Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got hold of a pc5 for my gen4.
Just wondered if a generic map would be sufficient for my decat and slip on and k and n filter?
Not looking to modify it any more than what it already is engine wise

·
Registered
374 Posts
If your ECU is stock you would be looking to add fuel in the lean areas of the power curve. You could try a generic map and see how it feels, I remember looking at a few and they seemed a little rich, probably to error on the side of caution and stay away from lean condition.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your ECU is stock you would be looking to add fuel in the lean areas of the power curve. You could try a generic map and see how it feels, I remember looking at a few and they seemed a little rich, probably to error on the side of caution and stay away from lean condition.
Yes i expect they would be on the cautious side. Ecu is stock so im sure its far from perfect as it is with a decat

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I'm sure your gen4 has a lambda sensor and from experience buy a optimiser if your going to run that PCV cheers Peter

·
Registered
197 Posts
Find a map from dynojet that is similar to your modification and you will be fine. Like mentioned above, it will more than likely run rich. A custom tune would be the way to go if you can afford it though. Just make sure you find a good tuner in your area.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Find a map from dynojet that is similar to your modification and you will be fine. Like mentioned above, it will more than likely run rich. A custom tune would be the way to go if you can afford it though. Just make sure you find a good tuner in your area.
Don't agree...I've found the maps on the Dynojet site generally quite poor.

Especially at small throttle openings.

If you really want to stick to a PC5 rather than an ECU tune, then I suggest you get it dyno mapped.

Colchester Kawasaki will do that for you, or someone like Race Engineering in Great Dunmow (probably cheaper).

Still won't be as good as an ECU tune, but depends what you want.

·
Registered
197 Posts

Don't agree...I've found the maps on the Dynojet site generally quite poor.

Especially at small throttle openings.

If you really want to stick to a PC5 rather than an ECU tune, then I suggest you get it dyno mapped.

Still won't be as good as an ECU tune, but depends what you want.
I never said they were good maps, but if in a pinch, you can get by with them. I did on my gsxr600 for 3 years before getting it custom tuned. I will say this though, every bike I own here on out will be custom tuned right away.

·
Registered
200 Posts
When i asked mss they said they can flash ecu but they reccommend a pc5
If they really said that then that's crappy advice IMO.

If you go around the BSB paddock and ask teams whether they flash ECUs or use PowerCommanders, I'm pretty certain you'll hear the former.

I know for certain Buildbase have their ECUs flashed for example.

A PC5 can only add or take away fuel from the map built into the ECU...That's pretty much it (unless you start buying additional ignition modules)

With the ECU flash you get a finer grained fuel map...Plus a removal of all the various restrictions put in the ECU software.

I'm really quite surprised they would recommend the PC5 over an ECU flash, especially as I'm almost certain they don't use them on their race bikes.

I would take your bike to BSD and not use MSS.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fitted the pc5 today.
Apparently it was mapped to a bike with the same mods as mine so it should be fairly close.
It rode really good today and its very hard to say on gains without back to back testing but it certainly felt very quick today and seemed to pull harder in the midrange.
The only thing i noticed to be alot different was a bang coming out the exhaust on shut throttle.
This didnt happen every time but when going in and out of traffic it would wallop out the exhaust when revs came down lower.
Sounds good but must frighten the car drivers im overtaking

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
You need to install smog block off plates on the valve cover. Or at least plug the air inlet line to that system. That mod will stop the backfire on decel.
I prefer PC5 (or bazazz) for tuning custom maps. As a tuner, I get a simplified speedy way to adjust the fuel AND timing maps (buy the right model) in real time while I dyno. ECU flashing is much more time consuming as the bike must be turned off and the tuner must wait while the computer slowly re-writes the entire ECU of the bike. Im talking huge amounts of time wasted making small adjustments. So anybody that does much dyno work is going to prefer tuning with a PC5 or Bazazz over the ECU method.
HOWEVER, you still need the ECU flash done once! You must reflash the ECU at least once in order to remove the factory restrictions mentioned earlier. So, for max HP and easy tuning, Get the ECU flashed, then install a PC5 and have it mapped on the dyno. Auto-tune is a great feature of the PC5 if you add that option.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You need to install smog block off plates on the valve cover. Or at least plug the air inlet line to that system. That mod will stop the backfire on decel.
I prefer PC5 (or bazazz) for tuning custom maps. As a tuner, I get a simplified speedy way to adjust the fuel AND timing maps (buy the right model) in real time while I dyno. ECU flashing is much more time consuming as the bike must be turned off and the tuner must wait while the computer slowly re-writes the entire ECU of the bike. Im talking huge amounts of time wasted making small adjustments. So anybody that does much dyno work is going to prefer tuning with a PC5 or Bazazz over the ECU method.
HOWEVER, you still need the ECU flash done once! You must reflash the ECU at least once in order to remove the factory restrictions mentioned earlier. So, for max HP and easy tuning, Get the ECU flashed, then install a PC5 and have it mapped on the dyno. Auto-tune is a great feature of the PC5 if you add that option.
I have previously blocked the smog plates. The backfire is only since fitting the pc5 so its definately the pc5 causing it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts