Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So one of my friends who has the exact same bike. The 2007 Kawi ninja zx10r. Was just recently riding around when supposably the cylinder or something in that area went out and blew through his motor. I guess the kid who was riding next to him got hit by some parts. I don't know I wasn't there. Havent even seen the bike. He heard that the bike has a common issue with this and it happens to these models. So my question would be has anybody else heard this cuz ive never heard of it

·
Registered
973 Posts
threw a rod is sometimes common with lots of abuse or maintenance neglect....hit with parts though...thats possible...but hard to imagine, unless the dude was right behind him

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
yea I cant see throwing a rod and hitting somebody if he was on the side. Maybe the basket blew? get some pictures or atleast what side it was on

·
Does not drive into smoke
2,156 Posts
He heard that the bike has a common issue with this and it happens to these models.
Motor blowing up is not a particularly common event with any model of the 10.

Some bikes from 2004 have a generator issue that can make it fall apart, but even if that happened, there would be no parts flying out of the bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reclarrify

So it wasn't the cylinder, pistons, or rods. It was the clutch basket blew apart. Like almost grenaded off the side. Have you heard about the clutch having issues or ever doing that b4. Somebody told him that it was a huge problem and happened a lot in these models. But I highly doubt that. I know in some models the stators are an issue. But it was the clutch I guess. I think he was just abusing the motorcycle and like someone said maintnance neglect

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
That doesnt happen a lot but it soes happen. I just orsered a billet basket to avoid this when I build my motor

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya I was just asking if anyone has heard of this cuz we have the exact same bike. Both of us are the second owners and his had more miles than mine did when purchased. He stunts his but I just ride mine

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
Yes, the clutch basket rivets are a known issue. There has been a decent amount of members reporting of basket failures, but not what I would consider a "huge issue" or a "common problem". The rivets tend to break when abused or used for drag racing, which is why people get them welded or replaced to reinforce them if using them in these types of scenarios. They can fail with prolonged abuse.

If the rivets on the back side of the basket let go, the whole assembly is floating inside the clutch cover. If they let go at speed, bad things will happen with all of those parts flying around. Not much you can do maintenance-wise to prevent it from happening besides taking preventative measures if you intend on doing these types of things.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts