Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so bare with me while i try to explain what is wrong. And I am pretty sure this is some easy fix that will make me feel dumb... anyway...

I have a '11 zx10 that I am converting to a track bike. I stripped all the factory bodywork. I kept the TOS and have it mounted where the exhaust valve servo was (servo buddy in place). The TOS is mounted in the correct position. I also installed the Woodcraft keyswitch eliminator. After I installed that, I verified that the ignition turned on and that the bike would start. Ran it for about 4 or 5 min at idle, turned it off and took a lunch break. Went back to it and removed all the stock lighting and passenger seat lock. Then I modified a top triple clamp piece to get rid of the empty hole where a keyswitch should be.

Then the problem started. I went to start it back up again to lube the chain I cleaned the day before and it wouldnt start. When I turn on the kill switch I hear the fuel pump run and prime like normal. I press the starter button and I hear the starter relay click once very loudly and the starter motor wont engage. I thought maybe it was a weak battery, so I picked up a new lithium ion battery (wow that thing is light). Pop it in and same exact issue.

I used a circuit tester hooked to the negative battery post and checked the starter side of the relay when trying to turn the motor over and confirmed it is getting power. Lifted the tank and traced the power wite from the relay to the starter and saw no kinks or frays.

I am stumped and pretty annoyed :dontknow: . Took a break to post this up hoping that someone has had the same prob and found a fix or someone knows what may be the issue. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Check your starter first, make sure it's working. If it's working then look at the starter solenoid and wiring, test it, not just look at it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Starting with the simple, clutch and kickstand switches?
I forgot to mention that I did check these as well. I even went as far as jumpering the kickstand switch to make sure it wasnt the faulty. Clutch switch was fine too.

Check your starter first, make sure it's working. If it's working then look at the starter solenoid and wiring, test it, not just look at it.
I took the power wire from the starter side of the solenoid and connected it to the positive on the battery and the starter didnt do anything. Is there possibly a fuse I am missing somewhere? I looked at every fuse I could find and they all are good to go. :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Starter isn't working if you give it + and it doesn't do anything. You need a starter, unless the wire that was between the starter and the + side of a battery is damaged.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Starter isn't working if you give it + and it doesn't do anything. You need a starter, unless the wire that was between the starter and the + side of a battery is damaged.
Yeah I thought the same at first. But there was literally nothing I did to the starter or wiring leading to it. I'll try tomorrow to look the whole way down that lead and see what I find

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
starter is an electric motor, you don't have to do anything to it, sometimes parts fail for no reason. But if you hook up electricity to an electric motor and the motor doesn't do anything............and the battery is good, it's the motor, regardless if you did anything to it or not.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
starter is an electric motor, you don't have to do anything to it, sometimes parts fail for no reason. But if you hook up electricity to an electric motor and the motor doesn't do anything............and the battery is good, it's the motor, regardless if you did anything to it or not.
Thanks. I'll be shopping for a new one then it sounds like. Unless it could be rebuilt?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it's the starter, does it jump start? It should.
Nope, I found the problem... so I went ahead and pulled the starter and it would not work when connected to power. It also would not spin at all when I attempted to spin it by hand. I disassembled it thinking maybe damaged or melted brushes... yeah not the case. All of the magnets were attached to the rotor. The epoxy that holds all the magnets to the can failed. So its not rebuild-able. So I scoured the net to find the right starter, including salvage shops (the few available to us in the bay area anyway) with no luck. Kawasaki wants $450 for a new one (um, no thanks). So what I did find is a Mitsuba SM-18 for a different bike. Same can, same output shaft, different mounting end piece. It was only 60 bucks. Hoping that I can just put my Zed end piece on the new one. Or, worse case, just use the can from the new one. Ill post up my results when the motor comes in today and I get home from work to tinker. If its anything that is more than easy, I'll post pics and a how to for anyone that has a similar issue in the future. I doubt this is a common problem. But you never know who it may help! Especially if it keeps someone from chucking another 450 bucks to kawasaki for a new one:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Nope, I found the problem... so I went ahead and pulled the starter and it would not work when connected to power. It also would not spin at all when I attempted to spin it by hand. I disassembled it thinking maybe damaged or melted brushes... yeah not the case. All of the magnets were attached to the rotor. The epoxy that holds all the magnets to the can failed. So its not rebuild-able. So I scoured the net to find the right starter, including salvage shops (the few available to us in the bay area anyway) with no luck. Kawasaki wants $450 for a new one (um, no thanks). So what I did find is a Mitsuba SM-18 for a different bike. Same can, same output shaft, different mounting end piece. It was only 60 bucks. Hoping that I can just put my Zed end piece on the new one. Or, worse case, just use the can from the new one. Ill post up my results when the motor comes in today and I get home from work to tinker. If its anything that is more than easy, I'll post pics and a how to for anyone that has a similar issue in the future. I doubt this is a common problem. But you never know who it may help! Especially if it keeps someone from chucking another 450 bucks to kawasaki for a new one:thumbsup:
Good job.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts