Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Presentation and questions

3K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  Sebastian1000 
#1 ·
Hello all,
brand new member here from Australia.
I recently bought a track ready '04 ZX-10R and can't wait to take it to the track.
In the meantime i went over the bike and did some bits and pieces to suit my needs and learn a bit more about the bike.
Grips have been replaced
Healtech Quickshifter installed
forks were too tight so travel was stiff and i think i fixed that
Got full front brakes setup off a ZX-14R
Anything i need to be aware of? Bike has a 41 teeth rear sprocket and i think that is better than the stock 39.
Thank you :)

#2 ·
:welcome:

#7 ·
Thanks guys.
The steering damper is fitted already, should be a good piece to tame the tankslaps.
I am a bit concerned about the forks as they seem to be pretty stiff but i won't be able to see what's what until i take it on the track. Let's say that i have to soften up everything and it still feels stiff.
I know it is setup for a rider that is heavier than me but i could not get any info on oil and springs.

#8 ·
Wellcome Giovannidc!enjoy your stay here mate!I can honestly say the members!admin and moderators are a great bunch!there is plenty who can answer most questions on your 2004!what State you from here in Aus mate?Mr Honez(hi mate)gave you advice straight off the bat with steering damper but you have that covered!take care man

#10 ·
I'm in Victoria also!Eppalock about 20klm just SE of Bendigo!we are on 20acres and luv it!we sold up in Sorrento and moved here April 2013!so peaceful and plenty of Country roads but we have 2klm of unsealed roads before I hit Tarmac!the dust shits me so much it takes hours to clean my bike up lol!if I win tattslotto I will pay for someone to lay a metre wide strip of bitumen for 2 klm just to save the pia when I get home from a fang

#19 ·
Hi again guys, it appears that i should be heading to Broadford next Friday and i am hoping in a chill day to get to know the bike and introduce myself to this crazy bitch.
The big question mark are the forks, which appear to be setup for a bigger guy than i am, but we'll see how we go.
Also, in terms of rotors and pads what do you guys suggest? Happy to get spacers to switch to 320mm if there is improvement.

#20 ·
Gen1 for the win! Welcome to the forum!

Stock rotors are pretty decent for the Gen1. You already did the caliper swap from a ZX14 and that is the main mod that really improves braking. I also did a Brembo master cylinder which did wonders. I had my forks done with some Ohlins springs and some other bits for my weight. Seems you might just need to swap out the springs for a lighter setup. Are you running a stock rear shock? When I swapped mine out for a Penske it made a whole world of difference as well.

Hope you have a blast and you enjoy your Gen1!

#22 ·
Block off plates dont really achieve that much unless you going to get it dyno tuned, then they will ensure correct AFR data. Other than that you save bugger all weight and stop some popping and crackling on deceleration. Another benefit is it tidies up the cylinder head making for easier spark plug changes in the future. Like you said it's cheap so why not! Just don't expect any difference in performance.

#24 ·
So, Day 1 at the track for my Zx-10R.
Took me a while to get comfortable as we had some annoying light rain during the first session that put me in caution mode.
Still, sun came out and weather was hot so managed to get the hang of it.
Suspensions, funny stuff. Thought the forks were hard as a rock but the ziptie tells me that i am bottoming out at 4 clicks out from 17 total.
Shock feels good, had some wear on the trailing edge but 4 more clicks of rebound seemed to fix this.
Now, onto issues. During the 3rd session i had coolant come out of the overflow hose and haven't managed to get a steady level of fluid after that. Just checked the oil from the window and it doesn't seem to be milky, also no white smoke detected from the exhaust.
Any suggestions? During my afternoon session i was around 88 degrees Celsius so i think it kind of worked.

Attachments

#26 ·
Exactly, SU3020 is the stamped part number on top of the shock. It only means it is configured that way. A KA345 is basically the same shock but the reservoir is in a different orientation and the preload adjuster too.
As far as the tank goes, bought one for 80 AUD and might fit it now as it is rust free.

#27 · (Edited)
Good to get a tank cheap. Are you running a 50 or 55 rear tire? Also what glass is that? Stock fork spring rate is 1 kg/mm...what's your race weight? What are you running for coolant? What temps were you seeing? edit: reread for the 88c/whoops not too bad

Anyways, welcome and enjoy the 1st gen. What are you impressions thus far? :dontknow:

#29 ·
80 vs 2160 for a tank lol nice. Very cool to see you tracked the 1000. I would think the more you acclimate to the 10R the bigger the differences will feel as it weighs 70-80lbs less and makes about 40 more whp stock vs stock. The 2.5inch or so wheelbase difference should also be felt too. Subbed :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.