Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, well about 2 weekends ago I picked up the mod TREYZX10r's bike. He was pretty sure the generator was going out on it. So I picked one up locally from a buddy in town who had a spare out of a 05 to swap back in. I got to tear into the bike today (work was canceled) so I began the work I was gunna do on the bike... I'm actually bartering out the work with him to paint the plastics of my 300mm tire busa. Anyways the plan for his bike is going to be, repair generator, do a velocity ported head with degreed cams and tune her in.

Anyways here's some pics. BTW I cant thank TREY enough for shutting the bike off since he heard it was whining a lil more than normal, saved both of us from a lot of time and money lol.....

Bodywork Stripped off her

Removed Radiator and throttle bodies

Pile-o-stuff

Ready to remove head (has an obvious valve cover leak)

more dirty engine from bad valve cover gasket

Everything down to the block removed (cylinders look to be in GREAT SHAPE)

GENERATOR FAILURE PICTURES:violent5:

We'll the new generator is in, had the same gears on it so was a drop in app. removed the clutch cover so I could align the gears and tap the generator in. All that was needed to be done on that side was to remove the left side engine covers, the water pump to block hose and block inlet, the starter and then the generator slides right out. So now shes mint :thumbsup:

I am awaiting the thin head gasket and I Was supposed to drop the head off to get decked but wound up running outta time so I just gotta have them do that but after thats done, just have to assemble head, shim the valves to the cams and this bad boy can go on there

I'll keep ya'll posted on the progress as of now just awaiting a head gasket :cool:

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Nice work man! I didnt realize you traveled as much as you do to work on peoples bikes... :thumbsup:

·
La Flama Blanca
7,720 Posts
Great work and great pics Garth.

I got a bad bad feeling it's just a matter of time befoer the majority of 04's will go through this. I know Blue will say different, but I think he knows it's coming too!

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:thumbsup:lookin great Garth, looks like I shut it down just in time.I'll post up some pics of the Busa repaint this weekend
sounds good bud :thumbsup: I'll just be awaiting the head gasket to come in and we'll be all back together, the new generator is in and everything so I just gotta throw the new head back on once that gasket comes in. I think I'ma order a few to keep on hand lol...

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Nice work as always Garth!!!.you guys do business the way I like to sometimes shared help and abilities are better than money itself!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Another one gets the treatment bud :thumbsup:
These generators and some gears are the weak points of the 04's...

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Great work and great pics Garth.

I got a bad bad feeling it's just a matter of time befoer the majority of 04's will go through this. I know Blue will say different, but I think he knows it's coming too!
Negative Ghost Rider.....my bike was made on Wednesday and it's Bloo :1848::cool:

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts
I'm at roughly 57,000 km on my 04, on the original alternator. Fingers crossed ...

·
Registered
792 Posts
I just turned 70K miles.. Did the generator swap last year, BEFORE it failed. Great for peace of mind.

I had one hell of a time installing the new one, though. What is the proper method to get both alternator gears onto the clutch gear? I had to poke and pry with various sharp objects....Whatever the right way is, I'm positive I did it the wrong way!

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I just turned 70K miles.. Did the generator swap last year, BEFORE it failed. Great for peace of mind.

I had one hell of a time installing the new one, though. What is the proper method to get both alternator gears onto the clutch gear? I had to poke and pry with various sharp objects....Whatever the right way is, I'm positive I did it the wrong way!
70k miles is very good mileage and no failure. I would think most would do the opposite and change the generator out in the beginning or low mileage. :dontknow:

I joke "my bike was made on Wednesday and it's Bloo" but really I would be happy to reach that mileage and no failure but reality is I am only averaging ~35k every 5yrs and a 05 engine replacement with low miles will be the route to go at this point if it grenades....or maybe a new 2011 ZX10R :idea:

I guess I am old school.....don't fix what ain't Broke. :wink:

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
70k miles is very good mileage and no failure. I would think most would do the opposite and change the generator out in the beginning or low mileage. :dontknow:

I joke "my bike was made on Wednesday and it's Bloo" but really I would be happy to reach that mileage and no failure but reality is I am only averaging ~35k every 5yrs and a 05 engine replacement with low miles will be the route to go at this point if it grenades....or maybe a new 2011 ZX10R :idea:

I guess I am old school.....don't fix what ain't Broke
. :wink:
:+1: Smart man :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Which gears are prone to failing? Trying to fix a ticking noise on my ten, had my local mech ride it (he helps diagnose for me and I do the work) but he can't figure this one out. The gennie has had new thrust washers as per 05 done and is a late 04 build so shouldn't have the gennie problem anyway.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts