Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello; Mike here. I have a fully built Bob Carpenter engine in my 08 Gen3. I am starting a build on a 2012 Gen 4 for next year, and I will be pulling the built engine out of my Gen 3 along with all the other aftermarket parts to put the bike back to stock to sell in the spring. I was wondering what you think would be a fair price for the complete engine. It has the Bob Carpenters 6200 dollar package in it. Kawasaki race crank, and rod bearings. The oil pressure relief valve has been shimmed for more pressure. The clutch basket has been welded. It has heavy duty clutch springs along with the release pin being milled slightly to allow more oil to the clutch. It also has the upgraded Gen 3 shift shaft installed. The engine has a new cam chain along with an APE billet cam chain tensioner. It has Carpenter J+E 3 mil piston kit, and the piston tops are polished, and piston ported. The cylinder head is a full race Carpenter head with 1 mm oversize Kawasaki race titanium intake valves, and stock titanium exhaust valves. It has Carpenter valve springs with carpenter titanium retainers. The cams are both 397 lift billet cams, and they are degreed in to Carpenters specs. The air injection is blocked off in the valve cover. The engine makes crazy HP, and especially Torque. The engine has 3800 miles on it since the build, and 1200 since being freshened. I am not looking for top dollar, just want to be fair. What do you think would be a fair price? I also have stock Throttle Bodies which have been bored to 46mm, and a PCV with full custom tune, and guhl flashed ECU which could be included for the ultimate turn key package. Engine is still in the bike, and fires right up every time, and runs great. I do have dyno sheets, time slips from the one time I took it to the dragstrip, and also a video showing it's performance to verify. I know this is a tough question, but what do you guys think price wise? Thanks. Mike.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a video from a track day at VIR in september. I am on the black 08 with the black and yellow leathers. The person filming is a friend of mine behind me who is a pretty good rider, and he is on a BMW S1000R. You can see how any time I can get on the gas, I just walk away from him. The 2 people in front of me are friends also. The guy right in front of me is on a ducati 1198 R, and the guy in front is on a BMW HP4. The video is not very long because my friend on the BMW crashes. Mike.

·
Registered
874 Posts
How about the those dyno sheets. Wondering if the HP claims of carpenter are legit and worth the cost of their service. This could greatly influence the value of the engine.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
What was done when it was refreshed? I'd do a leak down and compression test to help with the sale but don't expect too much. Buying a used motor is a gamble and a used built motor is not any easier. $3000 is a great deal but finding a trusting buyer willing to pay will be a bit of a task.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, but I do not have any drag racing videos as I only went to the track one time with it. I do have the timeslips though. Carpenters dyno numbers are optimistic to say the least. All dyno's are different as we know, and they can also be manipulated. Bike makes around 194 RWHP on 93 pump gas, and 90 Ft lbs of torque. I had a gen 1 previously that was built, and it weighed 395 lbs fully fueled and had 181 RWHP. The bike was a beast. When I ride this bike on the same roads hard that I know well, I have to be one gear higher than I was with the gen 1, otherwise it is just too much power. I know a guy with a modified strong running Gen3 and he has converted and tuned it for E-85 and on the same dyno, I am up over 10 Ft Lbs over him through the midrange. Most of the time I never even get near redline because as soon as you get into the meat of the powerband, it power wheelies, and then I just shortshift it into the next gear, even in the higher gears. I let a friend who has an 06 GSXR1000 with gearing and a power commander ide it, and he was blown away. He said my bike made more power at 8,000 than his did at 12,000. At the VIR trackday, I was doing huge power wheelies at 130 - 140 on the front straight, and was shortshifting all the gears, and riding wheelies on the long backstraight and still pulling away from any bike on the track. It's just a little too much power for stock wheelbase. I would love to see what it would do extended, but that's just not my thing. I like riding the twisties hard, and I like short wheelbase. Mike.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been racing, and riding built bikes for 30 years. I never leave any of my bikes stock. I normally go through the engine every winter, and freshen things up because I am just anal that way. I replaced the main, and rod bearings, new rod bolts, and nuts, new oil pump gears, new cam chain, new set of valve springs, new spark plus, adjusted the valves, checked cam timing and so on. The rings, and cylinders looked brand new, and did not have many miles, so I left them. I also did a few things that carpenter did not do. I shimmed the oil pressure relief, polished the crank, honed the wrist pin bore on the rods for better clearance, and also the wrist pin bores on the pistons. Any potential buyer is welcome to come start the bike cold, and listen to the engine run. They could drop the oil pan and check it to see that it is clean and nice with no metal in it. I just bought a 2012 with 551 miles on it. I have not even ridden it, and I will be pulling the engine out of it in about 2 weeks to start the build on it. Like I said, I do not ride stock bikes. I want to have the Gen 4 at 400 LBS fully fueled, and 200 HP. Mike.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
yea 3-3500k is damn good askin price for wats all been done to it. being built by Carpenter is just bonus because he knows how to make power.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dug out the timeslips from the one time that I took the bike to the drags. What is the easiest way to post them? Scan them, and then upload them? I will do my best, but I am not very good with computers. Mike.

·
Grease Monkey Bandit
929 Posts
I dug out the timeslips from the one time that I took the bike to the drags. What is the easiest way to post them? Scan them, and then upload them? I will do my best, but I am not very good with computers. Mike.
Take good pics with your phone. Get a photobucket account setup then upload them to there, then copy the "direct link" then when you are posting go to insert image link and enter in the "direct link" from photobucket and boom. Sounds like a bit but pretty simple. You have my number, give me a call if you need a hand or you can email them to me and I can post them in this thread for ya no biggie.

Good luck with sale and thanks for the advice you gave me over the phone. You seem like a good guy, I wouldn't have any issue doin business with ya again and would say you are a good seller. Whoever buys this thing better keep us updated on their build that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Damn man! Looks likes a fast bike. You sure know how to ride it fast, but you need to get off that seat in the turns :eek:ccasion1 Ride safe :wink:

Here is a video from a track day at VIR in september. I am on the black 08 with the black and yellow leathers. The person filming is a friend of mine behind me who is a pretty good rider, and he is on a BMW S1000R. You can see how any time I can get on the gas, I just walk away from him. The 2 people in front of me are friends also. The guy right in front of me is on a ducati 1198 R, and the guy in front is on a BMW HP4. The video is not very long because my friend on the BMW crashes. Mike.
VIR Full Course Crash - 9-10-13 @ 8 minutes - YouTube

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Boosted; I am limited as to how far that I can lean because I am a below knee amputee on my left leg. If I move around too much on the bike I lose track of where my prosthetic is, and it moves around on the footpeg a lot. The next time I do a trackday, I am going to try to secure it to the footpeg somehow, possibly with velcro. That video was taken at the end of the day in the next to last session. I actually bumped down to a slower class to ride with my friends. The 2 guys in front of me on the 1198R, and HP4 are both friends of mine, and very good riders. The guy behind me doing the filming is on a BMW 1000, and is also a good rider, but still learning. The instructor lead us out of the pits, and was holding us up. I passed my friend on the 1198R on the backstretch, but then I got cut off badly by the instructor, and had to follow him all the way down the hill, so my 2 friends in front of me got away. I them passed the instructor and decided to ride with my friend behind me. I was using the bikes power when I could, but I was not braking hard at all, and I was not pushing it in the turns. I kept waiting for my friend to pass me, and then I was going to follow him, and then he crashed because he was just riding too hard trying to keep up. Once I saw him crash, and I saw that he was up and OK, I had a clear track for quite a ways, so I started to really roll, and I actually caught my 2 friends in front of me, and actually lapped my other friend on an HP4 who started in the lane to the right of us. The instructors always say something to me about body position, but when they find out that I am an amputee, they always feel bad, and apologize. They are normally quite surprised that I can go as fast as I do without hanging off much. I really need to secure my boot to the peg anyways as I ground quite a bit off of my left boot dragging it badly at about 130 - 140 in the fast sweepers on the track. There was 100 bikes at the trackday, and I clearly had the fastest bike there. It was fun to be able to pass anybody at anytime when I could use the power. VIR is a great track, and the long course was just incredible. Mike.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Boosted; I am limited as to how far that I can lean because I am a below knee amputee on my left leg. If I move around too much on the bike I lose track of where my prosthetic is, and it moves around on the footpeg a lot. The next time I do a trackday, I am going to try to secure it to the footpeg somehow, possibly with velcro. That video was taken at the end of the day in the next to last session. I actually bumped down to a slower class to ride with my friends. The 2 guys in front of me on the 1198R, and HP4 are both friends of mine, and very good riders. The guy behind me doing the filming is on a BMW 1000, and is also a good rider, but still learning. The instructor lead us out of the pits, and was holding us up. I passed my friend on the 1198R on the backstretch, but then I got cut off badly by the instructor, and had to follow him all the way down the hill, so my 2 friends in front of me got away. I them passed the instructor and decided to ride with my friend behind me. I was using the bikes power when I could, but I was not braking hard at all, and I was not pushing it in the turns. I kept waiting for my friend to pass me, and then I was going to follow him, and then he crashed because he was just riding too hard trying to keep up. Once I saw him crash, and I saw that he was up and OK, I had a clear track for quite a ways, so I started to really roll, and I actually caught my 2 friends in front of me, and actually lapped my other friend on an HP4 who started in the lane to the right of us. The instructors always say something to me about body position, but when they find out that I am an amputee, they always feel bad, and apologize. They are normally quite surprised that I can go as fast as I do without hanging off much. I really need to secure my boot to the peg anyways as I ground quite a bit off of my left boot dragging it badly at about 130 - 140 in the fast sweepers on the track. There was 100 bikes at the trackday, and I clearly had the fastest bike there. It was fun to be able to pass anybody at anytime when I could use the power. VIR is a great track, and the long course was just incredible. Mike.
Rep to you buddy! Doing what you love in spite of the challenges. I couldn't do it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Wow! You sir deserve a lot of respect. Kudos to you my friend for doing such a great job riding given the circumstance :eek:ccasion1

There is a guy that competes locally who is parlayed below the hips and he still races. Straps his legs to the pegs and has bars raise at the back of the bike when he gets going, and lowers them when he stops to keep the bike upright.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Airborne; Thanks a bunch for posting those for me. I owe you one. In all my years of riding, it was definitely the hardest thing I have ever tried to get down the dragstrip. Running stock wheelbase with that kind of power was just crazy, and especially with the bike set up more road race oriented did not help. It's a little tougher being an amputee because when I go up to the line I have to reach down and pull my left leg up into position on the footpeg, and then walk the bike into stage on one leg while leaning it slightly to the right. I'm not making excuses though. It is what it is. Most of the day I just put on a exhibition show with mondo half track wheelies, and other crazy stunts. It really is a lot of fun, and I would like to go more, but I just hate to go when the track is busy, and spend all day there to get 3 - 4 passes. Thanks again Airborne. Mike.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts