Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a new rear PP (190/50) put on. My is question is how long do I need to run it before I can start really leaning over on it? I noticed today that as I got near the edge of the tire in mid turn (>1/4 in.) it felt like the rear was about to slide out. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the slick texture from the tire being new other than just riding it until its worn all over?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
you could put it up on a stand in 2nd gear running and scuff it to the edges with 150grit sandpaper... or i live in va and i could take the chicken strps of them for you for $10 a side.....:crackup::crackup:...jus jokn bro....just dont push them to hard for about 100 miles and you'll be fine

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have also wondered about this topic. I have started going to some trackdays. Everyone recomends new or very close to new tires, but what about the scrub in time. I have only raced strip stuff before so this is something new to me. Would the sandpaper really work to just get the shineoff the tire, or was he just pulling our leg. I certainly have never seen anyone do that before.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The only thing you need to do in the race track with brand new tires is to give them 2 easy laps to warm up. After that, you're ready to go.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I have also wondered about this topic. I have started going to some trackdays. Everyone recomends new or very close to new tires, but what about the scrub in time. I have only raced strip stuff before so this is something new to me. Would the sandpaper really work to just get the shineoff the tire, or was he just pulling our leg. I certainly have never seen anyone do that before.
nah bro i was just messn round about the sandpaper.....it mite work who knows ... but i have never tryd it... i just always on the street give tires few mile 50-100, before i go crushing down on them to hard.....as far as track(ninja's rite) just give them 2 laps or so to come up to temp if you dont use tire warmers.... if you do they shd be good to go rite as you get on track ....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you could put it up on a stand in 2nd gear running and scuff it to the edges with 150grit sandpaper... or i live in va and i could take the chicken strps of them for you for $10 a side.....:crackup::crackup:...jus jokn bro....just dont push them to hard for about 100 miles and you'll be fine
haha...10 bucks huh? Sounds like a good deal. j/k. I have thought about taking something to scuff the tire, whether sandpaper or something else. I guess I'll just keep riding on it until its good to go. I thought I would ask about this topic since it's my first new tire (when I bought it, it had a PP w/ >50% tread left). Thanks for everyone's input.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Before this this topic came about I heard from a regular at the track that sand paper does the trick for new tires. Wouldn't mind hearing it from more regular track riders on taking sand paper to a new tire.

·
Registered
678 Posts
i have always taken a brillo pad to scuff in new tires.
just got my m3's put on today, i used 1 on the front and 2 on the back.
took about 15 min to do then i rode it as hard as i did my old tires.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Interesting info, I'd rather spend the time to scrub it off then slip out in a turn.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
meh, the only danger is if you take the brand new tires and do a full lean... Just ride a good bit slower than your normal pace and gradually increase your lean angles. The job gets done in 40 miles or less as long as you increase the lean angle slowly and progressively (meaning the new stuff gets scrubbed little by little) rather than allowing the full contact patch of "newness" on the asphalt. Thats all theres to it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts