Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 08 zx10 (E8F) and I was planning to buy the power commander V. However, im new to this and have no idea what to do? Is it set up on computer? Do I bring it on a rolling road? If anyone could give me guidance that would be great

Mods are-
Slip on exhaust, not sure on the make but very open and loud!

16t front sprocket

Rifleman 1/5 turn throttle insert

Soon to be doing secondary butterfly removal and bmc air filter. Always run on 98 octane

·
Registered
197 Posts
They are pretty much plug and play. You can load a fuel map from dynojet, but they usually are garbage. If you want the best performance, you will need to bring it to a shop to have it custom tuned. There is also the option of autotune, but since your unfamiliar with the PC5, I wouldnt recommend you diving into the autotune software with minimul knowledge.

Also, why are you running 98 octane fuel?

·
Vendor
6,734 Posts
they are pretty much plug and play. You can load a fuel map from dynojet, but they usually are garbage. If you want the best performance, you will need to bring it to a shop to have it custom tuned. There is also the option of autotune, but since your unfamiliar with the pc5, i wouldnt recommend you diving into the autotune software with minimul knowledge.

Also, why are you running 98 octane fuel?
:+1:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah great.... I'll get one and see what its like and then get it set up properly if I need to.
I use 98 octane because I'm from UK and the choice is 95 or 98 at most stations.
It seems to run smoother on the higher octane.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ah ok... was curious because a lot of people think higher octane = more power which isn't true. Not sure how UK 98 compares to what we have in the states.

Oh and to compare dynojet map to custom tune. My gsxr600 picked up 11hp and also had smoother throttle control going from dynojet map to custom tune.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Not to be off topic but I have a power commander V off a 2012 zx6r. What is it compatable with?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ah ok... was curious because a lot of people think higher octane = more power which isn't true. Not sure how UK 98 compares to what we have in the states.

Oh and to compare dynojet map to custom tune. My gsxr600 picked up 11hp and also had smoother throttle control going from dynojet map to custom tune.
You picked up 11 HP on the GSXR with just a slip-on, or did you have other mods? That's an impressive gain for a 600.

OP, my personal rule of thumb is this: If my slip-on doesn't remove the cat, then I don't worry about a fuel controller. If the pipe removes the cat (like the M4 on my GSXR does) then I go for the custom tune. You can get by with the downloadable maps, but as an above poster mentioned, the downloaded maps aren't that great. They're slightly better than nothing IMO.

TBH, I'm kind of surprised that no one has mentioned just getting the ECU flashed first and using the fuel controller to fine tune the fuel map. Personally, if I had to buy a controller, I'd go with the Bazzaz before the PC, but that's just me and what I'm used to.

My $.02 anyways....:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Bry the flash on the 3rd Gen is not nearly the same as the 4th gen. The op has an 08 if you missed it.

Also for what its worth most research says that removing the secondary flies on the 3rd gen is not necessary and can be detrimental to optimum performance. Especially if you are gonna get a pcv and a dyno tune.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Bry the flash on the 3rd Gen is not nearly the same as the 4th gen. The op has an 08 if you missed it.

Also for what its worth most research says that removing the secondary flies on the 3rd gen is not necessary and can be detrimental to optimum performance. Especially if you are gonna get a pcv and a dyno tune.
Ok yeah. I did miss that. Thanks for pointing it out! Too many Mickey Ultra's.......

·
Registered
197 Posts
You picked up 11 HP on the GSXR with just a slip-on, or did you have other mods? That's an impressive gain for a 600.

OP, my personal rule of thumb is this: If my slip-on doesn't remove the cat, then I don't worry about a fuel controller. If the pipe removes the cat (like the M4 on my GSXR does) then I go for the custom tune. You can get by with the downloadable maps, but as an above poster mentioned, the downloaded maps aren't that great. They're slightly better than nothing IMO.

TBH, I'm kind of surprised that no one has mentioned just getting the ECU flashed first and using the fuel controller to fine tune the fuel map. Personally, if I had to buy a controller, I'd go with the Bazzaz before the PC, but that's just me and what I'm used to.

My $.02 anyways....:eek:ccasion1
My bike had a full Yoshimura with BMC race filter and that was it. It dynoed 5hp higher then another gsxr600 with the same exact mods on the same dyno. I must have got a bike built on a Monday instead of friday. :dontknow: Either way, point is, dynojet maps suck. It was robbing 11hp from me.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My bike had a full Yoshimura with BMC race filter and that was it. It dynoed 5hp higher then another gsxr600 with the same exact mods on the same dyno. I must have got a bike built on a Monday instead of friday. :dontknow: Either way, point is, dynojet maps suck. It was robbing 11hp from me.
LOL. I hate stuff built on Friday's. I was just curious though. Thanks for the insight!

But I do agree about the downloadable maps. Garbage.

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
tuneing

Forget the power commander stuff...
Go read the thread labeled DYI tuneing.....Key word there is woolich

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the advice,

I'm not riding the bike at the moment as I wanted to do all my mods in 1 go. so when I have my bmc filter and secondary's removed (which im still undecided about) I just get a PCV and bring it to a rolling road?
its that simple?
is there nothing else I need to buy with it?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks for all the advice,

I'm not riding the bike at the moment as I wanted to do all my mods in 1 go. so when I have my bmc filter and secondary's removed (which im still undecided about) I just get a PCV and bring it to a rolling road?
its that simple?
is there nothing else I need to buy with it?
If you're going to try to do your own fuel map, yes. You'll need the PC5 and the Autotune box. If you want to use a pre-made downloadable map from Dynojet, then all you need is the PC5.

Does the Gen 3 have the O2 bung already in the header? Or will you need to add one?

My suggestion is to get the PC5 but don't install it. Head to someone that has a dyno. Get a baseline map done before you do the mod's, then put the stuff on and dyno it. And have the dyno people build you a custom fuel map specifically for your bike.

With the money you'd spend on the Autotune, a custom map is going to cost about the same price and it will be a much better fuel map.

Also consider the Bazzaz ZFi. It's roughly the same price but it can be tuned out of the box to control all 8 injectors, rather than just the lower 4 that the PC5 would map.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Also consider the Bazzaz ZFi. It's roughly the same price but it can be tuned out of the box to control all 8 injectors, rather than just the lower 4 that the PC5 would map.
What is the advantage to control all 8 injectors over just the lower 4?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
02 bung?

erm.... there is 2 wires going into the exhaust about mid way, should they be removed and closed off?

If so why is that?

and yes I will try and get some more info on the bazzaz. its all new to me so im just looking for advice as to what mods are good and what are bad, overrated, destructive etc.

·
Registered
438 Posts
If you don't know much about bikes and tuning, it would be in your better intrest to just put a piggy back system on like pcv or bazzaz and have a local dyno shop tune it. BUT, if you have just a slip on and still have your cat, you aren't gonna make a whole lot of gains so don't get your hopes up. What it will do though is make your throttle smoother and maybe some mid range gains. Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a slip on but not sure on the make, and it does NOT have the cat.
this is the way i got the bike, however, the standard exhaust and cat came with it so would it be best to run it with that until i can get it properly tuned for the loud pipe?

I only ask as i was using it as an everyday bike, and whilst the pops and bangs sound good i cant help thinking its just not running as good as it could be.

standard exhaust with cat, then when i have all the mods do it all at the same time and get it tuned properly???

·
Registered
111 Posts
What is the advantage to control all 8 injectors over just the lower 4?
The upper injectors kick in during higher RPM's. Tuning them will gain a little more power and a smoother throttle. In reality, it's more of a perk than a necessity, but it's nice to know that the Bazzaz can tune 8 out of the box, where you'd need add the SFM from Dynojet if you wanted to tune the upper 4 with the PC.

02 bung?

erm.... there is 2 wires going into the exhaust about mid way, should they be removed and closed off?

If so why is that?

and yes I will try and get some more info on the bazzaz. its all new to me so im just looking for advice as to what mods are good and what are bad, overrated, destructive etc.
It may just be me, but are you understanding your options when it comes to tuning your bike with a fuel controller?

The o2 (oxygen) bung looks like this:

You'll need to have one of those on your header if you opt to tune the bike yourself with either the PowerCommander AutoTune, or the Bazzaz ZAFM.

If you don't know much about bikes and tuning, it would be in your better intrest to just put a piggy back system on like pcv or bazzaz and have a local dyno shop tune it. BUT, if you have just a slip on and still have your cat, you aren't gonna make a whole lot of gains so don't get your hopes up. What it will do though is make your throttle smoother and maybe some mid range gains. Good luck
+1.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have a slip on but not sure on the make, and it does NOT have the cat.
this is the way i got the bike, however, the standard exhaust and cat came with it so would it be best to run it with that until i can get it properly tuned for the loud pipe?

I only ask as i was using it as an everyday bike, and whilst the pops and bangs sound good i cant help thinking its just not running as good as it could be.

standard exhaust with cat, then when i have all the mods do it all at the same time and get it tuned properly???
When you put on an aftermarket or better exhaust system you are letting more exhaust get out amongst other things, but that's a whole nother topic. So if you are letting more exhaust out, you have to put more fuel in which is what a tune will do. You will be running lean, but not too lean to where you would have to get it tuned asap. Not that big of a deal now, but down the road it could be. My advice is keep comuting daily with your aftermarket setup, but get it tuned sooner than later.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts