Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
long story short.... I recently wrecked on my bike because my engine shut off for some reason in mid turn. Which scared the shit out of me causing my to go wide and bite the dust through a barbed fence and mailbox causing some major plastic damage and tweeked my forks, not to mention nice road rash. Kawasaki said it would be covered under warrenty if there is any codes in the ecm. The shop tryed pulling a code but was unsuccessful, they want the bike road worthy to test drive to see if any codes come up. They are allowing me to install my own forks to save on cost that might have to paid back to me. My question is there any way to make sure theres a code in that damn ecu when it returns so I can end this headache? I've been without my damn bike for almost a month dealing with these asshole at my local dealer. ( the only dealer around me)

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
if your motor shut off I'd think you'd over steer the bike to the inside not run wide through a turn?? how could you run wide with no power??

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
My Thoughts Exactly...unless The Surprise Made You Stand The Bike Up.....it Would Have To Be A Code That Shuts Off The Bike Also.....sounds Fishy Here....

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Sounds like the code they would be looking for would be the lean sensor that shuts off the fuel pump when bike is laid over.
Maybe that sensor was out of position or faulty and told the computer that bike was beyond 55degrees leaned (or whatever angle the sensor looks for) and shut the fuel off on you.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thing is it was long semi sharp turn, I was in second and doing about thirty, when the bike shut off I naturally looked down at my gaudes as I pulled the clutch in and I was caught off gaurd. Plus this was untraveled narrow road, I felt that if I was to turn suddenly to avoid the front tire from dropping off the road I would of jack knifed it.

me being caught of gaurd is what fucked me, believe me I've been kicking myself. But if the bike didn,t shut off I would'nt have a problem.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
KidCapri50 said:
where exact;y is the lean sensor located?

On the bracket that hold the back end of the tank. I suppose you could start your bike up with that bracket removed and then start to angle it until the bike shuts down, then you will no for sure. Also the code should clear when returned to normal position. I just never heard of a problem with those yet. :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
sure you didn't thumb the kill switch on accident?
the lean angle switch isn't going to just shut the bike off mid-corner..

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
KidCapri50 said:
I felt that if I was to turn suddenly to avoid the front tire from dropping off the road I would of jack knifed it.

How do you jack knife a bike? :dontknow:

·
Registered
350 Posts
the code will stay in the computer untill it's reset by the diognastic machine/hand held. i have a hand held code reseter by strap on tools,,, lol,,, snap on. i reset the codes on cars at work after an accident.. how was the gas level? start the bike up, and lean it overto see when it shuts off..

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
AtomAnt said:
the code will stay in the computer untill it's reset by the diognastic machine/hand held. i have a hand held code reseter by strap on tools,,, lol,,, snap on. i reset the codes on cars at work after an accident.. how was the gas level? start the bike up, and lean it overto see when it shuts off..

Atom, the code may stay in the computer but not a guarantee. Here is what the manual states:

OWhen the repair has been done, the LED light will not show fault codes any more.

*But even if the repair has been done, the ignition SW is turned off, or the battery is disconnected,all the fault codes remain in the ECU, which need(I think this was a typo here and they meant "may" instead of "need") not be absolutely erased.

I'm sure the dealers have a scanner as you described just most of us wouldn't have that to troubleshoot ourselfs. I have also disconnected plugs and played with the fault codes and yes they do go away once the problem is fixed on the F1 light. This is all just FYI stuff for anyone that has to troubleshoot the 10 using codes in the future. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
My bike has been full tilt left and right side, resting on the frame sliders, bike still ran.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
RickRoush03 said:
My bike has been full tilt left and right side, resting on the frame sliders, bike still ran.
How long was it leaned and running like that?

It shuts off the fuel pump which means there is still fuel in the line, it doesn't suck that out of the line.

Think how far you can get on an older bike with petcock on off but with fuel in the line.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
ZX10Miami said:
How long was it leaned and running like that?

It shuts off the fuel pump which means there is still fuel in the line, it doesn't suck that out of the line.

Think how far you can get on an older bike with petcock on off but with fuel in the line.

when the pump shuts off the bike will die period...fuel in the line or not. The fuel has to have pressure from the pump to fire the injectors. this applies to a FI bike only though.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
busaforhire said:
when the pump shuts off the bike will die period...fuel in the line or not. The fuel has to have pressure from the pump to fire the injectors. this applies to a FI bike only though.
good point, didn't think about that.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Another thing that wasn't mentioned is the Fuel injectors are also shutdown and the ignition system.

I have one of my 10s on the lift right now and can perform a test using my magnetiec angle finder to find the true shut-off point, just for shits and grins. I'll let you guys now if I try that.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
KidCapri50 said:
The thing is it was long semi sharp turn, I was in second and doing about thirty, when the bike shut off I naturally looked down at my gaudes as I pulled the clutch in and I was caught off gaurd.
me being caught of gaurd is what fucked me

Are you stock geared??

30mph in second gear is like 2500rpm or so, sure you didn't just bog it down??

And 30mph in a long semi sharp turn, I don't think you'd be carrying enough lean angle to worry about the sensor shutting it off (unless it's fugg'd up?)

FWIW: Don't worry about your bike in the middle of a turn, looking down midturn is asking for a wreak, look where you want to go...after you make it thru the turn then deal with the problem on the side of the road

Hope you get it sorted out, good luck

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
bluedevil said:
I have one of my 10s on the lift right now and can perform a test using my magnetiec angle finder to find the true shut-off point, just for shits and grins. I'll let you guys now if I try that.
Well, this test just fugged me up bad today. No expert on the 10 but would like to say I'm better than most and then BAMM, major PITA today. :badteeth:

You guys heard of curiosity killed the cat? Well it got me good today.

Here's the story, I have a track bike I am selling and was putting it back to stock form. The tank was already out off the bike, so I removed the bracket that holds the "tip over" sensor to test when it shuts the bike down by a magnetic angle finder.

Next, installed the tank with the tip over switch on the outside of the bike, so I can test.

Next, started the bike and started to move the tip over switch from horizontal to verticall, and then at 75 DEGREE ANGLE, the bike shuts down. I'm like cool, I got my answer when that switch kicks in.

Next, put the switch back to normal and tank mounted now, start the bike and guess what?
FUGGEN F1 CODE 41...FUEL INJECTOR #1 PROBLEM. ALL CODES ARE TO NOT TO REGISTER WHEN PROBLEMS GO AWAY PER ZX10R MANUEL PAGE 3-39J

Luckly, I have another 10 to help me troubleshoot, I took my good ECU from my Blue 10 and put into the black one I was working on....Now no F1 light. Now I put the Black ECU into my Blue 10....F1 light is now on my Blue bike.

I did a panic, because the black 10 is ready to be sold soon. I started calling every junk yard and wholesaler in the country, and got lots of quotes the cheapest so far $600. :spit:

Then, I got the bike ready for storage until I can get a new ECU, but during that time I started to THINK :idea:

Since my background is in Electronic mostly in the Air Force, which I believe gave me the direction and insight, I told myself to re-install the BAD ECU and ride with it because the bike didn't seem to be "UNDERPOWERED AT STATIONARY REVS IN ANY RPM"maybe it needs prolong signals during "load" to erase the code. Just a guess but was trying anything possible at this point, mostly because of the money involved to replace an ECU.

Then, it was time to bring the Black 10 off the lift and get ready for storage, but I wanted to run it for atleast 10min. first before I bought a new ECU and run it some.

Bike is now off the lift and I start to bring it into the garage, because my ramp brings it out of the garage then I go foward.

Well, guess what? Fuggen F1 light gone as I power up to mid point of the garage. What a fuggen joy. :eek:ccasion1 :eek:ccasion1

I guess the main reason I an telling you guys this is because I have always been right on the ECU codes should disapear, but now it's a matter of WHEN they do.

If the bike runs good and you still have codes ride that mother first. Just don't want to see someone else get caught in the WRONG direction like me :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I don't know how this works. But say, for instance, that the lean indicator is not oriented correctly or malfunctioning and shuts the bike down without really being tipped over enough. The bike would think it is orerating normally, wouldn't it? Would it write a trouble code for what it thinks is proper operation?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
bluedevil said:
Luckly, I have another 10 to help me troubleshoot, I took my good ECU from my Blue 10 and put into the black one I was working on....Now no F1 light. Now I put the Black ECU into my Blue 10....F1 light is now on my Blue bike.
Black 10's are so tempermental... I'm surprised they run at all.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts