Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there
just recently tested my coils due to my 2009 zx10-r dropping a cylinder every now and again and in process of figuring out whats going on.
all 4 have a secondary reading of around 10.00 ohms.
but all 4 have no primary reading at all, even when flicking through different ohm's on multi-meter.
just wondering if anyone else has had this reading.

bike is ridden daily, usually starts to sputter at low rev when warmed up,

any information would be great as this is my first zx10

cheers

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
hi there
just recently tested my coils due to my 2009 zx10-r dropping a cylinder every now and again and in process of figuring out whats going on.
all 4 have a secondary reading of around 10.00 ohms.
but all 4 have no primary reading at all, even when flicking through different ohm's on multi-meter.
just wondering if anyone else has had this reading.

bike is ridden daily, usually starts to sputter at low rev when warmed up,

any information would be great as this is my first zx10

cheers

Your ignition coil primary resistance should be 1.2-1.6 Ohm, your secondary coil resistance should be around 9.4kohm. Can be seen in this video

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate, video was helpful, still not reading anything on the primary side on any of them.
guessing they're all bad

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
will try a different meter, secondary was measured on 20k ohms which is what i found on a different page to measure it, and it said to measure primary side on 200k ohms.
secondary was ranging from 9.90 to 10.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
will try a different meter, secondary was measured on 20k ohms which is what i found on a different page to measure it, and it said to measure primary side on 200k ohms.
secondary was ranging from 9.90 to 10.
I am not sure what pages that you're looking at, I probably wouldn't look there anymore if I was you. But lets use common sense here and basic logic. If primary resistance should be between 1.2-1.8 ohm.................why would you set your ohm meter to 200k ohm? Like if you need to measure something that's 5mm........................would you bring a ruler that measures in kilometers? :dontknow:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep alright then, only new to using these multi meters to test this sort of stuff but have been practicing.
thanks for the help anyway mate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts