Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't recall the threads I read this on so Im creating a new one to hopefully answer your question. I've read some posts about people saying they can't power wheelie for the life of them. I can see where they are coming from if they weigh a little more than the average 180lb sport bike rider. I weight about 225 and the power wheelies dont come up as easy as for a rider that weights 45 lbs less. If you are one of these people, try sliding back on your seat a little and that front wheel will come up pretty easy.

I notice if I sit all the way up and crouch down behind the windscreen, I can open the throttle all the way and it seems to have a little trouble coming up but eventually does. If I move back a bit and do the same it seems that the few inches I move makes a huge difference. Play around with it but be safe!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I am 236 pounds and if I sit with y balls crushed against the tank it comes up like crazy especially if you roll on and off the throttle a little. Did it a bit ago at 122 mph in 4th without clutching it and pulling on the bars.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I am 236 pounds and if I sit with y balls crushed against the tank it comes up like crazy especially if you roll on and off the throttle a little. Did it a bit ago at 122 mph in 4th without clutching it and pulling on the bars.
damn I sure am glad I got my bike set up to not do that unless I try, would be a pain in the ass at the track and really slow me down.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
-1/+2 - problem solved :mrgreen:

Clutch is where its at anyways.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
damn I sure am glad I got my bike set up to not do that unless I try, would be a pain in the ass at the track and really slow me down.
Working on it. Took all the preload out and it keeps it down a little better, corner exit is a pain in the ass sometimes but keeps all interesting.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What year are you riding? I hear the 1st gen are "wheelie monsters".

I ride the 08 and if Im right up on the gas tank, it wheelies, but definitely takes a lot more juice than if I were a few inches back.

I think the problem some people may be having also is they open up their throttle slowly, which is a good thing if you're trying to do a controlled acceleration without getting the front end up but not a good thing if you want to wheelie. Just because you got the throttle wide open doesnt mean the front end is going to come up, it matters how fast you got to the throttle wide open.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I can only say I have to take it easy on the throttle, or that damn 10 goes up like a bronco in heat... :crackup: (I'm about 185lbs at 5'10")
well.... it does happen occasionally, without intention anyways, especially from a dead stop and then grabbing gears, sometimes at higher speeds when twisting a tad to much too fast... :mrgreen::mrgreen: just make sure your foot is on that thing on the right side, that does something to the rear wheel... what is that called again? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
What year are you riding? I hear the 1st gen are "wheelie monsters".

I ride the 08 and if Im right up on the gas tank, it wheelies, but definitely takes a lot more juice than if I were a few inches back.

I think the problem some people may be having also is they open up their throttle slowly, which is a good thing if you're trying to do a controlled acceleration without getting the front end up but not a good thing if you want to wheelie. Just because you got the throttle wide open doesnt mean the front end is going to come up, it matters how fast you got to the throttle wide open.
I don't roll on the throttle slowly (1/5 turn) I crack it almost everytime.
I won't disagree that the further back I sit the quicker it comes up, I am however trying to keep it on the ground so I stay forward.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I wheelied my 10r bone stock 6th gear power wheelies, just bounce her up!!! lol...

wheelies are obviously something you have to practice to do, once you get used to it it will be easier. if you ride about mid rpm's chop the throttle and crack it wide open WHILE standing up and bouncing on it while you chop the throttle off.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't roll on the throttle slowly (1/5 turn) I crack it almost everytime.
I won't disagree that the further back I sit the quicker it comes up, I am however trying to keep it on the ground so I stay forward.
see but your bike isnt stock. I was referring to stock bikes. (guess I should have specified).

How does that 1/5 insert work for you anyway? I've been wanting to get one.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can only say I have to take it easy on the throttle, or that damn 10 goes up like a bronco in heat... :crackup: (I'm about 185lbs at 5'10")
well.... it does happen occasionally, without intention anyways, especially from a dead stop and then grabbing gears, sometimes at higher speeds when twisting a tad to much too fast... :mrgreen::mrgreen: just make sure your foot is on that thing on the right side, that does something to the rear wheel... what is that called again? :mrgreen:
see thats my point though... youre 185lb... I could almost guarantee you that if your were an extra 40-50lbs heavier that front wheel wouldnt come up as easily as it does now... unless of course you changed your gearing or did some mods but Im talking about stock.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
see but your bike isnt stock. I was referring to stock bikes. (guess I should have specified).

How does that 1/5 insert work for you anyway? I've been wanting to get one.
Rifleman's insert is an excellent mod though takes some time to get used to as there isn't much twist to get fill thottle. You do need to get used to the bike's touchiness (??? i think that's a word) mid corner but I really like it.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
see thats my point though... youre 185lb... I could almost guarantee you that if your were an extra 40-50lbs heavier that front wheel wouldnt come up as easily as it does now... unless of course you changed your gearing or did some mods but Im talking about stock.
All about body position... not weight. Otherwise the bike would not come up with a passenger on, yet it does and even easier. If it requires less power to rotate than accelerate, that is the path the bike will take.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All about body position... not weight. Otherwise the bike would not come up with a passenger on, yet it does and even easier. If it requires less power to rotate than accelerate, that is the path the bike will take.
My point exactly, body positioning is the key, especially if you are heavier. More weight in the front, more power it needs to get up.

As far as the passenger its because the weight is in the back. The extra weight helps the front wheel come up even easier because of where that weight is placed. I took my wife out for a cruise this weekend and every little bit of throttle I would give it made the front end pop up about an inch or so... and she's only 125lbs. Its because between the torque and that extra weight in the back the front wheel becomes as light as a feather.

Ok... for you big guys (not necessarily fat but big:lol:) out there 220+, try a power wheelie sitting as far up as you can go and then get your ass on a diet and get down to about 180 and try that wheelie again. You will notice a HUGE difference. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rifleman's insert is an excellent mod though takes some time to get used to as there isn't much twist to get fill thottle. You do need to get used to the bike's touchiness (??? i think that's a word) mid corner but I really like it.
did you run into any problems installing it?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts