to stop suddenly. I think that with riding experience comes the mental and physical capacity to not panic and lock up the front brake. I always ride with my right index finger on the brake lever and will add my middle finger for aggressive riding when I want more lever pressure. I also keep the middle and ring finger of my left hand on the clutch lever.

Starting doing this about 9 years ago and it's just as natural as sitting on the seat. Having the finger on the front brake lever allows me to have very accurate control on the brakes when setting up for a curve, etc. I can still manipulate the throttle while starting to brake.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
for emergency braking it doesn't matter where the throttle is, because i have two fingers on the clutch at all times, so as soon as the front brake goes on hard, my clutch is pulled in

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I just grab the brake as I need it, otherwise, i ride like the video posted above.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I figured that if you cover the front brake with 2 fingers then your reaction time in a panic situation is quicker and your less likely to yank on the front brake lever.
You're probably right, everyone's got opinions, so do what you're most comfortable with. On the street, in traffic situations, I cover the brake (meaning resting 1 or 2 fingers ON TOP of lever). On the track I don't feel it's needed. You're probably not going to brake any harder in an emergency covered or not, but that split second saved by not moving fingers to brake could be a life saver. As far as positioning goes, just make it comfortable for yourself. I can't say what is being taught now, but when I started riding (15 years ago), that is what most safety instructors were preaching, and it still makes sense to me today.

·
Registered
411 Posts
great video - thanks...

A quick 'opinionated' question (as I imagine every1 will feel a little differently)... Is only using 1 or 2 fingers, compared to using all 4, on the brake/clutch simply a comfort thing?? How many use what??

I don't think i really noticed it until just now, but cruisin around i'll have a couple on, but when riding harder, and preparing for hard braking, I think I tend to use all 4...?? What about everyone else...?

(include reasons, if you can pull them out of your subconscious - cos 2b honest I think most of us wouldn't even think about it when we do it) :dontknow:

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,739 Posts
great video - thanks...

A quick 'opinionated' question (as I imagine every1 will feel a little differently)... Is only using 1 or 2 fingers, compared to using all 4, on the brake/clutch simply a comfort thing?? How many use what??

I don't think i really noticed it until just now, but cruisin around i'll have a couple on, but when riding harder, and preparing for hard braking, I think I tend to use all 4...?? What about everyone else...?

(include reasons, if you can pull them out of your subconscious - cos 2b honest I think most of us wouldn't even think about it when we do it) :dontknow:

I think this depends on the rider.
How many fingers you need depends on how comfortable you are.

Of course, a small guy with small fingers would need more to pull it.
A bigger dude with long and beefy fingers would only need a few.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't cover the brake, can't say I've tried it so I can't comment there much, but I feel perfectly comfortable with my reaction times as is. When coming up on any possible bad situation, I'm mentally thinking about braking to get ready for it.

As for the number of fingers, I've always used only two. I think it's because I feel much more in control when I can hold the grip and brake at the same time. I've done it this way from the beginning (on dirtbikes too), never thought about using all 4 until I heard it mentioned recently.
I'm not a big guy (5'8" and 160lbs), and I've never had a problem pulling the brake hard enough. I don't figure anyone would have a problem pulling the brake with two fingers on a ZX-10R! (At least a Gen III, haven't ridden the others).

·
Registered
813 Posts
Not one person derailed this, until now, wondering about all this talk regarding hand position and number of fingers. Even after Lucky 10r was talking about chubby fingers. I guess I just don't have the self-control that some people have.........Now re-read some people's comments for a little humor...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Not one person derailed this, until now, wondering about all this talk regarding hand position and number of fingers. Even after Lucky 10r was talking about chubby fingers. I guess I just don't have the self-control that some people have.........Now re-read some people's comments for a little humor...
sad :rolleyes: :smile:

·
Registered
754 Posts
great video - thanks...

The MSF teaches four fingers on the brake lever for a couple of reasons: 1) they want the new rider to have better control over the front brake lever by using all four fingers to do a firm, progressive stop. 2) using all four fingers, separates the throttle action from the braking action - especially for a new rider who doesn't quite get that you can grip the throttle between your thumb and the webbing part of your hand to you index finger. We teach the "roll off the throttle and reach with four fingers to the front brake lever" method.

Covering with one finger on top of the lever is so natural for me now that I do it not only in urban downtown areas where hazards are more likely, but even when blitzing back roads or track days. It doesn't hinder my riding by any means and I can be slowing for a corner by rolling off the throttle and starting to apply some front brake at the same time. Smoothness.

Everybody will find what works for them.

·
Registered
754 Posts
When coming up on any possible bad situation, I'm mentally thinking about braking to get ready for it.

If we all knew when the proverbial feces was going to hit the air-oscillating device, there would never be any accidents! I just feel more secure covering the brake when you never know who's going to pull out/turn in front of you, or what's around the next corner.... :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts