Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,
I wanted to kill the quick shift on my power commander, while doing that, I thought I will also update the firmware. I did not know that I need to connect a 9 volt battery with the PC before I start updating the firmware. Anyway, what happened was, I ended up deleting the old firmware, and I can not install the new firmware unless I have the 9 volt battery connected, and the problem with that is that I do not have the adaptor :( (I bought the motorcycle with PC on it, and did not get any PC accesories with it).

I called up dinojet, and they are so nice that they said they will mail me the adaptor. However, it happened on last Friday, and I still have not received it. I am anxious to ride the bike :(.

Does any of you know any way around it (except for uninstalling the PC completely). Also, is there someone that may live near by NJ-07054, and can lend me the adaptor for a bit :).
Thanks.

·
Registered
620 Posts
You should be able to do it by hooking the 2 wires from a 9v battery to the PC, if you can get the wires to make good contact. Looking at the connector on the PCIII, with the 3 buttons facing you, the + terminal is on the top right (towards the back of the PC). The - is on the bottom left (side closest to the buttons)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should be able to do it by hooking the 2 wires from a 9v battery to the PC, if you can get the wires to make good contact. Looking at the connector on the PCIII, with the 3 buttons facing you, the + terminal is on the top right (towards the back of the PC). The - is on the bottom left (side closest to the buttons)
Seems like you are talking about a different PC... look at the pictures below for the PC I have. Also, if anyone can tell me the connections on this PC, is there any way to have a good connection of 9V battery with them? I can try, but if it gets disconnected, its not going to harm the PC.. right?
Take care.

Attachments

·
Registered
620 Posts
On the 9v connector for my PCIII there's only 2 wires to power it. I circled them in the picture.
P1010557.jpg

Reactions: MagicMavis

·
Registered
453 Posts
I thought that you can also make updates to the PC with the bike running and connected to your laptop. That's what I did when I activated my Dynojet Quickshifter.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought that you can also make updates to the PC with the bike running and connected to your laptop. That's what I did when I activated my Dynojet Quickshifter.
Yes, maybe for other stuff, but for updating the firmware, you have to shut off the motor and attach a 9 volt battery... :(

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alright guys :).
Dyno Jet people are really great, I got the adapter yesterday, and was able to update the firmware. :). Its working great now :).
Thanks again for your help.
Take care

·
Registered
196 Posts
Unfortunately looks like i'm a couple days too late to help you Umermariner, but the same thing happened to me not long ago. I guess I should've done more with the tags and stuff on that thread, so more people could find it and hopefully benefit.

I got my PC3 "used", but it was basically just new old-stock. It didn't come with the adapter, so I assumed that was just an "extra" or "optional" part, and wasn't really necessary for normal use. I went to update the old firmware after installing the unit, and learned the hard way how a single mouse-click can essentially render my bike useless.

NOBODY in Alaska stocks the 9v adapters, and there was no way in hell I was going to uninstall the unit or wait a week for a part that I needed for all of 60 seconds... It only took me 5-10 minutes to round up the parts from common household items and build the adapter, and about 1 minute to fix my firmware mistake. I figured i'd link to it in case this happens to anyone else in the future and they want\need to make a 9v adapter.

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74215&highlight=adapter

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unfortunately looks like i'm a couple days too late to help you Umermariner, but the same thing happened to me not long ago. I guess I should've done more with the tags and stuff on that thread, so more people could find it and hopefully benefit.

I got my PC3 "used", but it was basically just new old-stock. It didn't come with the adapter, so I assumed that was just an "extra" or "optional" part, and wasn't really necessary for normal use. I went to update the old firmware after installing the unit, and learned the hard way how a single mouse-click can essentially render my bike useless.

NOBODY in Alaska stocks the 9v adapters, and there was no way in hell I was going to uninstall the unit or wait a week for a part that I needed for all of 60 seconds... It only took me 5-10 minutes to round up the parts from common household items and build the adapter, and about 1 minute to fix my firmware mistake. I figured i'd link to it in case this happens to anyone else in the future and they wantneed to make a 9v adapter.

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74215&highlight=adapter

Wowwwwwwwwwwww... amazing :).. I wish I had seen that before, I wouldn't have to wait for a week...
Thanks anyway :)
Take care.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts