Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please excuse my ignorance, I've never been big on this subject. When I look at my Power commander 3 map on my laptop I realize the numbers on top are the throttle position, and the numbers on the left side are the RPM's. and all the numbers in that chart are the fuel, but say for example "At 6000 rpm and 50% throttle the fuel is -10. What does that -10 mean???

·
Registered
288 Posts
it is pulling fuel from the stock fuel map... so less fuel there

this is what I think from doing some research of my own, let the experts chime in on this one

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
it's simply adding or taking fuel away at the given setting point is all.

·
Banned
262 Posts
Injectors have something known as a "duty cycle", or how much they are open, At idle you may see the duty cycle at 1-2% on your laptop when conneced to your power commander, not very much as not much fuel is needed at idle. If the injector is wide open, that would be 100% duty cycle.

Whatever the duty cycle is at 6000 RPMS and 50% throttle, it is being reduced by 10% if there is a -10 in that map column.

For example if the duty cycle is 20% in your example, then -10% would be a duty cycle of 18%. Thus the - or + additions to the map are not as great as it may seem.

To know what the actual duty cycle is at 6000 RPM's and 50% throttle you would need to load the motor on a dyno and watch the laptop, or use a LCD display out on the highway.

Most injectors at WFO throttle rarely get above 60% duty cycle.

Best of luck with your mapping.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Injectors have something known as a "duty cycle", or how much they are open, At idle you may see the duty cycle at 1-2% on your laptop when conneced to your power commander, not very much as not much fuel is needed at idle. If the injector is wide open, that would be 100% duty cycle.

Whatever the duty cycle is at 6000 RPMS and 50% throttle, it is being reduced by 10% if there is a -10 in that map column.

For example if the duty cycle is 20% in your example, then -10% would be a duty cycle of 18%. Thus the - or + additions to the map are not as great as it may seem.

To know what the actual duty cycle is at 6000 RPM's and 50% throttle you would need to load the motor on a dyno and watch the laptop, or use a LCD display out on the highway.

Most injectors at WFO throttle rarely get above 60% duty cycle.

Best of luck with your mapping.
:+1: Great detailed info. Rep'ed :thumbsup:

·
Registered
561 Posts
:shady: Ummm...that's kinda the whole point of having a PC on the bike is being able to make adjustments. :idea:
hellboytt- I'm with you bro... I have a PC3 on my bike no idea how to tune it or download new maps... guess I'll hook up the laptop at some point to figure it out. Anyone want to give us a crash course? Or point us in the right direction? BTW... My bike came with the PC3...

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts
Until you put a wideband lambda sensor and an air/fuel gauge on the bike, you're flying blind.

Once you put that gauge on there, be prepared for a lot of surprises.

Hint: It is NOT necessary to be running 11:1 (!) air/fuel ratio at 90 km/h cruise. That's what mine was like, completely stock.

Now, mine is 15:1 - 17:1 throughout the entire cruising/coastdown region and it only goes into the 13:1 range under heavy load, so it has the power, but it also has the gas mileage and range. Took A LOT of tweaking to get there.

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
hellboytt- I'm with you bro... I have a PC3 on my bike no idea how to tune it or download new maps... guess I'll hook up the laptop at some point to figure it out. Anyone want to give us a crash course? Or point us in the right direction? BTW... My bike came with the PC3...
To be COMPLETELY HONEST here .. Sometimes too much information is BAD .. Knowing how to make adjustments in these cells takes really knowing what your doing ..Can you ride ,,,,YES ...Do you do all your own work on your bike ...Prolly .....Should you be making AFR changes on your bike that could cause lean conditions that seize your engine at 12K Rpms 185 MPH ...Well you get the point ..

I would recommend taking your time learning the air fuel curve and if your going to do it anyways ...make small adjustments or get yourself the auto tune ...

Just my 2 cents ..I know you guys are just tired of relying on other people to get your map right ... i get it , but just dont want anyone getting hurt learning ..

·
Registered
249 Posts
:+1:

i rely on professional tuners to get my map right. there's no way "IMO" that it's worth it to me to run the risk of messing something up trying to fiddle with the PC3 myself over spending the $ on the dyno and having it done by someone who makes a living off being trusted to tune it correctly. But i do understand that some would prefer to learn and wish to go that route. Me personally, i to wish to learn as much about it as i can, but in this case...with it being so detrimental to the overall performance of my bike, i'll leave it in the hands of a pro while i sit back and ask all the silly questions to learn.

·
Registered
561 Posts
So I figured it out...just went to the power commander website and downloaded the software. Then I looked up my bike and all the maps available. Found the map I wanted and put it on thepc3. That's about as far as I'm gonna take it...bike is fast enough...for now

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
So I figured it out...just went to the power commander website and downloaded the software. Then I looked up my bike and all the maps available. Found the map I wanted and put it on thepc3. That's about as far as I'm gonna take it...bike is fast enough...for now

don't find it running too rich? gas mileage not poor? I've experienced this with their map.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts
Yep. The Power Commander standard maps are all way too rich in the part-load region. (So is the stock programming.)

If you want to fix this, you have to do it yourself. Either self-mapping or with a wide-band air/fuel ratio gauge and *sneak up* on leaner settings, don't go all the way in one step.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Umm...haven't noticed it running rich...gas mileage is ok, gas light comes on at about 100 miles. Its only the stock exhaust with aftermarket filter map anyway...

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yeah, I only have yoshi slip ons with the baffles in...and an aftermarket filter, so that was the only map I thought would work correctly. How would I know if it was running rich?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts