Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know with certainty what the values in the map field represent when they indicate a + value or a - value. I'm guessing a negative is a leaner condition and positive is a richer condition but I'd only be guessing. And what does each value represent, ie. -20 is a value but in what units etc. Anyone know for certain? I always heard the stock map is on the lean side for emissions so if this is so and with the addition of an aftermarket pipe(should run leaner due to easier air flow) then why do most maps I see run a lot of negative values in the lower to mid column and row values? It just doesn't seem intuitive.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Bikes are the opposite of cars when it comes to adding performance parts. When you add a s/o, f/s, bmc or k&n filter it makes the bike go rich, not lean like you'd think. People here think that when you put one of those slash cut mid pipes on that it goes WAY lean. False. The +/- values are richer/leaner. In a thread here, can't remember which one, someone said that every point is .05 richer/leaner. i.e. -21 is 1.05 leaner than stock and vice versa.

·
Registered
477 Posts
It's an approx %'age. So -5 is ABOUT 5% less fuel (on other bikes) , but it varies from bike to bike. On the CBR1K, it's not quite that way coz of the twin injectors, so, because the PC only changes one set of those, you'll see way larger values to make the same changes that smaller values would make on a bike with a single set of injectors.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Negative numbers mean its removing fuel, positive means its adding fuel. To what extent i don't know but i don't think its a full % per digit. Ive seen maps with numbers in the high 20's. I doubt 25% more fuel is added (but i could be wrong).

But yea when you add a full system the exhaust will go rich in some areas of rpm, mainly lower rpm......but it does go lean up top.

A look at virtually any dyno map of an added exhaust will show you this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts