Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you already know, I had to replace my stock tires recently. I decided to go with the Michelin Pilot Powers, even though they do not have a 190/55 rear in the Powers yet. I opted for the 120/70 front and the 190/50 rear. After a couple hundred miles, here's what I think 'bout the PPs thus far.

Those of you who have switched from either the BTO14s or the D208s/Qualifiers prolly noticed that the PPs have a different "feel" to them as soon as you pull out of your driveway/parking lot. For lack of a better term, I refer to one of these "feel characteristics" as "transitional resistance." I noticed this when going from the BTO14s to the PPs on my 05 6R, and to some extent I still noticed it (although not as pronounced) going from the Qualifiers to the PPs on my 06 10R. Basically, when the bike is leaned over in one direction, there is a "resistance" in immediately wanting to flick the bike to the opposite side (i.e. swerving, or in high speed switchbacks). This "resistance" isn't bad or un-nerving, but the bike may not feel quite as flickable (from side to side) because of it, or at least not as flickable as it did on the OEM tires. However, going from full upright to just the beginning of "turn in" the bike will feel like it's "falling into the turn," which is kinda un-nerving until you get used to it, and learn to use it to your advantage. Once leaned over the PPs are hella stable, and changing directions mid-turn (i.e. dodging gravels, or road kill, etc) is effortless and easily done by simply "weighting the pegs." I am not a racer, nor am I a pro. These are merely my observations as a somewhat average street rider. As far as the 190/50 rear profile is concerned, I don't think I'm missing a damn thing. The bike turns in fast, holds a tight line, and doesn't drift coming off the corner under throttle. Personally, I think the PPs compliment the 06 10R quite nicely, and shoulda come on it stock IMHO. Once the 190/55s are available I will prolly try them, and see if I can tell a difference ON THE STREET with all other things being equal (tire make, type, air pressures, etc).

For now, all I can say is that I'm hella happy with the PPs. The feel like they grip much better than the stock Qualifiers, hold a better line in the turns, and provide for faster turn in.

D

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stalker said:
Have you also change the height of your rear to make up for the difference between the 190/50 and 190/55?
Nope, haven't felt it needed anything. Handles great as is. I'm gonna check my front/rear sag settings and see if/how they were affected just for my own edification. But honestly I'm real happy with the handling as it is.

D

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Pretty good observations there sir... I noticed much the same. There was just this different feel from the first moment.... almost like the bike was 'floating' when you gave it that initial input. Once you get used to it, though, it just seems to vanish... and the bike feels much more stable than with the DQ's. But man oh man, they grip soooo much better when it's colder (be it the tires or the pavement), and they wear much better than the DQ's.

I agree that they are a better tire :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts