Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Very impressive Mike! Those times are awesome for a SWB bike set up for road racing and a rider with limited time on the strip. Better than I was ever able to get SWB when I first started drag racing (motor was stock but bike was slammed and geared for drag racing).

Does the built motor have rods or any crank/case oiling mods done?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
If I had the money I would snatch this motor up. My gen3 is fast but not that fast.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ben; I looked at the oiling system, and it looked good to me. I did install new oil pump gears, and a new oil pump cover to make sure everything there was perfect. I also sealed the pump cover to the cases to prevent leakage. I also shimmed the oil pressure relief valve for more pressure. It does have the Kawasaki race crank, and rod bearings, and I measured all of the crank journals, rod big ends, and the individual bearing shells themselves to the 10 thousands and matched them all up for the perfect clearance of .002 I did hone the wristpin end of the rod for the proper clearance. Kawasaki's are always tight on the wrist pin. I was planning to put Carrillo rods in it the next time I was in there, but I am now building a Gen 4. I picked up a 2012 with 550 miles on it, and I will be pulling the engine shortly for the build. I want to get the bike to 400 lbs fully fueled, and I am looking for 200 HP. It should be a good commuter bike. Thanks. Mike.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
that kind of power works aginst u at the strip. stupid power bikes with your setup are very difficult to ride in the 1/4. I would just be trying to survive. that thing is faaaast. good guy, great builder, good luck with sale. looking forward to your gen 4.

·
Registered
871 Posts
that kind of power works aginst u at the strip. stupid power bikes with your setup are very difficult to ride in the 1/4. I would just be trying to survive. that thing is faaaast. good guy, great builder, good luck with sale. looking forward to your gen 4.
:+1: Very true! Slide that motor into my chassis though...:helmet:

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I don't know if you mentioned this. Is your bike geared at the track?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Cresent; I was one tooth down in the front, stock in the rear. I was always planning to go back to stock gearing to try to tame it down if I ever made it back to the strip. Mike.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
154mph!!! Awesome SWB times, and that's great mph too.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
What other mods are you selling? I working on building my g3 track bike.

·
Registered
545 Posts
how much do you want for the bike as is? cant say im not interested...

and then maybe you can sell the stock motor/components easier? win/win for you and win for me too of course :p
just a thought...

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Obsoiete; The problem is that I have already made plans to put the bike back to relatively stock, and sell it in the spring. I already have the parts for that, and a stock engine. I am also going to transfer a lot of the aftermarket parts that are on my Gen 3 to my new Gen 4. I have considered keeping the bike for trackdays, and such, and I am especially considering it after the way it ran yesterday, but it actually has too much power for that as you just can't use it. The engine really needs to be in a stretched bike where you can use the power. I am very excited to start my build on my Gen 4 and can't wait to get it done. Thanks. Mike.

·
Registered
545 Posts
no problem - my plan woulda been to take it from you and extend it as you said but yea just figured id ask - good luck with sale brother

·
Grease Monkey Bandit
929 Posts
Airborne; Thanks a bunch for posting those for me. I owe you one. In all my years of riding, it was definitely the hardest thing I have ever tried to get down the dragstrip. Running stock wheelbase with that kind of power was just crazy, and especially with the bike set up more road race oriented did not help. It's a little tougher being an amputee because when I go up to the line I have to reach down and pull my left leg up into position on the footpeg, and then walk the bike into stage on one leg while leaning it slightly to the right. I'm not making excuses though. It is what it is. Most of the day I just put on a exhibition show with mondo half track wheelies, and other crazy stunts. It really is a lot of fun, and I would like to go more, but I just hate to go when the track is busy, and spend all day there to get 3 - 4 passes. Thanks again Airborne. Mike.
Don't mention it. I got your phone number, I'll be calling you buggin you for tips and tricks lol.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Cory; No problem. Give me a call whenever you want. I will be happy to help. I know quite a bit about the Gen 3's, and Kawasaki engines for sure. I just started to pull the engine out of my Gen 4 today. I should have it ready to come out, and start the build tomorrow. It's definitly going to be a beast, but it will not have the Torque that my Gen 3 has. That bike is simply a beast. What did you think of the latest timeslips from this past weekend? Thanks. Mike.

·
Registered
772 Posts
A solid price will sell this engine,200 hp sounds right up my alley I'd run a 5.40 flat with ponies like that

·
Registered
1 Posts
Obsoiete; The problem is that I have already made plans to put the bike back to relatively stock, and sell it in the spring. I already have the parts for that, and a stock engine. I am also going to transfer a lot of the aftermarket parts that are on my Gen 3 to my new Gen 4. I have considered keeping the bike for trackdays, and such, and I am especially considering it after the way it ran yesterday, but it actually has too much power for that as you just can't use it. The engine really needs to be in a stretched bike where you can use the power. I am very excited to start my build on my Gen 4 and can't wait to get it done. Thanks. Mike.
Did you sell this motor? I know the post is old, but figured I check

21 - 37 of 37 Posts