Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Guys,

I want to sare my project with you guys also to learn more about the zx10r engine where to look out for what the weak points are.

A few years ago i have build a subaru vivio with a zx10r engine gen 1, i have sold it but im buying it back!

I have a question about the zx10r engine are there points that i need to check on the gen 1?

And is the gen 1 the right choise? It have 175hp stock i know that the newer gen have 188hp of more. Do i need to put a newer gen motor in for more power or can i easy get more hp out the gen 1?
Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Guys that pop up on here with 10R in car questions normally don't get reactions as most members found the experience painful, guys who have non starting motors and all that shite forget to mention things that would have been really helpful for contributors. To give you an idea of what your asking well things that work on a10R engine in a bike probably are non relevant to a 10R engine in a car. Example fit a full race system, but hayy you don't have conventional exhaust in car application, a better are filter probably does didly squat without ram air. Get a better tune? has your car ever been on dyno? that is some dyno giving those numbers for a stock m9tor or is that guesstimate crank HP. A later Gen engine won't bolt in to the custom engine mount points in your car! If you want more power fit a larger capacity motor such as ZZR1400 or a Busa motor, cars are heavier than bikes the larger capacity torque will give a car more real race capability than a built 10R engine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys that pop up on here with 10R in car questions normally don't get reactions as most members found the experience painful, guys who have non starting motors and all that shite forget to mention things that would have been really helpful for contributors. To give you an idea of what your asking well things that work on a10R engine in a bike probably are non relevant to a 10R engine in a car. Example fit a full race system, but hayy you don't have conventional exhaust in car application, a better are filter probably does didly squat without ram air. Get a better tune? has your car ever been on dyno? that is some dyno giving those numbers for a stock m9tor or is that guesstimate crank HP. A later Gen engine won't bolt in to the custom engine mount points in your car! If you want more power fit a larger capacity motor such as ZZR1400 or a Busa motor, cars are heavier than bikes the larger capacity torque will give a car more real race capability than a built 10R engine.

Hello,

Thanks for the reaction. I'm happy about the torq the engine does a really good job. I have a power commander with ignition module but with a stock map for now.

I'm just wondering if the Gen 1 motor can be tuned till it got the same hp as a stock newer one? Gen 2 and 3 got 188hp right?

And I want to know what the weak points are. I know that the clutch basket is a weak point, that is fixed now.

Regards

Antoni

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,786 Posts
Hey, that's a pretty cool project!

To answer your question, nope. The Gen 2 and Gen 3 aren't anywhere close to 188hp. Not sure where you saw those numbers, but the Gen 1 is in the upper 150s, the Gen 2/3 raise that into the upper 160 range, while the Gen 4/5 are in the 170-180 range. The later Gen 5 and 6s are in the 190s. Basically, there's no way to tune a Gen 1 to those levels. You're limited by the injectors and the other internal components. You can't add or subtract fuel and ignition timing to overcome the differences in the mechanical components. It is what it is for the Gen 1. You'd have to start looking more at a motor swap if you've got the Gen 1 motor topped out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, that's a pretty cool project!

To answer your question, nope. The Gen 2 and Gen 3 aren't anywhere close to 188hp. Not sure where you saw those numbers, but the Gen 1 is in the upper 150s, the Gen 2/3 raise that into the upper 160 range, while the Gen 4/5 are in the 170-180 range. The later Gen 5 and 6s are in the 190s. Basically, there's no way to tune a Gen 1 to those levels. You're limited by the injectors and the other internal components. You can't add or subtract fuel and ignition timing to overcome the differences in the mechanical components. It is what it is for the Gen 1. You'd have to start looking more at a motor swap if you've got the Gen 1 motor topped out.
Hello thank you!

I got those number via Google and then via a website that are number not at the rear wheel I think...

That 190hp is dat with ram air?

I have a power commander with ign module how much hp can I get out it?

Can I replace components tho make it faster?

I'm now taking the engine out to check everything

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,786 Posts
Hello thank you!

I got those number via Google and then via a website that are number not at the rear wheel I think...

That 190hp is dat with ram air?

I have a power commander with ign module how much hp can I get out it?

Can I replace components tho make it faster?

I'm now taking the engine out to check everything
Yeah, google ain't the best source of information. Especially since most of those numbers are shown at the crank, not the rear wheel. Getting up to 190 with ram air isn't even even possible. Ram air isn't that effective. That 175hp you're claiming is at the crank. In a bike, put that on a dyno and you'll see in the mid to upper 150s at the rear wheel. That's it.

As far as changing out internal components for more power, anything is possible. But if you're talking about bolt-on swapping parts then no. You'd really have to look into lightening and balancing the crank itself, a valve job with machining and regrinding the valve pockets, new throttlebody and fuel injectors, lighter weight pistons, etc. With just a power commander and ignition module, you'd be lucky to see 160hp if it were in a bike. Somewhere in the 2-5 HP range for an increase in terms of that. Because you have it in a car with more mechanical losses in the drive-line, you're just can't magically get more out of it from fueling alone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts