Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 zx-10 and was at a gas station with only regular and running on fumes so i put 10 buck in to get me by. before the tank was out it, the bike had a deep cruiser-like sound. backfires when off the throttle at +6000rpm. major power loss, sloppy idling. got about 6 tanks burnt since. I am thinking i fouled a plug or something. anybody been here of have some suggestions?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
there is a reason why there is a sticker on the tank that says not to put anything less than 90 octane.
Change the plugs and have your fingers crossed.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I really dont think that would cause you any problems unless you were hammering it and hearing a bunch of detonation. Were you and did you hear detonation?

·
Registered
286 Posts
all depends on how the bike is maintained.. now if your plugs were in great shape, you put in 87 and drove it home without reving it really you'd prob not see a difference..

now if the plugs were pretty worn and the 87 was bad to begin with you could have problems...

i think its safe to say its just plugs... plugs do strange things... id refrain from riding it until you get a chance to change the plugs.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I agree with Dante...running 87 isn't going to kill your bike unless you have a real aggressive tune and were beating the hell out of it. If it is related to that tank of gas, it wasn't the octane.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no it wasnt a hard run with the 87, just 50 miles on the highway till the next gas station when i filled up on 91. the bike does have 14000 miles. maybe just a coincidence, a plug or two could of already on the way out. thanks

·
Registered
251 Posts
the bike does have 14000 miles. maybe just a coincidence, a plug or two could of already on the way out. thanks
def time for new plugs at 14k mi. good luck with the tear down. take your time and make sure you have the spark plug tool.

hopefully that will fix it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts