Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has a zx14 and was told that a pcv was a waste of money because it didn't add much hp and in some cases even lost hp. Does anynody have any good/bad experiences with a pcv or any suggestions? Currently the bike has m4 street slayer slip on, ivans wire mod, -1+2 sprockets, and maybe a new air filter if needed for noticeable performance gains. (Yes or no on air filter?)

Thanks for any input guys. Ride safe.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,756 Posts
The only way to get power out of a PCV or similar is to have it custom tuned. Not a waste of money, but not the first mod I'd be doing either. The ECU reflash will be the best money spent. But you'll likely still need the PCV to get the fueling correct. A PCV alone or using a downloaded map is not likely to be of any benefit.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
It's definitely all you need after you get a flash or do the wire mod. I have the Bazzaz ZFI with a quick shifter and trying to fit that unit in a GEN 4 ABS bike is a nightmare. The unit is so much bigger than a PCV. Also the PCV allows for 250rpm tuning increments where as others are 500rpm or higher. Unless you plan on spraying or modding the bike to where you need to use both sets of injectors the PCV is a great unit, it just has to be tuned properly as SkyDork mentioned.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I had one installed om my 2012 ZX14 with two brothers slip on. I only gained 10hp and 5 ft lbs tq and got 300 more rpm with a custom tune. But it is soo much smother and plulls like mad from any rpm. Haven't done the ecu flash yet.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
I got better gas mileage on my Gen 1 after I started to datalog and tune with my PCV/WB2 setup. Bike also is feeling smoother.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So if i did the wire mod, i wont need an ecu reflash? I think i could do the tuning myself but i thought pcv was fairly necessary if you add a pipe and want decent power. I'm shooting for as close to 200hp as possible eventually.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you r looking for 200rwhp then u r going the wrong direction. Email
Garth. I have flash, full graves, BMC, block offs. Retuned flash.

Getting 187.4 rwhp corrected. 195.75 uncorrected.

U have a long way to go.
U will need head work and thinner gasket for sure. Pcv with a good tune with reflash for extra rpms

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you're in need of a pc5 I have one for sale off my gen 4.....190 shipped.
I may take you up on that. And ya I know I cant get 200 with just boltons but I want to maximize the hp with just boltons for now. Whats the scoop on block off plates? I see that a lot of people have them and I read up a little on them but I'm not sure on all the details. I'd like to have every hp increasing bolt on possible for now and I was gonna look at engine work once my friend graduates from his motorcycle mechanic school.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,756 Posts
I may take you up on that. And ya I know I cant get 200 with just boltons but I want to maximize the hp with just boltons for now. Whats the scoop on block off plates? I see that a lot of people have them and I read up a little on them but I'm not sure on all the details. I'd like to have every hp increasing bolt on possible for now and I was gonna look at engine work once my friend graduates from his motorcycle mechanic school.
Block off plates do absolutely nothing for performance. They help eliminate after-firing in the exhaust with most aftermarket systems. And they can also help with tuning since the they block-off the Air Injection system. They do not change or affect your Air/Fuel ratio at all, but can through off the A/F readings if tuning with a probe in the exhaust. The dyno tuner will pinch off the air line on the dyno to get an accurate reading if block-off plates aren't installed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Block off plates do absolutely nothing for performance. They help eliminate after-firing in the exhaust with most aftermarket systems. And they can also help with tuning since the they block-off the Air Injection system. They do not change or affect your Air/Fuel ratio at all, but can through off the A/F readings if tuning with a probe in the exhaust. The dyno tuner will pinch off the air line on the dyno to get an accurate reading if block-off plates aren't installed.
How much are block off plates and how hard are they to install??

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,756 Posts
How much are block off plates and how hard are they to install??
I don't sell the block-off plates, so I'm not sure. They're usually in the $50 region depending on which you get. There's other ways to do the mod for free as well and plenty threads on here to detail the ways of blocking the air ports.

The plates go on top of the valve cover. You need to disassemble the bike down to the top of the motor to install. Not hard, but time consuming.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I bought my plates from 6sigma racing out of Phoenix here. I think they charge 25$ for block off plates. That are pretty stripped down(no logo or anything) just sheet Aluminum cut with a laser and painted is my guess but they do the job pretty well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts