Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard alot of people cutting the silencer can to shorten them. I've have also read that loss of power is the result of doing it. Can anybody chime in with proof or opinions about if its b.s or if its true

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I've heard alot of people cutting the silencer can to shorten them. I've have also read that loss of power is the result of doing it. Can anybody chime in with proof or opinions about if its b.s or if its true
I call bs. I cut down my Akros and had a new custom map done. No power loss seen.....

·
Registered
249 Posts
if anything low end losss and topend gain!:headshake

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im lookin to cut down the can on a full TI comp. Arrow system. But want to make sure I wont lose any power

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,556 Posts
leave it alone please i though u had som BS pipe like a 2bros or yosh.....

i just got a Full Arrow also wouldnt even think of touching her with blade!!
Yes u will loose power its made that lenght for a reason!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Some of the cans for the Gen 1 was sticking past the end of tail section. It look like a log on the bike :lol:. Its all in what you like. with a Gen 2 its no need to chop the can or cans because it a undertail. You just see part of the can and the cans are short anyway. How much HP did you lose???

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Post a pic and have a photoshopped version of it shortened. I would also just hack it down a couple inches.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i dont know how to post pics......i got a pic of the system mounted by using google: arrow exhaust 08zx10r. and this forum pops up and its the first post. jingalls1000 has the exhaust

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Like mentioned, you'll loose some low end power but pick add it up top. It will likely throw off your tune/map but only slightly. Get it custom tuned or auto tune after and you'll be all good.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
leave it alone please i though u had som BS pipe like a 2bros or yosh.....

i just got a Full Arrow also wouldnt even think of touching her with blade!!
Yes u will loose power its made that lenght for a reason!!

That's like saying the bike came out and your not supposed to touch anything or it will harm it & you will lose power. I'm telling you this, even if your down on power, you might have lost MAYBE .5hp:crackup: out of what 165:wink: And even then after a tune it will be fine:mrgreen:

Cutting your exhaust won't do shit if you get it tuned after:eek:ccasion1

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,556 Posts
That's like saying the bike came out and your not supposed to touch anything or it will harm it & you will lose power. I'm telling you this, even if your down on power, you might have lost MAYBE .5hp:crackup: out of what 165:wink: And even then after a tune it will be fine:mrgreen:

Actually its not like saying that @all, they r made a certain length for performance reasons... if u don't think so then so be it... he never said if he was getting it tuned or not.... if u dont understand that then ill word it differetly it will be a Loss in the way the Power is delivered , some may like the power delivery of a full length can (like i do) vs a shorter can.. and ive had several and yes theres a difference!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I took about 5" off my can (mind you its an old zx10). It definately leaned it out, after some tuning it is fine. I will tell you this, depending on the internal structure of the actual 'muffler' its gonna get louder and in my case is pretty much just a straight through silencer now due to the internals in the can. There is definately more exhaust flowing out due to the shorter can.

·
Registered
249 Posts
well the way i understand it, length of exhaust is similar to length of intake runners/passageway, suppossed to have an effect of some sort, how exactly i just don't know. but shortening the pipe that is not terribly restricted only a couple/few inches i wouldn't think would change a whole lot power wise, it'd be a lil louder tho. but hell it might. i mean it's like the question i always wonder, if i change to a gp style exhaust that has a small can just behind the right side rearset from my stock undertails....wouldn't that change the powerband? sure it would...but how? so i'm like you...still wondering exactly what the best setup is for my bike

·
Registered
1,413 Posts

:+2::+2::+2:!! I cut down my Akro cans about 5in. Bike dynoed at 163.6 at the wheel before. had a new map done afterwards (also had new plugs, valves done..blah blah) and it finished with a run of 162.4 First dyno run was done a few yrs ago in Jan..pretty chilly. This time was done beginning of march this year. MUCH warmer this time around (35* f compared to 64* f) SO..cut em down if ya want..run it and at some point in time have a custom map done. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
118 Posts
if its a guy who can answer this question not that it hasnt, look up Kerry B. at areapnolimits.com, he'll gladly answer, shorter muffler=louder, top end hp;longer muffler=low to mid tq, its all in what you want and how you use your bike.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts