Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I should start out by saying hello and thank you! I've already used these forums to learn a lot about the bike before I even knew I would end up with one in my garage.

So I just bought a 2013 a few days ago. I am absolutely positive the modes were working because I drove it home in low power and traction 3 due to being intimidated by it. I am fairly certain the kickstand switch worked as well because I tried starting it with the kickstand down only to find it was in gear.

Brought the bike home, rode it a bit in Full power to familiarize myself and proceeded to pull off the right lower fairing to top off radiator fluid. Went to work and on the way home decided to go to low again... no bueno. Tried changing traction with the same results. While trying to figure this out on my own I also found it will start in gear with the kickstand down. Could I have loosened something? I removed the battery and the ECU and plugged them back in to see if that would help it; it didn't. As for the kickstand I unplugged the wiring to it and it would only start in neutral but kills when put into gear. I really don't know where to start from here.

Any pointers would be extremely helpful; the ECU idea came from a friend. I am not knowledgeable on these sport bikes. Ridden dirt bikes and cruisers for a fair amount of time and wanted a change.

Thank you.

·
Always On Mod
1,844 Posts
sounds like you may have a loose connector somewhere?

the kickstand unplugged is acting like it should, so maybe cleaning the switch will allow it to keep the bike from starting in gear with it down.

are you trying to change TC and power while moving? try just changing them with the key on but the bike not started yet. you should be able to change them while rolling but the throttle has to be closed

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
:welcome:

I have nothing new to add to what Animal said, but there is a ton of info he and others can give you. I guess it's better than being stuck in low power mode though. :wink: Good luck! :ayyy:

·
The Pace
7,163 Posts
Don't touch the bike. Buy Code's book Twist Wrist II from amazon. That is you're starting point; come back here while sorting out Code's concepts and many will help, me for sure. By dorking with the bike you're trying to get over your trauma of ownership, I suspect. The ONLY way you're get this bike is to dial into it and that's where Code comes into the picture. Do not think of yourself as unusual cause I think everyone starts at your point but usually long before a super enters the garage. On second thought, probably does happen a lot judging by low mileage on re-sale. Bottom line is that fear alone of the bike, any bike really, will create conditions of the bike wanting to get rid of the rider. Your PURPOSE now, conscious purpose, is to learn how the ride the bike so that dang machine will like you if not love you. Dorky, I know, but that concept is solid.

edit: I was just foolin with the sprocket and thought about this thread. When I studied the bike I tried to put myself into a mindset of not knowing the bike or how to ride. I felt the fear. I think we might want to remember this little problem when we run with cagers as maybe we look kinda scary to them. I hope not; if they do they sure seem to be used to us.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone,

I really appreciate the responses and yes... at least I wasn't stuck in low mode the whole time.

Finally had time to trace the wire under the airbox. Lets just say it didn't win a fight with the radiator fan. Got it fixed and tied up the wires so this shouldn't happen again.

As for Twist of the Wrist, I already have both volumes :). I had no intention of sounding new to motorcycles, I've ridden for 20 years, half of which was racing motocross. Being intimidated was due to a new bike/experience. Definitely didn't want to be the guy that laid it over driving away. I was taught racing with the motto of, "As soon as you think you have mastered the machine, the machine will teach you a lesson.".

Attachments

·
The Pace
7,163 Posts
Thanks everyone,

I really appreciate the responses and yes... at least I wasn't stuck in low mode the whole time.

Finally had time to trace the wire under the airbox. Lets just say it didn't win a fight with the radiator fan. Got it fixed and tied up the wires so this shouldn't happen again.

As for Twist of the Wrist, I already have both volumes :). I had no intention of sounding new to motorcycles, I've ridden for 20 years, half of which was racing motocross. Being intimidated was due to a new bike/experience. Definitely didn't want to be the guy that laid it over driving away. I was taught racing with the motto of, "As soon as you think you have mastered the machine, the machine will teach you a lesson.".
yes, so you may appreciate this: I had this g4 go to the dealer as bought the extended as the '11 g4 blew up with 50k of twists. Dealer tech returned the bike on the track mode which doesn't work for me as kinda need to see mph around here when the radar alerts. So I dorked it back to normal mode but forgot about the tc. It was on 3. Not knowing the tc mode I automatically adjusted by tweaking the throttle earlier. It took me 1200 miles (6 loops) before it occurred to me that it was taking the bike longer to reach normal speeds EVEN THOUGH I WAS HITTING NORMAL SPEEDS. The bike told me to hit the throttle harder earlier and I listened. took me awhile to listen to the bike telling me that the tc was on 3. lol. My point is not about anything but the bike. Twist Wrist points the way but the bike does the talking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts